“The only choice for real travellers. I've stayed 11 times since '06.”
Review of Soi 1 Guesthouse

Soi 1 Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
Soi 1 Guesthouse
Ranked #768 of 1,344 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Those in the know stay at Soi 1.

Soi 1 is not for everyone. This is why I love it. Every single detail about Dave's place is geared towards experience-seeking travelers. It's well-worn enough to keep out the tourists, and priced just high enough to keep out the hippies. Plenty of great restaurants/shopping/actitivies/bars around, and the location is absolutely perfect. Fifty steps will get you to the canal, and a hundred steps will get you to the BTS Sky Train.

If you're a tourist, look elsewhere. If however you're interested in really getting to know (and love) Bangkok, and want to meet some truly amazing folks, then this is the hostel for you. I've stayed here eleven times now since 2006.

As a very well traveled backpacker, I will happily vouch for Soi 1 as the premiere hostel in SE Asia. Bathroom areas, rooms, and common area are all spotless. Every square inch of the walls are plastered with vital information that will help you really enjoy Thailand. Most folks make the rookie mistake of staying at Khao San Rd. Yes, the rooms there are more modern and closer to the temples. Still, you'd be making a huge mistake by doing so. KSR is full of touts and is so far from the skytrain that you have to get everywhere by taxi. Go ahead and ask folks if they enjoyed Bangkok. If not, then I'll bet you they stayed at Khao San Road. By doing so, they never even got to see the real Bangkok.

In contrast, Soi 1 is located in the heart of the city. The guesthosue is just down the road from Phloen Chit on the Skytrain BTS. That's two stops from Siam. I've stayed here both for short trips to recharge between other countries, and also for two months at a go when taking a massage course in Phrom Pong. Dave is an absolute legend, and the folks that you meet here will certainly help you on your travels. They told me about Koh Rung in Cambodia long before it became popular, gave me the low-down on the Thai Islands, and the best insider tips to Vietnam.

After all of my travels, I have never, ever, ever, found a more "traveler" oriented place than Dave's Soi 1 Guesthouse. The truth is, we love it like this. We don't want it to modernize - there's real history here. The higher price keeps out the low-budget & low-experience escapees, and the well-worn feeling keeps out the flashpackers.

Soi 1 has everything you need and nothing that you don't. The rooms have AC full blast, I've never had to wait for a shower or toilet, the beds are super comfortable, blinds block all the sun (important when you land at midnight or stumble home at 6am), and there are netbooks to rent for wifi (free if you have your own device). If you really, truly want to have a SE Asia experience that will make other travelers jealous, then be sure to stay here. You will not regret it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Vinay R

Reviewed 27 January 2012

My family - husband, 2 kids, age 9 and 7 went to Bangkok for a short vacation and we wanted to explore Bangkok on a tight budget. We found this hostel/backpacker's place on the net. We were given a family room. it has a shower room,, double deck queen-sized bed and the air con works. on the plus side, it is very affordable, for 4 nights we spent around $200. The place is clean because the guest leave their slippers downstairs.
it is beside 7-11 so, food is no problem. there are also street foods which my kids love - sausages, fish balls etc. There are also fruit stalls below.
please see my complete review at www.infocomrade.com

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank marvifromdasma
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Rooms - I stayed at the 10 bed dormitory, which was airconned and cost 400B. Aircon worked nicely, quiet and made the room nice and chilly. The beds where comfortable, the towels kind of stank. But nothing to stimulate a gag reflex.

Staff - Some of them struggled to remove their eyes from the laptop when were approached. Some of them were helpful. In general pretty apathetic and disinterested.

Toilet - clean, with toilet paper. hot water in showers.

there was wi-fi reception everywhere in the guesthouse.

All in all, at 400B per bed in a 10 bed dormitory, this guesthouse is definitely not a budget option. Overpriced is the word. Nothing in the guesthouse was above average, and when you pay 400 for a bed, you expect it too be. The general attitude of the information on the walls is pretty cocky, and trying to play down the other guesthouses in area, which I didn't like.

Location is good, walking distance from skytrain and siam's big malls, very nice food markets nearby, 7/11, barber, massage and the infamous Nana area are also nearby.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank NimoDoodle
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I'm not sure why this place keeps touting how clean the bathrooms are, because they're not that clean. The dorm room was small and windowless, with the AC cranked to the limit. The bed were creaky and curved in the middle. The owner (?) was an expat was a kind man who had a lot of information for us, not only in Bangkok but to our next destination.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Soi1David, Owner at Soi 1 Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

While true that Only our 3 bed PVT dorm has no window ( if it did we'd get complaints from the noise on the street from that side) Most people love the "Cranking" Air con. I can only assume that you did not see the remote control, which if you did could have adjusted it to a warmer setting. the last guest must of liked it Cold, so left that temp on remote control.
About the bathrooms, We are a hostel and with 35+ guest we do a great job keeping our showers/toilets clean. But we can't look at them after every shower, and some people are a bit messy than others and don't consider the next person who may use them.
As the signs say on every level " If you see something that needs cleaning do not hesitate to notify the desk (24hrs) " We are more than happy to sort it out for you.
About the information you received from us,We are Glad you asked us and even more happy that it was useful to you on your journey!
Enjoy!! the journey is the Joy!!
Soi1david

Reviewed 19 July 2011

I stayed here in 4 bed dorm for 4 nights. The rate is uniform 400 baths. rooms are basic with AC only. Its a bit crappy place, though the behavior of staff is very good. The reception is on 2nd floor so when one arrives, s/he gets confused. There are many travel books available.

The place is not easily connected by public transport to Suwarnabhumi airport, and the nearest skytrain station Phloen Chit is also not very near (its around 800-1000 meters).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I've stayed here several times and it has become my home in Bangkok. It's close to the skytrain and canals taxis. Only a short hop and you're at the major shopping malls of Siam. The rooms are clean, beds are comfortable. Close to lots of nightlife. It's a great place to meet other people as I've made some good friends there. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Bex H

Thanks for your respected review, I say that because I see you have 21 reviews and 67 helpful votes. With your experience a review from you ,in my opinion, carries a bit more weight.
I'm Sure I'll see you again..
We Love the Irish!!
Soi1david

Reviewed 13 April 2011

not sure how this has such high ratings as it is very poor value for money for what they offer. besides being relatively clean, the communal area is very dingy with a few fans blowing smokey air around as the staff and guests are able to smoke in the lounge area. it was ok for meeting people but the area itself does not have an abundance of backpackers or other hostels nearby

the staff are helpful and the dorms are clean but this still wouldn't make me want to come back. for 80 baht more i moved to a new hostel with excellent facilities and lovely communal areas - i wouldn't go back to soi1 again

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo

Let me summarize your review,
It was ok for meeting people,
the staff are helpful and the dorms are clean.
for 80 baht more i moved to a new hostel.

We do allow smoking in the common room and on balcony and on rooftop. But not allowed in rooms or any place else on the property... If you are a Anti-smoker and book here you may well also want to spend another 3 dollars and book somewhere else... up to you. But please Don't advise everyone else NOT to stay here if your only complaint is smoking, WE keep the area well ventilated but it does bother Anti-smokers. regular non-smokers It's not a problem.