“This could be the most overrated restaurant in all of Bangkok with terrible service to boot”
Review of Soei Restaurant

Soei Restaurant
Ranked #770 of 12,533 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Neighbourhood: Ari
Neighbourhood: Ari
Reviewed 29 April 2018

I was delighted to read some of the glowing reviews of this place, since I live about 1km away. I was really looking forward to eating here.

Anyway, we went last week, and the food was ok, nothing special, though it took a long time to come. No different than hundreds of others like it, except it was about triple the usual cost (1500 baht for dinner for 2).

We weren't impressed and went back tonight to give it another try. Ordered Thai food staples like khao pad (fried rice), yum woonsen (glass noodle salad) and pad grapao nua (stir fry beef with basil).

It was AWFUL. For a start our first meal arrived (with no rice) 1hr 10 minutes after order. I could understand if this was a heaving Friday night, but we arrived to a 25% full restaurant at 5pm on Sunday evening.

We had to ask about our food several times. Service was rude, and non-apologetic. Nobody came and asked us if we wanted a drink.

My wife (who is Thai) thought the food was over spiced to the point it detracted from the food. Very ordinary Thai food, exactly the same as you can find on literally any corner in Bangkok.

Extremely disappointing experience.

1  Thank Scott P

Reviewed 22 April 2018

I was taken there by friends of the owner.. It is located in a soi near Samsen station. I was not aware of any special treatment: it was a regular occurrence. First impression: the food was exquisite, although presentation was very everyday. It looked like a roadside restaurant in terms of the way it was served. The same is true of the décor - there is none! Again, it looked like any number of rural Thai restaurants. But the food!!! Spicy, tasty and very well priced, much cheaper than downtown restaurants. This is what matters to this restaurant and they do a very good job. We had a wide range of dishes, from meat, fish, seafood, their signature crab. Each was sensational. To finish, we had preserved mango, served in a Tupperware dish. This summed up the experience for me: excellent food served in an ultra-sloppy way, but worth every cent. Not the place to impress business guests but well worth a visit for some unique Thai cuisine. Sunday lunchtime it was mostly local customers.

Reviewed 11 April 2018

I found this restaurant thanks to Mark Wiens of the website Migrationology. This restaurant is not easy to find in the new location and it's in the outskirts of Bangkok so you need a cab driver, but you will be rewarded with some of the finest, most flavorful, very fresh and authentic dishes from Thai cuisine. I left the ordering to my Thai guide and remarkable dishes appeared on the table: soup, seafood, Thai omelette (there is also a picture menu). Prices here are very reasonable, so it's worth the fair of the cab drive to get here. Over here you'll find mostly Thai people eating and tourists don't wonder out so far from centrum Bangkok, but it's highly worth it. Mind you that this is a real authentic Thai restaurant, so those of you not used to hot spicy dishes, should ask for a less spicy version.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

I love Thai food and Soei is incredible. I have not been to the new location but cannot wait to go back in April, 2017. Amazing and intense, spicy and savory flavors. Go early as you can wait a while during the lunch rush. I try to go as soon as it opens.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Went to Soei restaurant because a friend recommended it. They had a lot of choices but they seemed to be specialized in seafood. They had a written down menu and a menu with pictures and I decided to just point out at a picture because it looked super nice. It was fish with some extremely tasty sauce and rice. All of my friends were also happy with their dishes so I must recommend this place. Only downside was that the dishes were a bit small so it is maybe better to come with many people and just order a lot of food and share. We couldn't really do it because some didn't eat fish and some didn't eat shrimps, squid etc so we all just got our own dishes.