Le Normandie Restaurant at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Silom
Description: Under refurbishment and will reopen in December 2015
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Le Normandie,one of the best restaurant in Bangkok, is one of my top-list restaurant to eat at before I died. I went for Set Lunch which costs most appropriately. The atmosphere and the view from restaurant are absolutely breath-taking. The Old-fashioned style French Haute cuisine is the style I like so it's just my own opinion. The service is at Oriental Bangkok's standard,extraordinary!!! I and my sister are well-informed about all of the menu,the waitors can explain every dish very greatly. And about the food is one of the best meal in my life. The taste is very complexing and every ingredients is in the best quality. The dessert trolley is my favourite,Choc Mascarpone cake is one of the best cake in my life and also plate decoration is on the top. The only disadvantage for this restaurant is it's extremely pricy!!! I better recommend you to L'esplace de l'oriental at Siam Paragon for near level food with half price. But overall I was very impressed with this restaurant ^^

Reviewed 15 February 2011

of course a reputable dining place with every thing close to perfection but the style is ouutdated and can be perceived as boring I think it is time for this fine restaurant to check the competition quite agressive in this fast moving town

Reviewed 22 November 2010

The Normandy has good food ! The service is perfect , the view on Chao-Praya river is lovely , but the atmosphere is a bit too old fashion style , They try hard to be over the top , maybe to justify the PRICE completely crasy , even for such a place in a 5 star Hotel . If you consider that the new rich people love to pay and show that they are rich , it's maybe a place for them ...

1  Thank telemacq
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I took my wife here this weekend - she has wanted to go for ages, saying it is reputed to be the 'best French restaurant in Asia'. And it is good, no doubt. The service is without fault, the view of the Chaopraya clear. But my goodness, the prices are out of sight - even for a top quality place. We spent over 16,000 baht for two - that is over $500 - with one bottle of wine, one appetizer for me and a green salad for her, she had the duck main, I had the Wagyu beef. And we had a soufflé desert. All fine, with a tasty salmon amuse bouche at the start, and a box of chocolates at the end - but...

... the place is rather conservative, with an oldish feel to it. Perhaps that is your style, but I found it quite dated, with old carpeting and heavy chairs. The resto was empty for a Saturday night - only the good window tables were taken, and even then more than one sat empty. The place seemed quite dead, and the people eating with us seemed to be approaching that same point in life. And we get back to price. 500+ dollars for dinner for two? We had no idea what it would cost till we got the bill, as there are no prices on the menu. We took the cheapest wine on the list, and that was 4500 baht.

In summary, if money is no object and you like a stuffy quiet French place, this might be the restaurant for you. But for half the price, there are a whole lot of excellent restaurants (Le Banyan or Le Beaulieu come to mind, if French is your goal) in Bangkok with a lot more atmosphere.

4  Thank Harkish
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Great for a special evening if you really want to push the boat out and sample really smart dishes. Fine atmosphere and well trained staff. Would go back.