“For the money, pretty good.”
Review of Rex Hotel

Rex Hotel
Ranked #614 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Napa, California
“For the money, pretty good.”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

It was clean, run down, but functioning (except for the for the left hand elevator which we briefly got stuck in). Quiet, rooms are not on the road. Coffee shop next door is the restaurant, never ate there, just had a beer or two. Nice enough, Formica counters, etc. Our room was 1200 B/night. Swam in pool, something wrong with chemistry balance, hurt my eyes underwater, not a chlorine problem.

Room Tip: we were on 4th floor, third floor has direct access to run down pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If this is the very last place to stay in Bangkok, okay, it's a bed.

But be warned.

During my stay the toilet unexpectedly started shooting up water in the night.
The electric sockets sparked several times - and I mean shooting fire - from the TV.
And I felt something bit me more then once in the bed.

The place hasn't been renovated since the 70s, it's carpets look as if they are about to decay.

On the upside - it's cheap. And the people who work there are nice.

But nevermind, there are nicer and cheaper places throughout the city. This one is best avoided.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark N

Travellers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Ko Samui, Thailand
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This hotel is very old,the people in the reception dont know how to smile and treat their guest properly,exept for the security guards and the door man which is very polite,the staff in the restaurant are also rude,specially one old guy waiter that serve me and my buddy,we stayed here because of the price of the room i get for 800 baht a day,the room is ok with a bathtub,hot shower,tv aircon,but it really needs attention as this hotel is getting really old,same with the grumpy receptionist,and the rude cashier in the restaurant,my suggestion is fired those grumpy old people and renovate the hotel

Room Tip: There is no good room,its all old
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ronkuk C
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We found the Rex after staying at a hostel in sukhumvit. The Rex has certainly seen better days but for 1200baht you get a big reasonably comfy bed, tv, fridge and sort of bath in the bathroom. Plus it has a pool which I find its redeeming feature for a budget stop over in bangkok.
Location is good for skytrain and excellent thai street food.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Bacolod, Philippines
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My family friend in Bangkok found this hotel for us and so we did not have to deal with the other's reviewers' online booking troubles. But I needed to confirm our late check-in, so I tried to email them on their website address, which is incorrect by the way. Instead, try info@hotelrexbangkok.com. I was prepared for the grouchiness of the front desk personnel, but they got us checked in fine, after paying for the 1st night, since we didn't know if we were staying for the whole duration. The hotel is pretty old and you may be turned off initially with the musty smell of the rooms when you first enter...but the room gets cool (and livable,lol)soon enough. My hubby enjoyed the vintage-y feel of the huge room, with the bedside console for the control switches for the lights and even a built in radio!
We loved the tub though, perfect for soaking away all the sight-seeing aches!
Forget using the minuscule elevator, it may trigger your claustrophobia...so just take the stairs.
We were booked at Rm 227 and it was away from the main road, so we slept like babies. Our friends' room was at 231 and their window opened to a pretty house with an aviary on the grounds, so they woke to birdsong every morning.
The housekeeping ladies who loitered in the hallways each morning, (even watching tv in the rooms they were cleaning out) were helpful enough, but the restaurant and front desk were predictably dour. The old man at the reception kept reminding us of our room payments, like we would skip out on him, sheesh. We were not fooled by his asking if we needed a taxi or tours around town, we knew it was just salestalk. I was happy that i had booked all our transportation needs beforehand, it was nice to decline his offers! If you plan to watch Siam Niramit, don't follow his advice to get tickets at the theater. The walk-in tickets cost more, instead find a travel agency (littered along the streets you walk) and you will save at least TB300 on each ticket easy!
No need for tips around here,lol!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms at the back and away from the main road. I liked that we were on the second floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ava0220
Thailand
Reviewed 26 February 2013

have been there for 2 nights on week day , Location is convenient that about it !
The room and and all Hotel is totally out pace by standard , Management and service are inexistent , maid eating on the floor Laos food , No hot water .
All carpet should be burn and breakfast is nasty .
The rate 1240 thb not match the service
Pass away unless you want get back in time !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I arrived here again at the Rex Hotel after a long 5 year break from Thailand as I've been working mostly in Philippines now. But The place had recently had some minor facelifts with the exterior. The inside of the hotel is largely the same ( which is OK for me) and the 2 lifts are still as slow (and small) as ever but its no big issue - it works well.

The rooms have not been upgraded but they are clean and the housekeeping staff are diligent and accommodating even to the extent of hanging my washing up in my room on coat hangers in the bathroom (lol). There is free wife and its fast and reliable. Mr Sitisak is still on the front desk and is a wealth of knowledge and after a 5 year absent he still remembered me upon arrival even noting my home country of Australia before I had even landed my passport on the front desk.

The pool is clean and well kept so get a room on the 3rd floor and you can walk from your room straight out into the open pool area. The pool is big enough to do laps and get some exercise in if you want. Wear some swimming google because the water can be a little over chlorinated sometimes.

The interesting history about this place is that it used to be a place for ex soldiers and journalist during the war ( much the same as the REX Hotel in Vietnam) however the Rex Hotel in Vietnam ( Ho Chi Minh City) has been extensively refurbished for some time now - as I found out in August 2012.

As for the Rex hotel here in Thailand, the beds are good, firm and comfortable and clean, room service is available and there is a 24 hour restaurant available to cook you Pad Thai ( my favourite) anytime of the day or night. It has a very very extensive menu ( I was always impresses with that) Free wifi is available everywhere across the hotel including the the restaurant which is great as 5 years ago it was only available for a short period for 70 baht down in the lobby of the hotel, thank good it free now.

The hotel can arrange private or group tours anywhere for you ( River Kwai, Floating market, temples etc) half day tours to full day tours, can book your flights etc etc..there;s nothing much they cant do and its all for a reasonable price and cheaper than the fight agents down the road.

The REX Hotel is on Sukamhvit Rd ( Soi klang 49) and is 3 minutes walk to the Thon Lor sky train station. It will cost you 30 baht (one way) to go to Siam centre ( change over there if you want to go to Silom Rd or go through to BNK Centre to Stadiam) Access to the city is best by sky train and a lot cheaper and faster than taxi ( trust me on that) if you want to shop. It's only 4 stops to NaNa if you like the night life and listening to music and on-street maker shopping and bargaining. I think NaNa has everything for everyone.

Anyway..try the Rex Hotel, I think you will like it, it cost 1300 baht a night ( $42.50 US) an night ( including free breakfast out of 3 choices. Not bad really and the price hasn't changed in the 5 years that Ive been there. Give it a try ... I think you like it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo