“Perfect for budget travelers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Erawan House

Erawan House
Ranked #313 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Perfect for budget travelers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed there on two occasions and it did meet my expectations both times. Inexpensive, good services, AC worked, bathroom was very clean, two water bottles and clean towels everyday. The staff was very friendly, they helped us with a map of the city and made of us aware of various means of travels to prevent us from being fleeced.

Also, one important thing, I kept my luggage with them for a week while traveling away and it was safe, just as i had left it. I had a few stuff in the outer pocket without being locked and it was as I had left it. :). This, trust me, might not surprise many but I stayed at Rambuttri Village Plaza, just around Erawan and they had boards all over the hotel stating "Do not leave your valuables in the room! " Really!!?? Erawan really saved me! Thanks.

The location is amazing coz its a 5 min walk from Khao San and I found this alley a better location than Khao San itself.

Totally recommend!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Just stayed at Erawan house and loved it. Its location was perfect, staff was great, and I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed June 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We are long term travelers with basic needs - general level of cleanliness and enough space for our (minimal) stuff. This place met both of those needs very well.

The whole place was spotlessly clean. The room was not large but had plenty of space including some benches and a mini wardrobe with hangers. They also provide waters and soaps. The AC unit was good, but the power is all shut off when you take your key out of the room (out of the key holder).

The staff was friendly. The location was great. It is near Khao San Road but not too close. It is actually on an alley connecting the main drive-able street to the extension of Khao San Road. The 'extension' section of KSR was (in my opinion) better than KSR itself. We enjoyed our stay here very much, but we found cheaper down the street (more simplistic room but prefer to pay less).

One annoying thing is that you have to walk through a tailor shop and travel agent to get to the hotel. They never stop asking if you want a suit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Part of me wants to keep this place to myself, as I still want it to be affordable and available on my next visit! But in any case, let me give credit where credit is due. I just returned from my latest visit to Thailand and my Bangkok base - home away from home - Khaosan Road area - where I have been close to 10 times.

A bit about what I am looking for: I am no longer at the Hostel staying level, but still in the budget/backpacker level. I prefer to stay in the thirteen to twenty dollars a night range. Erawan House in May fit the bill with all of my reservations done through Agoda and Paypal but you can reserve directly with the hotel and pay in Thai Baht.

Even in the Budget traveler mode i look for a good value with the following amenities if possible: 24 hour hot water, Air Con, TV with at least CNN or BBC in English, WIFI either in rooms or lobby, quiet rooms/no drama, good secure location and clean room with proper toiletries and room cleaning. That's a tall order for under twenty dollars US!! But if you do your research you can get close!

The good news is The Erawan House met most of these requirements! With a BIG PLUS - They were pleasant, courteous and conversant in English! Now you might think that's a small thing, but in the Khaosan Road area the norm these days is surly treatment by staff who show little concern or knowledge about customer service.

Now the rooms are small, simple and clean (the walls could use a cleaning or painting), they have air con, screened windows, a good size TV with with a few channels in English and French etc., toiletries (TP, soap, shampoo, and complimentary bottled water(2!) and dead bolt lock on the door with a night latch, and some communal seating areas on the floors.

You can communicate with the front desk staff, who were very impressive for their proactive concern (More than once I was asked if I needed more water, TP, towels etc. WOW!

Now the location is about a 7 minute walk from Khaosan Rd, off of Rambuttri Rd, across from the Wild Orchid guest house and restaurant, Everything you need is right there. Many eateries, food carts, 2 - mini 7/11 stores etc. and as all guesthouses do there, there is a travel "agent" in the entrance along with the obligatory custom suit maker (I did not use either of their services).

I did use the laundry service - for the reasonable a typical rate of 35 Baht per kilo (aprox. 1 dollar) and their "Left Luggage" area for ten Baht)

Bottom line: I recommend it as a great value for the price! Enjoy your trip to Thailand, it is simply one of the best countries to travel to on a budget! Enjoy!

Room Tip: I find it helpful to always ask in writing for a room on a higher floor, towards the rear of the bui...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank medschoolguy
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

Room and bathroom are clean. Staff is helpful, and free wi-fi also in the room. It's just a stone away from Khao San Road, and ten minutes walk to Chao Praya Pier. Good choice for backpackers.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Makati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed here to be able to go to Ayutthaya. The rooms are small but clean. Nothing luxurious for a budget hostel. The location is near khaosan road where tourist from around the world rubs elbows. Convenient stores, restos, markets, travel agencies and spas are just around the corner. Coffee is open for all 24/7. Recommended for people who loves the night life, bars, beers and the likes. I do not recommend this for people travelling with little children. Beware and double research about the travel agencies because they might rip you off. Overall, not bad for a budget hostel.

Room Tip: If you need wifi, ask for rooms at a lower level.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

There are a lot of choices in the Khao San Road area and I spent a lot of time checking them out because I come to Bangkok often. This one is not anything particularly special but it's clean, not too pricey, wifi in the room, and the staff are OK. If I'm in town for only a night or two and I want to be in the KSR area, I stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo