“Fantastic suite, great location, good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lamphu Tree House

Lamphu Tree House
Ranked #151 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Preston, United Kingdom
“Fantastic suite, great location, good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

The hotel is tucked away in a great location within ten minutes walk of Khaosan Road, but in a quiet area. As luck would have it we arrived to find the hotel had over booked their standard rooms and we were offered a suite in the annex building behind the main hotel. The room itself was clean and spacious with seperate living area, a good sized bathroom with rainwater shower head and an elevated jacuzzi bath with views over the city rooftops. We loved it.

Breakfast was hot with plenty of choice. The staff were only too happy to top up empty tureens when requested. Lunch was reasonably priced and tasty. Reception staff were lovely, very helpful and they allowed us to leave our bags when we arrived way too early for check in from the airport. Nothing seemed too much trouble.

Top tip: If staying here, print off a map of the hotel's location and the address in Thai before you go as the taxi driver at the airport didn't have a clue where it was but found it easily enough with what we showed him. Fare from the airport using the expressway was around 500baht on the meter.

If we were going back to Bangkok we would definitely use the hotel again and at 2050 baht per night, it wasn't at all expensive.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We decided to stay here for the last night of our holiday in Bangkok as we wanted to be close to ko san road for shopping. We also saw all the good reviews abou it on trip advisor. When we arrived, the man didnt really offer any information about the hotel to us...only that breakfast was between 6-10am, but there was no map offered or description of the hotel/area. When we checked in he told us we were staying in the other building?? we knew nothing ab out this. A man walked us down the canal, up and small street then down a short lane, at the end was another part of the hotel, but with no reception etc. Just lift up to room. the room was nice, we went for a delux. The bathroom only had shutters so mosquitoes etc could fly in. I would rather windows that are sealed so no bugs can crawl in! Staying in the other place then made it a bit of an effort to go and use pool, which was also one reason we chose this place, so we didnt end up using it. During the night i heard arguments beteen people, not sure if in hotel or outside. We had to leave at 5.45am to get flight and i asked reception of they could call a taxi the night before, which they said they would. When leaving in the morning they said it would cost 500TB. I said i asked for a meterd taxi, and would not pay 500. They said it was fine, as the taxi diver was here he would take us anyway...so it was just a metered taxi...not even a hotel car! It cost us 400TB, so they tried to rip us off a bit there which i was a bit dissapointed about. Also people were having breakfast, and we were told breakfast was not til 6am, so it would have been nice if they told us they would be putting in on a bit earlier! So generally, just not very helpful and i would def not stay here again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Emma S
Hadera, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We made a reseravtion for 3 nights via the Internet. We got exactly what was promissed. Rooms are spacious and clean. location is good, very close to Khaosan road, although sometimes you need a tuktuk to get there or back.
Lobbi and garden are wonderful. Our teenagers were sitting there on the nights talking to their friends using Skype (Wifi is free). In the mornings a nice breakfast is served in the lobbi and garden. The staff members are polite, helpful and willing to help (travel directions, airport transportation, etc.).
Price (1700 Baht per night per room) was a bit beyond the average price we payed in our travel (an average of 1200 Baht)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rafaely
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

Travelled to Bangkok in the hottest time of the year. Rooms were better than ok & far enough away from the Khao San silliness and walking distance to plenty of sites. Enjoyed walking along the canal. Breakfast was good & a dip in the pool refreshed us.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

a hidden gem, this place is a beutiful, intimite hotel perfect for familes with its relaxed and tolerating atmosphere. You wil love this hotel with its location and scenery. It is situated on a river and the are iguanas the size of crocodiles overall amazing

Room Tip: for a big family book a superior
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

I put all my eggs in one basket and booked Lamphu Tree for all 3 nights I would be in Bangkok. My first night, followed by one night after a brief trip to Cambodia, and one more night following my stay in the islands. As it turns out, I stayed a fourth night after I missed my flight home :( Lamphu Tree wowed me the first night- it is the perfect balance between the cleanliness and luxury anyone could want, without the price tag or largeness of an actual resort... where you’re not even quite sure what country you are in. Very charming. Located minutes from Koh San Road, super sweet employees, nice pool, great breakfast….the only place my entire trip that wifi consistently worked. It was a great find. We were excited to return after Cambodia, and after the islands it almost felt like coming home. But! The reason I write this review is because of my fourth and final night. I arrived back at Lamphu at 8 in the morning (in tears) after missing my flight- and though my room had been given away, they led me straight to a new, clean room for the same affordable price. I was exhausted and very much needed a bed and some tissues, and there was no BS about not checking in until the afternoon, blah blah. They simply accommodated me right away, and I adore them for it. That night, I had the pleasure of meeting the owner. He is a charming, smiley man who talks about his travels and how he has always wanted to provide a quaint hotel for travelers such as himself (well, sir, mission accomplished!)…I especially appreciate that he thanked me and the French family next to me for supporting him, so that he may support his staff. His staff are so great, and this was simply the perfect home base for traveling in and out of Bangkok. Thank you, Lamphu!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Way to much money for what you get! We booked a deluxe through their website. They tried to put us in a standard. When we complained, they put us in the deluxe. I can't prove ir, but I am sure they tried just to see if they would succeed. On the website they say the deluxe is with balcony and TV. We saw both roomtypes. The deluxe is exactly the same as the standard except for the TV. The TV has only 2 english channels. We have stayed in a cheap hotel in Bangkok 3 weeks ago. The TV there had far more english channels. So we pay 300 baht for 2 english news channels! The showers are really crap, no water pressure, not warm. It look much better online. Please don't go here. We have stayed in 2 different hotels in Bangkok, so we could compare. Lamphu really sucks!

• Stayed August 2011