“Make yourself at home by the pond”
Review of House by the Pond

House by the Pond
Ranked #435 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Hudson, New Hampshire
“Make yourself at home by the pond”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

If you are looking for a peaceful hide-away that's comfortable, affordable and has a taste of traditional Thailand this is the place for you. We've stayed at House by the Pond for each of the three times we came to Bangkok in the past 5 years. We've had stays for 2 months - 10 months and have enjoyed each time. We were happy to find a place that had the rustic charm of rural Thailand yet in the heart of the city. This is a family owned property and the staff are friendly and helpful.

The apartment buildings provide common areas to enjoy sitting outside on the decks or roofs of the main buildings. There are gardens and interesting artifacts around the grounds. There is also an exercise room and roof top pool overlooking the city with a beautiful view. A separate building includes a library/common room which overlooks the small pond and provides a quiet place to read or meet with friends. The 1 bed apartments are furnished with the basics you'd expect including daily maid service, ac, tv and internet. There's a washer/dryer on location as well.

This is a small, relaxing place that you can enjoy while your there and is also convenient to transportation and shopping areas (Queens Park, Emporium, Terminal 21). Located a -15 minute walk from Phrom Phong and Asoke BTS (Skytrain) stations on Sukhumvit and close to Rama 4 and the MRT (Subway) at Queen Sirikit Convention Center. It's a good value for the area and easy to get where you want. We recommend staying here.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank John and Cyndi D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Arabic first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Myself, my husband and my pet dog stayed in house by the pond for a total of 4 weeks in December 2013 to Jan 2014. The staff were friendly and helpful and permitted our dog to stay which they normally wouldn't allow. I agree with other reviews its a very peaceful and tranquil location. House by the Pond has the potential to be a truly beautiful hotel / apartment building with lots of old colonial features and interesting artefacts. My main complaint was the standard of cleanliness. We were given room FB1 in the Estate Building ground floor with a private garden. It was perfect for the dog but inside was a different matter. The bathroom was a disgrace it was a rotting wooden extension added onto the side. The shower had one temperature boiling hot so you couldn't actually use it. There was mould all over the walls and the wood was rotting and black. The kitchen was much the same again all made from wood. I had to totally disinfect the place on arrival but it still wasn't clean. We stayed as we struggled to find anything more suitable for the dog with any outside space. The air con broke in our room 5 times during the stay and we had periods with no air con at all. Surprisingly despite this we got a 5000 baht electric bill for a 1 month stay and we never had the air con on overnight or when we went out. I checked and found the air con was very old and probably inefficient as was the shower which heated the water to boiling point. Everyone I have spoken to has confirmed this electric bill is extremely high. The rooftop pool was a nice advantage in Bangkok and the view was great. The pictures on the website are not a true reflection of what its really like in terms of cleanliness. The pool itself is clean however its positioned on rotting decking that is in desperate need of replacement / painting. The furniture consists of cheap white plastic beds that again are very grubby and need a good clean. To sum up house by the pond it could be a truly beautiful boutique apartment building / hotel with many beautiful features, however the reality is that the place is in serious need of repair and a serious deep clean / redecoration throughout. The furniture in the rooms is old and uncomfortable and also needs replacing. We had friends in the same place and the room was much the same. The garden could be beautiful as could the pond but no maintenance goes on at all so its slowly falling into something beyond repair. The white building with the pool and gym is slightly newer and does look cleaner in the communal areas I'm not sure on the rooms. House by the pond is ideal if you have a pet or are looking for a short term stay with reasonable monthly rents 20,000 baht. Beware of the electric bills and take little or no notice of the website pictures. I suspect this is what it looked like 10 years ago before it was left to fall into its current state. The rooftop garden in the original building is not useable neither is the outside cooking area in the main building. They are too far beyond cleaning to make any use but again they could be fantastic if a little time and money was spent. I wouldn't stay again mainly because of the cleanliness it doesn't appear rooms have anything other than a change of bedding and clean towels between guests and that for me is not acceptable in whats portrayed to be a serviced apartment, I had to clean everything from the fridge which had rotting food and liquid to the toilet. You don't get toilet paper etc and you get 1 large towel and a bath mat. Bedding is changed once every 10 days but this consists of a sheet and a pillowcase and they look grubby. I hope they can bring house by the pond up to standard as with a bit of TLC and cleaning you would pay double the rent due to the location and what could be a great setting. I would sum the place up as full of potential with some amazing features just left to go into disrepair.

6 Thank Sam B
phuket230, Manager at House by the Pond, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
The apartment you stayed in was about to be renovated as we
Do it room by room because the owner is a dog lover when you asked the
Reception for help with a temporary accomadation for your dog
He agreed to help as we normally don't allowed dog . (they mess up the place)
And gave you the room we closed for renovation which we did showed you .
Thank you for your criticism it was much appreciated as we are trying to
Improve things and at the same time keep the price low for our regular guest
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I live in Bangkok and last year I was searching for a place to stay on Sukhumvit 24, 22 or close by. I had almost given up hope when a friend suggested I try Soi 16.
I liked HBTP immediately, the owner was there and he took time to show me around the various buildings. HBTP is unique in this area due to its fantastic location (between Asoke & Phrom Pong BTS) and the fact that it has a lot of charm as well as being quiet and tranquil yet in the middle of Bangkok's bustle, The rooms are all in the same style, with wooden or ceramic floors and solid furniture. The common areas have lots of sculptures and other interesting pieces scattered throughout. I would recommend HPTB wholeheartedly for everyone staying for a long or a short while.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Erik H
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I've stayed at House By The Pond on numerous occasions in the past several months as I have passed through Bangkok. Each stay has been perfect, as the location is excellent and the accommodations are impeccably clean, roomy and comfortable. Even amidst the chaos of protests in Bangkok, House By The Pond felt like a safe and inviting oasis. The staff and the owner are all very friendly and accommodating. There are lovely cafes, conveniences, and restaurants within walking distance. The rooftop pool is the loveliest getaway from the noise and traffic of a bustling city. I will continue to stay at House By The Pond every time I am in Bangkok

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sarachandraful
Zambia
Reviewed 6 February 2014

House by the pond has something very special in it, a true character and style. Rooms are decorated in colonial Thai style with lots of wood. They are a bit old indeed, but in a nice, stylish way, and very clean, and everything in the room was fully functional. Wifi is fast enough to work without any problem. What I liked most was that it has given me a genuine feeling of being at HOME.

Me and my family also loved the rooftop garden in the White building, which gives a tropical feeling with a birds-eye view of Bangkok's futuristic landscape.

The location is close to shopping and dining, however the place is tucked into a sub-soi of Sukhumvit 22, and the neighborhood is peaceful and quiet, so you won't get any of the noise of busy central Bangkok.

Staff are friendly and helpful, respond to any question or problem. Owner, Mr. Anuwong, is also within reach all the time, asks the guests personally about their experience of the accommodation and is ready to help anytime. I also really liked the personal approach of the staff.

The place is kid-friendly, which isn't always the case in hotels.

All in all a fantastic experience given the very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Choose the Whte building if you want a more spacious room.
3 Thank greencrystalline
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My family and I stayed in the second building owned by House by the Pond and we were happy with the overall rooms and facilities. Just off Sukhumvit, Soi 22 where there is plenty of good food and drinks within a short walking distance. The Asok (sky train) is only a 10min walk as well. Quite place to stay while touring the busy city of Bangkok.

1 Thank State2014
UK
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I've been staying in House by the Pond for two months now. It's a fantastic option for reasonably priced short-term let accomodation in the Sukhumvit area.

The staff are absolutely wonderful, so helpful and friendly. I stayed in the older building, and I had a lovely spacious apartment. I really enjoyed all the old colonial features, it gives the accomodation lots of character. Yes you can stay in one of the usual modern skyscrapers in Bangkok, but House by the Pond really offers an interesting stay and good value for money for the area.

It's also so quiet round here, and you're guaranteed a great night's sleep. I really appreciated coming back to this calm, quiet road after a hectic day of sightseeing in busy, polluted Bangkok. The building is surrounded by lovely tropical gardens, with plenty of outside space to sit and chill in.

I was here on a mixture of work and holiday, and the fast internet connection and peace and quiet was great for my work.

I agree with some previous reviews that the cleanliness perhaps could be improved. It's not dirty or disgusting by any means, but it does feel like it could do with an intensive spring clean. For the most part though I found the cleanliness to be perfectly adequate.

Some might find the location a bit far from the action, it's about a 10 minute walk to the nearest MRT (Queen Srikit) and 20 minute walk to the nearest BTS (Asoke). However, the quiet location more than makes up for this. Also, you feel you're in a more local area, with Thai people going about their business (even though there are lots of expats around too) and I really liked that. You can also hail one of the many motorycle or car taxis passing by if you're in a hurry. HBTP is perfect in that sense for a long-term stay, perhaps for anything less than a week the location is a bit far from the action.

There are plenty of shops and cafes nearby as well, 7-11 just a few minutes' walk away.

There's also a gym and swimming pool, though I never used them, and laundry service.

I would highly recommend staying at HBTP and thank HBTP staff for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo