“Excellent Fish So-So Chips (new name and new owner)”

The Offshore Fish & Chips
Ranked #3,912 of 10,792 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Fast food, British, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Sukhumvit
Bangkok, Thailand
“Excellent Fish So-So Chips (new name and new owner)”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A few days ago I had a hankering for good old British Style fish and chips (even though I am an American expat) and after researching the subject on the internet, went looking for The Offshore on Sukhumvit Soi 23. Driving up and down the soi I could not find the place pictured in the many reviews. I then realized a newly remodeled place called "Fish and Ship" was exactly where the "The Offshore" should have been.

I checked out the menu placed outside the establishment and decided to give it a go. I spoke with the staff and they told me a new owner took over, remodeled the place, changed the name and it has been operating as "Fish and Ship" for about one month. The remodeling is tastefully done and the upstairs has a very nice pub atmosphere. I opted to eat downstairs for the authentic salt and battery experience. I speak some Thai so told them I wanted the fish extra crispy (wish I had said the same for the fries). Two fish options are available, Dory for 120 baht and Cod for 180 baht. Chips are sold ala-carte for 60 baht for a regular portion and 100 baht for a large portion. Water was a disappointingly expensive 30 baht for a bottle of Nestle drinking water than is 7 baht at the nearby 7-11.

I opted for the cod fried extra crispy and was not disappointed. The coating was simply perfect. Super crispy and held up well to the copious amounts of Heinz Malt Vinegar I constantly doused on the fish. The waitress offered me tartar sauce which I happily accepted. It was a very tasty and welcome accompaniment to the fish. While the outside was crispy the fish inside was cooked perfectly, moist, flaky and slightly translucent in the center.

On the other hand the chips were a slight disappointment. Although tasty, they were limp and not crispy. Although edible, I would have preferred them being crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. When I told the waitress the fish was perfect but the chips were not crisply, she explained many British customers prefer them this way (is this true?) She told me that I can request them crispy American style next time.

Many other menu items are available such as a Bacon Sandwich for 170 baht, Mushy Peas, Coleslaw, Gherkins for 50 baht, etc. They also offer many British style Meat and Fish pies for 120 baht. Due to the perfect doneness of the cod I will definitely be going back to this newly refurbished establishment.

What more can you say? Genuine British style fish and chippies in the heart of Bangkok. Also, the new owner has rectified a problem many people complained about with the previous owner. I found the wait staff to be very pleasant and accommodating and the new decor, especially upstairs, is very nice and tastefully done.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank BKKExpatLA

East Yorkshire
“Great Fun”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I've spent many a night in the offshore 25 years ago, visited a few years ago for fish and chips, was great to see that it worked and the food was good for an expat chippy! Ray is grumpy but Keng is lovely and welcoming. I look forward to visiting again one day

• Visited June 2013
Bangkok
“Like a chippy in Burnley”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The owner has attitude, which includes concentrating on the food rather than the decor.

I would rate it highly for bacon sandwiches, fish (cod or local red snapper) and chips (not McFrenchFries!)

A great collection of dated music, perfect for the clientele.

Not a place to bring a date or a prospective customer.........

.......but a great chillout, once/if they have gone home.

• Visited May 2013
Bangkok
“Very hit and miss: when it's good it's tasty and authentic, but when it's bad it's bad...”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've been to the Offshore Fish & Chip shop many times, and it's a bit of a Bangkok institution among expats hankering for a proper British style chippy. It doesn't quite make the grade in that respect, but I've had some good fish & chips here before. I've also had some rough meals here too, so it certainly seems to be inconsistent. Some expats claim that the food here only tastes good after a few too many beers at nearby Soi Cowboy - I don't buy into that theory, and I've had enough sober meals here to know that it really is luck of the draw as to what the quality of your fish & chips will be.

There's a chippy style counter, and also a few tables for eat-in diners. It's a pretty run-down and basic place, but people aren't going to be coming here for the ambiance.

My most recent visit was one of the best I can remember, with very good (and authentically British chippy style) chips, and decent fish in good batter. I've been before though and the chips have been much worse, so perhaps it varies with the quality of the oil, or who happens to be working on the fryer that day.

If you come to the Offshore, go for the fish would be my recommendation - I've tried some of the pies before and been disappointed.

As most people will be staggering in here on the way to or from Soi Cowboy, it fits the bill for late night munchies. Don't expect anything gourmet though, and be prepared that you might pick a "bad" night and have fish & chips that are a pale imitation of what you would get back home.

• Visited January 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
“Bog standard, but a little pricey”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The pies are OK, good enough. Every time I've been they've never had cod, but the snapper is OK, although not as meaty as the cod. Genuine Bisto gravy for your pies, decent mushy peas, very indifferent service. Just around the corner from Soi Cowboy and near the Sukhumvit MRT station, so convenient on a number of scores.

Visited June 2013