“Attentive Service and Excellent Value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok

Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok
Ranked #57 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Vancouver, CANADA
“Attentive Service and Excellent Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

Stayed for one night on December 23, 2011 right after spending one night at a new 5-star hotel nearby. At half the cost, Courtyard Marriott did NOT lose out and even came out on top in some areas.

Attentive Service:
Tikky (Hope I remember her name right) at the front desk embodied what attentive service is about. I arrived a little early (at 1330), was informed that my requested non-smoking room was not ready yet (which is fine) and was invited to use the gym and pool while I wait, which I gladly complied. After finishing a good workout an hour later I went back to the lobby level and went to Momo Cafe on site for a bite (Food was not bad, again, service was courteous and efficient). Tikky walked into the Cafe 20 minutes later and informed me that she did not want to keep me waiting (ok it is an hour after 2pm check in time) and would come back with my room key in a minute, which she did. What was most impressive was that she must have spotted me coming down the stairs after gym even though I did not swing by the front desk at all and yet she took the initiative to come to me with updates about my room and handed me the key in person. To me simple things like this IS what hospitality is about. In general the staff at front desk or at the cafe which I came across were all very delightful, willing to help without being intrusive.

Decor and condition of the property:
Courtyard's basic color scheme of mixing light and dark wood and granite in public area is classy while the color accent provided by soft fabric and leather is cheerful without screaming in your face with juvenile hyperactivity. All the material seem to be well maintained. Compared to the 5-star property where I stayed the previous night, Courtyard, while being much older (having undergone a renovation a few years earlier I believe), is actually in better shape. This is not a property with over-the-top opulence and glamour but something functional and yet comfortably stylish without the feeling of trying too hard.

Room:
Room 1401 is on 2nd highest floor. Keycard access in elevators required for all guestroom floors, I was warned about noise of maintenance upstairs during the day (window replacement) which was not bothersome to me at all (noisy fellow Chinese-speaking guests in the next room screaming in the hallway when they arrived in their room was another matter). Bed was comfortable, so was the fabric arm chair with ottoman. Shower only, with a showerhead that can almost simulate a rainshower-like effect. Good enough for me. I particularly appreciate the nightlight which was positioned under the bathroom counter top and nightstands. Even I am very sensitive to light I found the nightlight very adequate and yet not bothersome at all. Dimmable lamps on the nightstands and overhead reading lamps on the bed are appreciated. Bed is firm yet comfortable. If I must be picky, TV broadcast quality (same as the nearby 5-star hotel) was subpar with poor sound and looks grainy even on the 32in. The see-through glass pane between the sleeping area and the bathroom is good for some natural light penetration. The blind on the outside rather than inside the bathroom is, however, a puzzling decision. If one feels the need for privacy while in the bathroom, should the blind not be controlled from inside the bathroom? Perhaps I miss another blind accessible from the bathroom which I honestly did not check. Would love to be notified and corrected if that is indeed the case.

Breakfast:
Paid just shy of 530 Baht (all in) for the breakfast buffet. A combination of the typical western spread with some Asian selections, nothing fancy. Staff was again efficient and pleasant. Some sparrow may like to come check out what you are eating if you sit outside on the patio (cute or annoying, you decide). Freshly made waffles were nice and crunchy. For what it's worth, I've had similar quality and slightly better selection at a 4-star hotel in Hong Kong but at almost twice the price.

Gym and pool:
Gym has a nice view of the pool, with adequate equipment for a workout to burn off that buffet. Pool is, as in most hotels, not really for lap swimming although you can. Being on the Mezzanine floor and surrounded by tall highrises all around is not the most relaxing environment for sunbathing and swimming but then again I did not pay the price for Phuket neither. Moving on.

Location:
A short 3-minute walk from the Rajdamri BTS and a mere 10-minute stroll to Central World and all the other downtown shopping malls between Siam and Chitlom without the commotion of the main thoroughfare. My room (1401) faces east looking over to Soi Lang Suan. Luckily there is no tall building right across the street blocking me so it doesn't feel claustrophobic. The hotel is surrounded by other luxury highrises in the area.

All in all, very happy with my stay. I wish I had forgone the night at the 5-star hotel and stayed at Courtyard for 2 extra nights. Will definitely put Courtyard Marriott Bangkok on my shortlist for future visits.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Mr_Veggie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights in late November / early December. All public areas such as reception and pool area were very nice. Cafe was good value for lunch for hotel chain standards. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Good location close to shopping centers and skyrail stations. Room was good size and very nice. Only complaint was that air con seemed to give room a musty smell so may have needed a new filter.

• Stayed November 2011
7 Thank richbrisbane
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

We stayed overnight on December 3. The staff was extremely helpful in all ways, including (1) early check-in so we could change before meeting with our tour guide, (2) held our bags for 7 hours after we checked out the next morning until we were ready to go to the airport, (3) excellent recommendations (including maps) for food and foot massages. The staff spoke excellent english. The room was very nice, contemporary decor, very clean, good AC. Breakfast buffet was astounding (better than at our Phuket resort stay later that week). And the rates were quite reasonable as well. We have absolutely nothing bad to say. Good job!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Ken P
Hinckley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and found it was an ideal base for seeing Bangkok. The reception and rooms were very nice and better than a lot of other more expensive hotels. The breakfast was good but a little expensive and better value can be found in one of the nearby shopping centres.Tthe sky train station is a 3 min walk (or you can use the free hotel tuk tuk). Everything is very accessible from this location and I would stay here again if I return to Bangkok.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank paulkey
Kfar Vradim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

We are leaving the COurtyard Bangkok TMRW on route to Phuket. Amazing service, great rooms, excellent breakfast and a really nice pool. Only down side was the Jaccuzi not warmed up... Close to nice shopping and places to do

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank daveur
pattaya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Just completed my 67th night this year, at the Courtyard-Bangkok. This property is on a quiet side street, close to the BTS Station, Rachadameri, and to Central shopping malls. The property itself is very comfortable, modern, and all facilities, especially the fitness center and pool are ideal. But, the real key to the Courtyard Bangkok is the outstanding staff, from the guys at the entrance, to the frontdesk- Toto, the Front Desk Manager, Tikky and crew, to the restuarant, to maid service. The staff make me feel like I'm one of the family: friendly, accomodating, efficient, and very happy to help with anything. This stay, the hotel was fully booked, so despite a big crowd in the restuarant, our server, Nui, and the manager Noy, made sure that my group of three was happy. Highly recommned for great location, great value, and great service-just like a Marriott property is supposed to be...Congratulations to the management and staff.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, but I prefer a high floor room, corner.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank John B
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

First time staying in this hotel, first impression to me at the entrance was: it is a small hotel.

When comparing to other international brands staffs here were friendly, easy and helpful.

I stayed on 12/F, second highest floor, access card was required to come to this floor, feeling little bit more secured and quiet.

All basic things you need for a business trip were ready and sit in place. Room and toilet were clean, air quality was good, all equipment was working as expected. They were providing two bottles of water to me, each day, free.

Two power sockets on desk were for travelers, accepting all types of power sockets. Both cabled and wireless Internet connections were available. You were allowed to connect up to two devices wirelessly under your room free. If you are going to have more, bring your own wireless-enabled router would be a good idea. Internet connection at the room was OK, enough for all social networks and corporate VPN.

Desk was large enough to put 3 laptops (closely), IT monsters like me should be happy with this. LCD TV with 40 preset channels could help you to keep your room noisy, including my favorite Discovery Channel. Safe was available in the closet.

Hot water was always available for bath and washing hands, but no bathtab. People outside the toilet, on the bed I meant, could see what was happening inside the toilet, the people outside could pull down the curtain to keep the person inside feeling little bit more private.

Bed was OK, not as good as Sheraton, big enough, medium soft, clean. Pillow? Five in total, I did not have chance to try them all.

The chair in front of the desk was not comfortable to sit for long time to me. If you are going to sit for long time on this chair, you better put a pillow on your chair.

Noisy isolation of the door was not very good maybe because it was not carpet installed at the door.

View outside window ... street, other buildings ... less than 10% was the actual sky.

Room service, they told me the food should be arriving in 45 minutes, they came in around 30 minutes. Food were hot and in good taste. Good for people like me only had to stay in the room for days. Choices of food, unfortunately, were not many on the menu.

Thai people is easy and friendly, little tip like US$1 could be always good to them.

At the price of THB3,000 (~US100) per night with Internet and breakfast included, it should be good. Cheaper than the Holiday Inn Bangkok (Ploenchit) but bigger room here. To me I am going to stay in this hotel if I am going to visit Bangkok for work in future instead of Holiday Inn Bangkok.

Room Tip: To be a member of Marriot Rewards may help you to get a better room, always choose high floor and aw...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business