“Le Normandie is a classic for a reason”

Le Normandie by Alain Roux
Reserve a table
Ranked #215 of 14,873 Restaurants in Bangkok
Price range: £52 - £153
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bang Rak
Description: Awarded 2-Michelin stars restaurant. Commencing 1 December 2021, Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok welcomes world-acclaimed Chef Alain Roux from The Waterside Inn as our Chef Patron. The Waterside Inn has retained three Michelin Stars for 38 years. Le Normandie has been renowned as the pinnacle of French fine dining in Thailand since its establishment in 1958. Situated on the top floor of the hotel's Chao Phraya Wing, through its floor-to-ceiling windows, Le Normandie offers breathtaking views over the magical river. To ensure a sophisticated and comfortable atmosphere, ladies, gentlemen and children over seven years of age are asked to wear elegant attire and footwear. A jacket is compulsory for men during dinner and may be provided upon request.
Reviewed 26 May 2024 via mobile

To dine at Le Normandie by Alain Roux is to go on a time machine that took me to more than one nostalgic era.
There is the historic location of the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok which has hosted world leaders, literary giants and industrialists. Then there is Le Normandie itself which was for decades the epitome of French fine dining in Asia. Years have passed and there are now more French restaurants in Bangkok than ever before but Le Normandie remains relevant and a quintessential dining experience of any cuisine here.
My lunch in early March was absolutely pleasant and I never wanted it to end. Watching the boats on the Chao Phraya River while savoring the artistry of the chefs was so soothing. The starter of the caviar was a joy, like a kid diving into the warm waters of the Pacific on a summer morning. The salty flavor engulfed your soul.
The main of the Wagyu beef with carrot Puree, mashed potatoes and beetroot was similarly divine. The melt-in-your-mouth cut was grilled perfectly and was juicy all the way through. The vegetables accompaniment in the different forms created a platform of tastes that played together harmoniously.
The service was faultless as expected with the staff giving expert advice on everything from wine pairing to how to appreciate each dish.
It is not often I get to Le Normandie but when I become a small part of its history and it becomes a big part of my food experiences.

Date of visit: March 2024
1  Thank chatthefoodie

Reviewed 3 February 2024 via mobile

This was my second visit and I do think this is an extraordinary restaurant, even considering their competition in Bangkok. The flow of service, quality of food - presentation, textures, flavour combinations are outstanding. The wine pairings are inspired. The service is really first class and the setting is special.
I don’t think you can get short notice bookings in restaurants of this calibre anywhere else in the world. I enjoyed every dish, every glass of wine and do not regret any Baht spent. Not sure why they lost the second star. I believe they deserve to get it back.

Date of visit: February 2024
Reviewed 21 January 2024

Amazing service and food. International/French cuisine. Reserve well in advance, it is usually fully booked. It's a Michelin Star restaurant and be prepared to pay more than you would in most good Bangkok restaurants. In our opinion it is worth it.

Date of visit: June 2023
Reviewed 23 December 2023

Hi there,

I would like to thank Le Normandie for celebrating my wife’s birthday with great food and impeccable service. Special mention to Ack for taking care of us so well. He took much better pictures using my phone than myself. Food wise, as much as I like tasting fine ingredients, the brown butter Dover was my highlight. The sauce was to die for.

As far as I’m concern and comparing to places that we have been to, this is far better than a 1 Michelin. I hope your restaurant can regain your status or better. All the best and would love to return soon.

Vincent

Date of visit: December 2023
Reviewed 3 September 2023 via mobile

Have the tasting menu. It’s amazing. Only annoying thing is the pianist playing “happy birthday “ 3 times in the evening - but that’s a small cross to bear for the outstanding food and service.

Date of visit: September 2023