“Grand is an appropriate name for this hotel”

Centara Grand at CentralWorld
Ranked #91 of 894 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel to attend a PATA Conference and my immediate impression was wow. Thailand is known as the land of smiles and thats definitely what we got the minute we arrived after a somewhat hair raising trip from the airport - Bangkok traffic is an adventure for sure. My room was on the 36th floor so I got a grand view of the city. I stayed in a deluxe room which was spacious and well appointed with a great layout for the bathroom. I never got to use the bath though I was tempted but instead opted to hog the shower which in itself was pure heaven with its many water spouts. The hotel is a major convention centre so it had many additional services and shops and I took advantage of the hair salon for the conference banquet dinner (i missed out on getting a silk suit made -$120 with shirt and scarf- given the number of international delegates in attendance) but I took advantage of buying quality silk scarves as gifts and enjoyed being able to negotiate a price. The main restaurant was sublime - I could've sat in there and indulged in the buffet menu the whole four days we were there - from western to asian the choice was incredible and the dessert bar was a complete wow!! Pointless eating out with an eatery like that available. On our first night we went onto the top floor restaurant on Level 52 where later in the week other convention events were held. I definitely felt under dressed and lacking in a wardrobe as it was rather exclusive looking with the clientele - however it was wonderful to see a selection of NZ wines on the menu. With 30deg humidity at 9pm it was surreal eating with the city lights and other high rises around you and felt like eating in a sauna as even the breeze was hot. Definitely felt overdone on my first night but headed to the spa available in the hotel and for a reasonable rate enjoyed a wonderful massage. In fact I always judge a quality massage by the ability to fall asleep but feel like your body has been soothed. The spa itself the decor was quite opulent and the women very petite and pretty. The drink i had afterwards was very refreshing and i was in my bed sleeping like a baby suffering no after effects of a long flight. As a result I returned twice during my stay. I wondered out to the malls that the hotel linked itself to and quite frankly you could spend your whole time at the hotel without having to step outside. The rooftop pool was another divine experience - cooling and refreshing and with all the amenties available to enjoy a quite cocktail or two.
As it was a business trip that was sponsored I am unsure of the full cost but I would expect it was at the top end for Bangkok. Too modern to have that hollywood feel as other hotels we visited were but definitely affordable for the modern tourist. I would love to return just to enjoy the city sights and shopping more and get that grand feeling!

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views and were quiet - no noise from the air conditioner in the room and lo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Redheaded2
CGCW, Manager at Centara Grand at CentralWorld, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,

Those are truly grand words about our hotel and we are grateful that you have taken the time to share them here on Tripadvisor.

It is a delight to read that you were able to impress you during the time that you have spent with us. It is in the nature of our ambassadors to provide our guests with an impeccable service.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Centara Grand at CentralWorld in the future.

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,754)

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Location: A comfortable furnishings with a convenient location, though the drawback of such is crowd and noisy around.

Room: We were upgraded from Superior to Deluxe room, and the room was large enough for both of us, and is well set and comfortable, with a good view of the city. Again, due to the facing of the room, when coming into nights, those LEDs from the Palladium World Shopping Centre were kind of too bright. Luckily, they were turned off at 11pm every night. The room was tidy and clean, although some rusty signs from the towel rack to the floor were clearly seen. During my stay, on one occasion towels and bottled water were totally missed; however, once called for assistance, the helpers were immediately brought them to us.

Service: As we told the hotel this was our Anniversary trip, we were welcomed with a couple of small vases of flowers, welcome fruits together with a bottle of sparkling wine served in the ice bucket. This was nice to customers indeed! Also, after our check-out, we still have several hours before heading to the airport, so we left our luggage to the front desk. There were a staff called 'Coco' who was very helpful - assisting us on arranging the luggage for temporary storage, as well as calling 'trusted' taxi to drive us to the airport. Good job, Coco!

Spa: The in-hotel spa is nicely-set with comfortable environment.

Breakfast: Every morning, there are plenty of food to be chosen from; if there are more choices, that would be even great!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BENEDICT L
CGCW, Manager at Centara Grand at CentralWorld, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your valuable feedback from your most recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for our mistake and like to ensure you that your concerns have been reviewed with our team.

Also it is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service. It’s something our staff takes great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them. We hope we may have a chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Overall: A pleasant environment, comfortable furnishings, a convenient location. A great city view from the 55th floor restaurant/bar.

My deluxe room on 42nd floor was bright and comfortable, with a good view of the city. Blackout curtains kept the room pitch dark. The recliner armchair was very comfortable. Kids and lovers will enjoy the deep round tub. However, the height of that tub could pose a challenge for folks with mobility challenges and/or lower-back pain.

Cleanliness: the bedroom was kinda dusty and the bathroom floor was not clean. During my 3-day stay, the laundry bags were never replaced, and on one occasion towels were missed.

Service was decent, although staff displayed little warmth. I didn't see any evident effort to build loyalty - no sense of "We're glad you're here/ We want you to return." For example, managers take turns sitting at a desk in the lobby, a lady and a guy: the lady looks tired, the guy appears disinterested: As I walked right by him on a quiet evening, he actively avoided eye contact, twirling a phone charger as he looked at his computer screen. When I sought directions at the front desk, the agent's comments were so vague that another guest stepped to offer clear directions.

Two staff did impress. Thanathorn (?) in room service was excellent: he remembered my previous order, checked and used my name correctly, and advised my preferences to his colleagues. Also, a young guest relations officer on the ground floor appeared genuinely interested in my satisfaction (Suparat? she wore green braces/retainers).

Centara Grand seems to have a touch of brand confusion: 5-star possibilities and 4-star qualities, marred by some 3-star touches. (For example, the bathroom has a 5-star tub, 4-star bathrobes, 3-star toiletries and cheapo slippers. On occasion, security guards in the lobby wielded noisy walkie talkies. The lobby men's room has just one towel dispenser; that's a cheap move. Worse, the paper towel dispenser is on the wall opposite the basins, so everyone drying their hands drips water on the marble floor. Dangerous for guests, extra cleaning work for staff.)

Lobby lounge is bright and airy, with huge windows and comfy seating. An outdoor terrace for smokers. Some of the sofas show signs of wear, with loose threads that could be easily snipped off if someone would bother. Lobby/lounge music is boring, alternating between dull spa-sounds and the kind of inoffensive tinkling piano widely used in hotels and doctors offices back in the 1970s. Nonetheless, the lobby lounge is a comfortable space for meeting/reading/surfing. They offer decent coffee, an excellent tea selection and 5 different types of hot chocolate (the 72% Arriba is delicious, when they don't dilute it with too much milk).

Free Wifi is not automatic - depends on rate you pay. But join Centara's free membership program - instantly processed at front desk - and your wifi is free.

Food: Two days in a row I ordered exactly the same (Thai) item from room service - the dishes were quite different, in ingredients and taste. Breakfast: I arrived shortly before the buffet closed. By that time the western food items were indelible - all quite cold. However, the dim sum items looked fresh and were steaming hot, attracting a line of Chinese guests.

Small things revealed inattention to detail. For example, the speed dial button for In Room Dining doesn't work. The phone itself is light as a feather - picking up the receiver causes the phone to lift off... Room service staff didn't prepare my name or room number on the bill, nor bother to open the trolley table.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
CGCW, Resident Manager at Centara Grand at CentralWorld, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply with your comments dated 30th September 2013.

We thank you for your positive comments not so positive comments especially the comments regarding "no warm from our staff" have been addressed.

This is not our standard and we must sincerely apologise for the shortfalls experienced during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Centara Grand at Centralworld in the future.

Sincerely yours,
The management

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I intended to reserve a room for October but had chosen September without realising it. The reservation dates passed so the hotel emailed me on 2 occasions, 1 day after another, asking me to acknowledge the "No Show" charge. It was my mistake so I acknowledged the charge. In the same email, I asked if it was possible to have a reduced price for the rooms in October.

I was not hopeful of getting a discounted price, but little did I know that I wouldn't get any response! My first email was a reply to the staff who contacted me - this yielded no response. I then sent another email with the hotel's contact email in CC - no response either!

I would have fully understood if they were unable to grant a discounted price (rules are rules), but it is unbelievable that a 5 star hotel doesn't even have the courtesy to reply to emails - especially since they were so enthusiastic in getting me to acknowledge the "No Show" charge.

I will try contacting them one last time to see if the situation improves.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
CGCW, Resident Manager at Centara Grand at CentralWorld, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you for your comments.

We regret and apologise that no one has sent you a reply to date please can I ask you to send me directly your corresponding so I may personally investigate your points and reply back to you

Sincerely yours,
John Kendes
email : johnke@chr.co.th

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Very very disappointed. 5 star hotel , services low than 3 star. Price is high, room small. I stay 16-20 sept. 4 night. Club floor, but room is small room. Services very bad, everyone can go to, no security at all. No safety. special the front deck manager. When I go complaint, she voice is loud than me. Omg, when is the Serives? Even they give me free room, I also won't go back n stay again. This is first time I meet bad thai people. Never ever see before.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you for your review dated 28th September 2013.

We regret that your stay was not satisfactory and your room size not to your expectation.

We conducted a full investigation on your comments while you were staying with us and as explained to you in person we do take the safety & security of our guests extremely seriously.

Sincerely Yours,
The Management

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights. Building is quite good with good service and nice breakfast.
Location is off the city centre and tariff is high.
Central world mall is at a walking distance from the hotel, which is good for shopping. Also, there is a metro station nearby from where direct train is available for city center.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank shobs_2012
CGCW, Manager at Centara Grand at CentralWorld, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your review.

It is a great pleasure to read that enjoyed your stay with us. Also it is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service. It’s something our staff takes great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them.

Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again at Centara Grand at CentralWorld.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed in Bangkok for only a day and a half in Centara Grand which didn"t give us much time for sightseeing or pool. It was planned for buying the last presents which was great because the Centara is very very close to many malls - even in the same building, from the 7th floor - and to the famous MBK and other never ending malls for every budget. For shopping-fans Centara is a very convenient and central place.
We enjoyed a very nice and tasty breakfast, exotic chinese and thai food besides the option for western food. The tables were a little too close to each other for my taste and personal space, but we enjoyed it anyway.The ladies at the lobby very friendly and helpful like the rest of the many bellboys and team at the hotel.
We had a room on the 49th floor with a breathtaking view, supercomfortable kingsize bed. Very clean and well equipped. We appreciate the ecological way of housekeeping (replacement of linnen on request-card or hanging towels on rack-"policy")
Our check-out was quick , uncomplicated, and organized
Again I like to thank for your nice and friendly service! We will definatly recomend you to other tourists

Room Tip: Do anything possible to get a high floor.The higher the better. We had the 49th and didn"t stop...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
14  Thank 61,158

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,

We are happy to hear that you were well looked after by our team, especially in our Executive Club. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments as our team is always excited to receive some praise and recognition. I also appreciate your feedback regarding our rooms.

We are looking forward to having you back in the near future and please let me know if there is anything I can do assist with you next visit.