“Nice place for a short trip”
Review of HI-Sukhumvit

HI-Sukhumvit
Ranked #208 of 1,192 Speciality Lodging in Bangkok
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
“Nice place for a short trip”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

This was my second time staying here. Prefer this place because of the location. It is very near to BTS Thong Lor, and a happening food street at night. Pretty convenient. The room is clean and bed is comfortable with warm blanket in air-cond room. Just the hot shower doesn't really "hot". So it doesn't feel so good when showering at night. But you will get used to it after a while. Overall, a simple and nice guesthouse.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cacasoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 September 2012

H.I. International was our first hostel in Thailand, after visiting New Zealand. The hostel looked nice and the price seemed o.k., considering what we had paid in New Zealand. However, after getting accustomed to prices in Thailand, even in touristy Bangkok, we now realize this place is highly overpriced. That may be because it lies in the popular Sukhumvit district, but 15 Baht away by metro you can find way cheaper guesthouses that are just as nice.
For our second night we were moved to an ensuite room because ours was booked, and were charged 1100 Baht. We found out later that the room we left - still not cheap at 800 Baht - was unoccupied...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bart K
London
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This was an okay place for a night or two. The rooms were average, the communal area was nice and the location was great. As we only stayed here for 1 night it's hard to judge. Great staff I seem to remember.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Booked this hostel for my first 3 nights in Bangkok. At 330 baht a night in the dorm I'd say it's a bit overpriced. The lobby is nice but the dorm is pretty avarage. Bunks are simple steel ones, but they shake whenever the person above or below you turns in their bed. Staff is friendly though. They offer free internet on their computers in the lobby, but beware since they are all heavily infected with viruses (as stated on the memo's on the computer). You need a keycard to access the door that leads upstairs where the dorms are, but during my stay, there was a keycard hanging from a statue next to this door that would get you in anyway. Also, you need a regular key to get in to the dorms, so it's a little redundant.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 August 2012

This was a good place to stay for a night or two. In a nutshell...

1. The building and hallways are quite beautiful and could easily pass for a boutique hotel. The rooms are disappointing though - small, and a bit overpriced (USD 30.00 per night for a private room with no bathroom). Also, though the room was clean there were lots of mosquitoes both in the hall and in the room. For the first hour in the room, we swatted mosquitoes to make sure we weren't eaten for dinner all night!
2. It's located right next to the subway stop so you can easily access it. There is a great night market right across the street that is raved about in every guidebook that I've seen. And, since it's located in the primary ex-pat neighborhood there's lots of British pubs, high-end shopping, etc. Other than that though, don't expect to find may affordable local restaurants, or interesting nightspots....

Bottom line, we stayed for one night upon landing in Bangkok (it's super easy to take the subway there from the airport which was our primary reason for staying there...). It was convenient and overall a good experience. Would I stay again? Nope, there's just too many great places to stay in Bangkok to settle for this one.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Great location. Nice communal areas. Breakfast and Internet is included with the price of your room. The Internet is slow but tolerable. Nice clean rooms. The staff was also helpful. I cut myself trying open up a soda bottle, they supplied me with band aids and iodine. When I moved from the dorm to a private, they asked me how long I planned on staying? I said I didn't know please ask me later that day. Well, they went ahead and gave my room to someone else! They didn't even ask me If I had decided on staying additional nights. This was quite annoying!. I would recommend securing the exact dates for your anticipated.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Darren J
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stayed at a basic but spacious rooms with big comfortable beds with AC - stayed there in January 2010. The shared bathroom was exceptionally clean; you can see the cleaners working around the clock. The free breakfast was basic but delicious. Attractive interior wooden deco. Just comfortable & clean room/toilet.helpful & friendly staff. Relaxing rooftop. The hostel was nice and quiet, with a cozy reception area. It's very close to the sky train, and only one stop away from ekkamai station. We like this hostel and would recommend this to anyone :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family