“Chill atmosphere but the room wasn't great and bathroom not that clean”
Review of Soi 1 Guesthouse

Soi 1 Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
Soi 1 Guesthouse
Ranked #691 of 1,188 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Korea
“Chill atmosphere but the room wasn't great and bathroom not that clean”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I'm not sure why this place keeps touting how clean the bathrooms are, because they're not that clean. The dorm room was small and windowless, with the AC cranked to the limit. The bed were creaky and curved in the middle. The owner (?) was an expat was a kind man who had a lot of information for us, not only in Bangkok but to our next destination.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
While true that Only our 3 bed PVT dorm has no window ( if it did we'd get complaints from the noise on the street from that side) Most people love the "Cranking" Air con. I can only assume that you did not see the remote control, which if you did could have adjusted it to a warmer setting. the last guest must of liked it Cold, so left that temp on remote control.
About the bathrooms, We are a hostel and with 35+ guest we do a great job keeping our showers/toilets clean. But we can't look at them after every shower, and some people are a bit messy than others and don't consider the next person who may use them.
As the signs say on every level " If you see something that needs cleaning do not hesitate to notify the desk (24hrs) " We are more than happy to sort it out for you.
About the information you received from us,We are Glad you asked us and even more happy that it was useful to you on your journey!
Enjoy!! the journey is the Joy!!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed here in 4 bed dorm for 4 nights. The rate is uniform 400 baths. rooms are basic with AC only. Its a bit crappy place, though the behavior of staff is very good. The reception is on 2nd floor so when one arrives, s/he gets confused. There are many travel books available.

The place is not easily connected by public transport to Suwarnabhumi airport, and the nearest skytrain station Phloen Chit is also not very near (its around 800-1000 meters).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Cayman Islands
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I've stayed here several times and it has become my home in Bangkok. It's close to the skytrain and canals taxis. Only a short hop and you're at the major shopping malls of Siam. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable. Close to lots of nightlife. It's a great place to meet other people as I've made some good friends there. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Bex H
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thanks for your respected review, I say that because I see you have 21 reviews and 67 helpful votes. With your experience a review from you ,in my opinion, carries a bit more weight.
I'm Sure I'll see you again..
We Love the Irish!!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2011

not sure how this has such high ratings as it is very poor value for money for what they offer. besides being relatively clean, the communal area is very dingy with a few fans blowing smokey air around as the staff and guests are able to smoke in the lounge area. it was ok for meeting people but the area itself does not have an abundance of backpackers or other hostels nearby

the staff are helpful and the dorms are clean but this still wouldn't make me want to come back. for 80 baht more i moved to a new hostel with excellent facilities and lovely communal areas - i wouldn't go back to soi1 again

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Let me summarize your review,
It was ok for meeting people,
the staff are helpful and the dorms are clean.
for 80 baht more i moved to a new hostel.

We do allow smoking in the common room and on balcony and on rooftop. But not allowed in rooms or any place else on the property... If you are a Anti-smoker and book here you may well also want to spend another 3 dollars and book somewhere else... up to you. But please Don't advise everyone else NOT to stay here if your only complaint is smoking, WE keep the area well ventilated but it does bother Anti-smokers. regular non-smokers It's not a problem.
Suzhou, China
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We were disappointed in the location of this place. It was not near any of the tourist attractions and since we were only there for a few days, we spent a lot of time having to travel. We have stayed in a lot of hostels in China and even Phuket and this one was the dirtiest by far. I know it is a cheap hostel but we have stayed in better ones for the same price.

Another major headache was getting to Phuket. All of the research that we had done said we could get a bus from Bangkok straight to Phuket that would take 14 hours. I asked the hostel if they could book it for us and they said yes. We were told they would even pick us up. We had the worst experience ever. It did not go straight to Phuket. We went in a van to a travel agent and sat there for almost an hour. Then we had to walk for 20 minutes to get on the bus. We were on the bus for 12 hours and stopped somewhere (still don't know where we were). Then we sat in a ghetto "bus station" for over and hour and were told to get into the back of a truck to go to another travel agency. We waited there for an 45 minutes before we got into another van for the 4.5 hours to Phuket. Halfway there we had to switch vans again. Total time 22.5 hours.

I don't know why they book that way of travel but it took over 8 hours longer than it should have. I was furious, as were the other people from the hostel going to Phuket.

The poor state of the rooms, the bad location plus the travelling debacle were enough for me to not recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
"We were disappointed in the location of this place. It was not near any of the tourist attractions and since we were only there for a few days, we spent a lot of time having to travel."
We ARE the best Located Proper Hostel in Bangkok, No other can say the same or else they would. The problem you had is you did not ask how or care to read how on the info wall. We are located by many "tourist attractions" As you can read in detail on our web page and on other 3rd party booking sites and you will see that our location is well liked, but I assume you are solely referring to The Grand Palace area in the old city. Which if you would of inquired, you would of learned how to get there and back for LESS THAN 80 BAHT. But you didn't and jumped into a Taxi or Tuk-Tuk and got abused by the driver getting stuck in the Bangkok gridlock. going there from here you should never even be on a road. Come ask us readers and we will show you the best and funnest way to do the Old city.

"I don't know why they book that way of travel but it took over 8 hours longer than it should have. I was furious, as were the other people from the hostel going to Phuket"
At the time you booked I did say that the weather was bad down that way, You do realize that there was heavy Rain that caused sever flooding so much so that the train lines were unusable and main roads were stopped for traffic. The Bus company had to reroute from the main Hwy to get you where you were going or just stop until the flood went away ( which some other bus companies did) Yes, It took longer than normal, But for them getting you there safely I give them high marks. They did not make the journey longer. Why would they? It only adds to their cost and they did not charge anything above the original cost. So until They give me the power to change the weather, save your fury for something more constructive.

I'm really sorry you did not take advantage of the things we offer, We try but some who just arrive here think they know what and how to do things, For those reading this Please ask us or at least read the info wall, It WILL save you much Time and Money. And we really love helping, so much so that you don't even have to stay here to get our Expert free help.
Cheers,
soi1david
Taiwan
Reviewed 26 January 2011

great location, only 3 min walk from the nearest ASOK skytrain station. The place is situated in a bit shabby lane but the interior is neat and the price is not bad! I was there alone and enjoyed my last night in BKK. The first staff who helped me to check in was a bit slow but the manager (whom I later encountered) is much more efficient and helpful.
this is a better choice for backpackers or solo travelers.
The breakfast is far from grand but acceptable, for me, anyway.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thanks for mentioning our Great location! and the accessibility to public transport.
Yes, some of the staff may not know as much as I about Bangkok and S.E. Asia in general, But they are learning. I myself, as I live on the property , am often around and if needed for info will happily answer your questions.( been awhile since I've had a new question)
We are glad that we made your last night in Bangkok "Enjoyable".
Thank-you for your review.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 December 2010

As the title says, it's the only place I'd stay at in Bangkok, for a number of reasons.

1) Location - The location of this place is absolutely phenomenal. It's right off the Phloen Chit station of the BTS SkyTrain. It costs about 140 Baht to take the train to the guesthouse from Suvarnabhumi International Airport - a 15 min, 100 Baht express train trip to Makkasan Road, then a 20 Baht one station hop to Sukhumvit station on the MRT, then a two station 20 Baht trip to Phloen Chit on the BTS, then a 5 minute walk to the guesthouse from the station. Also a 5 minute walk from the water boat service on the canal, meaning you can see pretty much everything Bangkok has to offer using public transport and you won't get ripped off by tuk-tuks and taxi drivers, as you would if you stayed at Kho San road or someplace like that. To repeat, location, location, location!

2) Cleanliness - The rooms are spotless. This is the first time I've stayed at a shared-room hostel and I had my reservations, but they were totally unfounded. The rooms are spotless, the beds are soft (they are bunk beds and some of the upper beds creak when someone's on them, but otherwise they're great), and you get thick and clean blankets, which are a must because all the rooms are air-conditioned and get very nippy and cozy at night! Shared bathrooms and showers, but they're spotless and clean as well. Good hot water for showers, which for me is a must.

3) Last but not least, service - To put it simply, Dave is the man! He is super helpful and will do everything within his power to make sure you enjoy your stay both in his guesthouse as well as in Bangkok. On our first night, we arrived around 6 p.m. and had a quick shower and rest. He told us to head down to the river to see a festival going on. We did and it was a wonderful experience. We got to catch an open-air concert, eat some great street-food, and watch fireworks from a bridge over the Chao Phraya river. That first night was a great introduction to Bangkok and an indication that I was going to like this city very much!

The next evening, Dave led a group of us through a pub crawl! I can't imagine any other place where you also get a free tour guide in the proprietor of the hotel. He took care to ensure that all of us stayed with the group for safety and made sure that he kept track of people that left the group and checked-up on them later-on if needed.

We had booked a 7 a.m. bus trip to Siem Reap, Cambodia and I wanted another day in Bangkok. We informed Dave at 2 a.m. that we wanted to post-pone our trip and he told us that he would do his best to make it happen, but if he couldn't, he would personally wake us up at 6:30 a.m. And he actually did make it happen!

The man is a treasure-trove of information, as are his walls at the reception which contain info on pretty much everything in Bangkok.

You get all of this for 400 Baht a night, which is a steal in Bangkok. So like I said in the title, this is the only place I'd stay at in the city! Oh, and you get free wi-fi both in the reception and in your room, and it's pretty fast as well ...

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank vthuppil
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful review of us!!!
There are so many things I can comment on, But I'll just say this..
When you stay at Soi1guesthouse, You become family. And I'll do anything and everything to make anyone of my family Safe, Happy and Informed... In that order.
I have a very big Family :) and it's growing all the time.
Come join in....