“A Delightful Hotel of charm and hospitality”

S15 Sukhumvit Hotel
Ranked #271 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I booked into this hotel for 4 nights and it was a total privilege. Great hospitality, service and everything was just right in place. The hotel room was very tastefully furnished, excellent breakfast (Top Notch) and even a little small gym for the zealots to do some cardio and weight exercises. A steam room and sauna can also be found. Location wise, it is near ASOK train station, right along the road with lots of Bangkok hustle and bustle. Free Wi-fi and a nice spa adds to the comfort. Yet a glass door changes the entire ambiance. Not an expensive hotel though it is a Small Luxury Hotel Brand. Nice staff, nice decor, nice location - a very pleasant stay.

* Book through www.latestays.com for the best rates for this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank ABChan

Reviewed 8 December 2010

This is my second stay at this hotel The First was about 6 months ago for one night only since I was heading back and I had to spend the night to catch my flight the next morning. I stayed there for three nights this time around. I'm going to list the pros and cons.

Pros:
1. The location is amazing and next to a department store, a great message parlor and a nice convenience store.

2. The hotel's scent is so nice. The great smell of lemon grass is all over the place although the hotel does not sell it or tell you where they got it from.

3. The junior suite is nice. The bathroom is huge with a jacuzzi and really nice colors.

4. No joiner fee.

6. The room service was really good. I mean the service, the people answering the phone and the food quality.

The Cons:

1. The front desk's staff, specially the ladies, do not even know how to smile. A smile goes a long way. There was a gentleman at the front desk who always seemed irritated.

2. The staff should be getting new uniforms. The black shirts and pants are faded. One of the staff had a button missing from his Nehru jacket and the other one's jacket was way too small.

3. The breakfast variety was very poor. It was the same thing everyday and one of the ladies working there I think hated her job.

4. The AC was never right. It was either too cold or too warm. I could not figure it out.

5. The layout of the room is just confusing and the sofa is way too close to the TV and of course there is no space for a side or coffee table.

6. Don't even bother visiting the gym. It is areal joke.

Would I stay their again, I might if and only if the attitudes are better in that hotel. I had an amazing experience at another and it would be a shame to even start comparing them.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank BKKSKMVT
S15Hotel, Front Office Manager at S15 Sukhumvit Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2010

Dear BKKSKMVT
S15 Sukhumvit Hotel would like to thank you for taking your time writing a review of your recent stay with us. We are glad to learn that you like many aspects of S15 Sukhumvit Hotel by listing a lot of Pros of our hotel. While on the Cons side, we would definitely take them into consideration.
If there is anything we could do to assist you, please do not hesitate to send us an email at fom@s15hotel.com
Thank you again for choosing us as your hotel during your recent stay in Bangkok
Best Regards,
FOM

Reviewed 4 December 2010

I enjoyed my return stay at S15 Sukhumvit Road Hotel in Bangkok. The rooms are great. Staff is friendly. Prices are reasonable (even cheap), and included is a wonderful breakfast every morning and free wireless internet service.

The hotel is located one block from Asok Skytrain station and two blocks from Sukhumvit stop on the subway.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2010

Whenever there's a US Holiday that I can enjoy and a three-day weekend is possible, I immediately grab the chance to fly to the nearest destination within the region. And since I've returned to Manila, having accepted a bigger and more challenging role this year, I vowed to explore more of Asia.

Last October 15-October 18, I decided to finally see and experience Bangkok. There should be a reason why it eternally competes with Paris and NYC when it comes to Tourism numbers and more than my love for Thai food, I wondered how the vibe would be compared to the rest of the cities within the South East Asia region.

I'm the first one to admit that when it comes to finances and budgeting for vacations, I'm very particular about the hotel part. I feel that while some people would rather go for the more affordable, budget hotels and splurge on something else, I'm a huge believer that the whole vacation experience can be attributed to my experience with my hotel. So cut to the chase, I'm the type who doesn't really mind allotting more for my hotel stay, which brings me to why I'm actually drawn to design hotels, boutique hotels, you name it. Location has to be key as well. Last but not the least, the bathroom, can make it or break it for me. What can I say, I'm a woman. After a long day of shopping, there's nothing more wonderful that a long, warm, bubble bath. So if the bath tub looks promising, and even has a rain shower, trust me, I'm sold.

These specific preferences are the exact reasons why I chose to book and stay at S15 Hotel. I looked it up online and found out that its actually a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World group. That alone gave me a quiet confidence that paying 12-13 thousand Thai Bath would be worth my 3 night stay in Bangkok. I was thrilled and was looking forward to the actual hotel experience.

Though I had challenges making the cab driver understand the directions to get there, (which I presumed was normal and was a set expectation, which is why I also had a map), we eventually called the Hotel and I asked them to speak to the driver. S15 Hotel is located at Sukhumvit 15 and the driver then realized that it was actually closer, and was situated in the Main Road. Relieved, I finally got to the hotel. I was immediately assisted by one of the Hotel Staff and as I approached the Front Desk, I immediately took note of how the lobby smelled so wonderful. It wasn't a busy hotel and the aroma made it feel like you're in a private zen-like abode, almost giving off a feeling that you're in a spa. Wonderful but not overpowering. It was definitely a good start.

I specified that I wanted a quiet room on a non-smoking floor as much as possible, so I was hoping that I'd be led to a room at the farther end. S15 only has 7 floors and I was given a room at the 7th floor. Upon exiting the lift and getting to the 7th floor, I saw that their Senses Spa was located to the right of the lift. Some few steps straight away was already the room assigned to me. My initial thought was,given the location of how it was just like a few steps from the lift, it certainly didn't look like the most quiet hotel room for me.

Still being optimistic, I entered my room and saw how impressive and clean it was. You'd see from the photos that I took from my handy Canon G10, the exact state that I saw it when I got inside the room. I didn't change or move a thing and upon dropping my hand bag, I immediately took snaps of my room. I liked how there was individual temperature control, both for the AC and Heater, the bed immediately felt very cozy and inviting, almost tempting me to sleep right away, the soft lighting complemented the neutral colors of the room, there was a welcome fruit basket which had an apple and 2 bananas, complimentary 2 bottles of mineral water, an impressive LCD perfectly mounted to the wall, and one of the best bathrooms that I have ever experienced and thoroughly enjoyed. The tub as you can see was spacious enough, and that rain shower, divine! To the right side, separated by the glass was the toilet and a closet which had the most comfortable bathrobes and where the safe was located. A small detail that I noticed was how the hotel slippers showed S31 (I was aware this was the sister hotel in Sukhumvit 31), not a deal breaker but for someone who's into the whole attention to detail thing, these things can definitely get noticed.

The rest of my stay was a delight. My first night was a treat, the bed proved to be perfect and it felt like I haven't slept as peaceful and as long for ages! The TV's channel selection was just a couple but was enough to not miss out on entertainment. What I liked was how S15 was a CNN Partner Hotel. Unlike the normal, typical CNN channel, a CNN Partner hotel has a comprehensive CNN coverage round the clock so it was a treat. I remember how I finally got caught up by the whole coverage of the Chilean miners rescue which was so heartwarming and such a miracle feat. I also found out that a major typhoon was going to hit the Philippines so I was keeping track from CNN's weather updates and my Twitter.

Waking up each day was something to look forward to. The buffet breakfast, which comes with your stay, had a fewer, yet, good selection of breads, fresh fruit juices, coffee and tea, an omelet station, and typically consisted of power breakfast choices such as bacon, sausages, burger patties, corned beef, and also balanced it out with some sushi, chinese friend rice, a vegetable dish and as much as a possible, I noticed that there would always be a chinese dish and pasta. Not bad at all. The 2nd level was its dining area and it wasn't crowded at all. It was private and you won't feel rushed and can definitely take your time planning how your day will be while enjoying a cup of tea and coffee along with everything.

I've always wondered how different Thai hospitality would be from Filipino hospitality, which are both renowned to the world. I've sensed that both are similar to some degrees, and while Filipinos don't do the typical Thai bow that I've seen, the latter communicates English better. I was scheduled to check the Chatuchak Weekend market and the hotel staff who I asked information from, tried his best to answer me in English. The smile more than makes up for the challenge in the language though! :)

The location is absolutely perfect. It was my first time to see Bangkok and I knew I had to be somewhere close to the Skytrain. S15 was a 5 minute walk to the Asoke Station and if I actually needed to, the Sukhumvit station was also right there. There was also a Robinson's shopping mall and the Times Square place which I never got to check.

I'm not totally sure whether its with the hotel but given the warm and homey vibe of S15, I felt that the hotel staff could have been more passionate and proactive when it came to the service part of it. It was unfortunately raining during that weekend in Bangkok so I was contemplating if I should buy an umbrella somewhere and thought I should ask the Concierge if they happened to provide an umbrella, to which I found out that they do. I wouldn't have found out that they provide free umbrellas if I didn't ask. They saw I was heading out so I thought this was something that they could have been a little more proactive about. There was also a minor miscount in their mini bar inventory which if I didn't point out, I could have paid for the items declared as in stock, when it actually didn't exist when I did check. One last thing that I felt they could have improved on was my preference for a quiet room. The hotel being on the main road was already not the most quiet hotel given the location, and I wished that they could have chosen a room somewhere more quiet for me. The next 2 nights weren't as rejuvenating as the first night.

Over-all, it was a nice stay. I think S15 is a good hotel and has one of the most unbeatable locations. If they put more attention to customer specification, this hotel can always have my recommendation.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank warmsugarvanilla
Reviewed 24 November 2010

This is actually an update of a previous review which I wrote about the S15 hotel on Trip Advisor (earlier in 2010).
I was really happy with the hotel but the one thing which let it down was a terribly slow Internet connection.

I returned with my family to the S15 late October this year and I can confirm that the Internet is now excellent.
My wife also agrees with me that the bed in the Junior Suite at the S15 is "heavenly". Also, that the room is comparable to the Grand Sukhumvit Sheraton (which used to be our port of call when visiting Bangkok).

The only negative now about the S15 is that the beds are so comfortable that you don't want to get up in the morning and leave the room :-)

Highly recommended!

Neville Thomas
ITTP Prague

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2010

This is possibly the best non-chain hotel in Bangkok. The only thing that matters in Bangkok is proximity to the skytrain and proximity to one of the major shopping streets, and this hotel is on sukhumvit and next to the Asoka skytrain and the MRT subway as well.

We had the junior suite with jacuzzi and it did not disappoint. The room was a little cozy which might have been a problem if I had to spend a lot of time in there, but it was very well appointed and you're trading off location for space.

Staff was also super helpful. I did not try the restaurant but why would you with so much great food around?

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 5 October 2010

The junior suite is wonderful. I love the bathroom and the bed is very comfortable. The staff was very helpful! Very close to train depot. Great place, I will come here again!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business