“An intimate private relaxing space”
Review of Maduzi Hotel

Maduzi Hotel
Ranked #94 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Penang Island, Malaysia
“An intimate private relaxing space”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I've stayed at the Maduzi Hotel twice now. On both occasions, I've travelled alone with the aim to just do a bit of sopping and mainly chill out. First time, I had a few niggles. I wasn't sure if I actually got my upgrade that I was supposed to by booking via the SLH and was a bit annoyed on one of the days as there was a meeting in the lounge area with people I can only assume were nothing to do with the Maduzi Hotel (going by the McDonalds cups they had) so I couldn't go in there. It didn't seem right that paying guests couldn't use the public area.

On my 2nd stay, I got my upgrade. Again, I just wanted to relax for a few days and that's exactly what I did. Occasionally I left the hotel for a bit of shopping and food, but I was happy just to stay there and read. On my 1st morning, I slipped in the shower but the staff were so helpful and attentive in patching me up. Even when I returned to my room later, non-slip mats had been put into the shower.

On both visits, I've found the communal areas to be quite cold in temperature. Maybe the staff don't notice it as they are moving around constantly. I always noticed it when I was having breakfast, at the bar or even in the lounge area.

The room on both stays were immaculately clean, breakfast was scrumptious and I really felt completely at home. My only niggle on my 2nd visit was that there just wasn't enough staff on at breakfast. Sometimes I would sit for ages waiting to get someone's attention. It wasn't that they were lazy - just that they were either at the reception desk, making drinks or doing something in the kitchen. On one morning, I was eating my breakfast very slowly as my bacon was burnt and I wanted to change it. I was half way through my breakfast before the waitress came past. She said she'd get me some fresh bacon, so I asked her if she could keep what was left on my plate wam until the bacon was ready. Later on, she came back with a whole new breakfast for me! I was highly embarrassed at having so much food (but also secretly pleased)! It really was extremely tasty!

But in saying the above, nowhere is going to be exactly perfect, because each guest has different tastes and different needs. But in my opinion, in comparison with many other hotels I have stayed in, the Maduzi is without a doubt my favourite. It's extremely clean and comfortable, the staff are so so helpful and friendly, there is complimentary tea and coffee available all day and it just has such a homely relaxing feel to it. I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Dogpaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I stayed at the Maduzi for 3 nights in Bangkok before heading home from Thailand.
I had a corner room and was VERY impressed with the quality, style and amenities!
The staff was very courteous, the location was great, about a 5 minute walk to the Sky Train.
My only issue was having to pay about $25 for a double Jack Daniels. The price of the dring did not seem to go along with everything else. (they did give me a free drink at the bar to make up for it, but when I'm traveling I hate feeling taken advantage of and that does seem to happen alot in Thailand.

Room Tip: The corner room was large and spacious with a very nice bathroom. I did not see any other rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Maduzi, Owner at Maduzi Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear Khun Daniel,

We truly appreciate the positive review you have given us. We hope to clarify the prices of our drinks to other readers as follows.
Free welcome drink of your choice (local beer, house wine or cocktail, except premium liquor such as Blue Label).
Free one drink for each in house guest during Happy Hour between 6pm to 7pm every night, and available are special cocktail of the night, house wine and local beer.
On our drink list, cocktails are 400 THB, and liquors (double shots) range from 380THB to 480 THB. Jack Daniel is 400 THB for double shot, which is about 13 USD. House wine ranges from 390 THB to 500 THB. The price includes the service charge but not VAT tax which is currently 7%.

I hope this will clarify our drinks prices and policy to other readers. It is a typical hotel drink rates in Thailand. We hope that the happy hour and the welcome drink will entice the guests to our hotel. We felt very sorry that you may have felt being taken advantage of while you are in Thailand and I can see why you may have felt that way because the prices in hotels are usually 10 times more than the street food, due to a lot more expenses and overheads.

Kind Regards,
Team Maduzi
Singapore
Reviewed 1 October 2012

After travelling many times to Bangkok and staying at larger hotels such as The Sukhothai and the Banyan Tree, I found a great small boutique hotel called Maduzi. It is located of Sukhumvit Road near one of the train stations. The rooms are one of the largest and best equipped in Bangkok while the hotel service is excellent. There is a small gym and no pool but for a business trip this is not necessary. The restaurant is great and Long Table restaurant is a walking distance in the same street.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Reviewed 1 October 2012

The suites are very nice, with Bose home theater, huge bed, 8' wide, custom bedding, great art collection, if you stay in a 72 sq meters, suite as I did, you also get a nice office space, with scanner, printer, Bose sound system, day bed, etc.

But the most important and what is the most valuable is Maduzi's team, starting with Wikki, which is the owner and operation manager, she is super nice lady, always ready to help, we stay last August for our daughter wedding, even if was me and my wife, that was staying at the hotel, and the wedding has been in another restaurant, she help me organize, TRANSLATE! ! Which is a very hard issue for any foreigner that comes to Thailand. She and all her team, was whiling to help us, to get 12 Tuk Tuks, but also to communicate with the drivers that obviously didn't speaks English; She also help my daughter that wasn't staying at the hotel, to find and even driving her to the hair stylist, the nail saloon, find a place to make some special request flower arrangements, and so on.

I simply was delighted with their service attitude, their friendliness, their attention to detail; it is important to say that there has been some language issues, but we are in Thailand, a foreign country and they are doing their best to help and try to understand us. So please if when you come to Thailand and has some issues like that, simply smile and enjoy the beautiful experience of beeing there.

The only service that I really miss is a pool, but the quality of design, food, and service make it that really doesn't matter.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Hawaii
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

My wife found this hotel through Agoda while planning for the honeymoon backpacking through Thailand. Not much to the exterior, I wouldn't even notice the hotel from the outside aside from a small Maduzi marker on the wall from the main street. They stress secrecy I guess.

Perks: Amazing modernized and cozy interior, I felt like I was coming back to my own house after a day in the city. Close to everything - Times Square, Korea Town, Metro and BTS is only 5 mins walk. Great accommodating customer service (free beer available on arrival), late check out times available which worked great since our flight was at midnight the next day. Other amenities for $127 USD include free stocked minibar, infinity pool jacuzzi, wifi in rooms, Bose sound system, fax and printer, and comic book room orientation.

Overall the hotel has great attention to detail(guest cookies are the soft variety!) and a personable English-speaking staff. The atmosphere is quiet (I haven't seen any other guests yet but it's a Sunday) I would recommend this hotel to any traveler on a budget.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Pecetto Torinese, Italy
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I spent one night in this small and quite hotel, found through SLH app on the iPhone. location is good and with around 110 USD you have a luxurious 53 sqm suite with Jacuzzi and free minibar, very well furnished and properly organized. Breakfast is a la carte, excellent in quality, not exceeding in quantity.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Alessio315
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2012

While I only stayed here for one evening, I consider it one of my favorite hotels for its excellent design, quiet ambiance and luxurious room experience. A family owned hotel, it has to compete against well known *5 hotels in BKK, but I prefer this hotel. In a city known for its flashiness, this hotel has an incredibly sophisticated style. The living room like lobby and small bar gives it a more intimate and homey feeling. The room (I was staying in one of their corner rooms) held an impossibly large bed, comfortable seating and work area, nice hallway nosh station, with a master-suite style bathroom including separate toilet and bath area that held an incredible infinity bathtub and lounge like sofa. A walk-in closet completed it. The overall experience was more like staying in a nice private estate rather than a hotel with a low key entrance hidden behind a high gate and service that was very friendly if not completely polished. It is tempting in BKK to stay in one of the well known luxury brand hotels (I fell prey to the Kempinski and a friend to the St. Regis in different visits) but I would highly recommend this hotel for those who want a truly special hotel that honors taste and high end comfort over massive marble lobbies and white gloved service. At its price, it isn't for everyone because you cannot tick off all the *5 boxes, but it is the hotel I will be returning to when I next visit BKK.

Room Tip: The corner room was suite-like in size and layout without being a suite.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo