“Lovely hotel in the centre of Bangkok!”
Review of Lamphu Tree House

Lamphu Tree House
Ranked #153 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
England
“Lovely hotel in the centre of Bangkok!”
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and would strongly recommend it. Great location - just a short walk from khao san road. The hotel is lovely, with great breakfast! Pool is also a lovely touch for such a central hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed 15 February 2010

A friend and I were in Bangkok for the weekend - just two nights. She insisted that we stay at Lamphu Tree House as it's close to Khao San Road (5-7 minute walk) and the sights, but far enough away from the craziness of the backpackers haven to enjoy some peace and quiet.

She was right! Not only was the manager, but also all the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Always greeted with smiles, one of the guys at the front desk even helped me carry my luggage to the busy street to catch a tuk-tuk so I could get to an Internet cafe when the hotel's Internet connection suddenly went down.

The rooms are simply, but clean and have all the basic necessary amenities. The pool is small, but nice to cool off. The roof is charming should there be an event or other reason to catch some sun. Breakfast is nice, not too many frills - American style - but adequate and a good value since it's included.

Make sure to bring the hotel map to show the taxi driver just in case. You have to walk about 50M from the road as there isn't front door drop-off, but a nice find indeed!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Nanterre
Reviewed 14 February 2010

We spent 2 nights at this hotel and really enjoyed our stay there.
Gentle staff, nice rooms, beautiful and refreshing swimming pool, great location, excellent breakfast, etc. Everything was great and I strongly recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geri781
london
Reviewed 13 February 2010

We spent just one night here at the start of our Christmas trip to Thailand and can highly recommend it.

The room was ready when we arrived at about 11 a.m. , we were most grateful for this after our long journey. It had a great bathroom , very good air con and the bed was super comfy. The grounds and pretty little pool were lovely and the food very nice.

We just wanted a quick look at KS road which we last visited way back in 1992 and it was great to be able to walk there and back from the hotel. We had a fantastic night out there and we felt KSR has greatly improved since then with reduced pollution and pedestrianisation. After dinner, a few cocktails and the obligatory shopping we enjoyed a stroll back to the lovely tree house hotel along the canals.

It's also a bargain place to stay , useful if like us you have a rather expensive habit like diving !

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ire123
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I just ended a month long trip to Thailand staying at a ton of amazing places from as cheap as 150 Baht a night to 4600 Baht a night. This one was one of two spots I stayed that that was horrible. I was here for half a night before I left to goto the airport to leave the country. I didn't mind paying 1400 Baht a night although I was there half a night. What I didnt like was the staff, the rooms, etc. The rooms are very basic and dont even have any TVs. The pool was so cramped that there were fences virtually on each edge leaving no room for chairs to sun etc. The restaurant closed at 8:30pm and didnt serve anything later at all. The worst was the staff. Typically most hotels in Bangkok will help their customers and protect them from getting scammed by taxi drivers, shops, etc. Everyone is there to scam as much off Westerners as possible. I stayed at Lebua in Bangkok for 4 days and they were top notch for service. Here I had 2 front desk guys working do a scam with a taxi driver I had them call for the trip to the airport. They charged me 700Baht for the trip that is usually 200B. They kept 200 themselves and gave the rest to the driver. When I said no originally they said fine, find my own taxi this late to take me to the airport, and guaranteed me if I didnt use theirs id miss my plane. If they have people like this working there, I wouldnt bother going here as there are a million other hotels much better. As others said, this hotel is impossible to find, we tried 6 different taxi drivers who had no idea where to go. We showed them maps, addresses etc. We finally waled an hour with huge backpacks before we located it on a garbage strewn canal.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travel_2332
Reviewed 5 February 2010

very good hotel, nice people working there very helpful

Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Our taxi followed the map that the tree house provided and it was no problem. There are loads of taxi drivers in Bangkok. Most of who have moved from remote communities to the city in hopes of earning an income. So, a lot of taxi drivers don't know where anything is.

Yes, when the taxi driver stopped on the side of the road and advised we would have to walk down the little Soi to reach the hotel, we were a little surprised. Moreover, we were a bit shocked at the condition of the street the hotel is located on. BUT, when we reached the outside of the hotel, we know we would enjoy our stay.

The teak wood of the lobby and pool area is beautiful and is a constant reminder that you are in Thailand. Our room was simple: comfy bed, small refrigerator, chest of drawers, bathroom, and balcony. But the room was tastefully decorated, clean and comfortable.

The breakfast included in the price of the room was enjoyable and substantial.

Additionally, the location is great and within walking distance to many attractions. And more so, we got to love the community of shop merchants and cooks living beside the canal.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple