“Good location and cheap prices”
Review of Amarin Inn

Amarin Inn
Ranked #315 of 885 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Pros: perfect location, budget-friendly, nice big room.
Cons: the bathroom is ridiculously small compared to the room, which is very big.

Anyway, it's ideal if you're on a backpacking trip in Thailand.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed at the Amarin for 4 nights and it was ok, pros and cons like anywhere...

Cons - had to ask for toilet paper when we arrived in the room (surely this is a basic requirement when housekeeping make up the room for a new guest?). Housekeeping didnt come once during our stay...to be honest the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. It wasnt filthy but just all a bit worn out and grubby.

We were in the room right next to reception so it was a bit noisy and there was no natural light for the room. There was window that looks out onto the corridor (I.e. reception, so curtains needed to be constantly kept closed) and one window that faced a dark courtyard round the back (also not private). This, coupled with the light over the mirror not working and rather dim light bulbs (bathroom, especially) gives the place a bit of a dreary feel. Bathroom dark and really small but shower pressure was fine. Air con gave good temperature but smelt like damp.

Unless you're Muslim and need to be awakened at various intervals during the early hours of the morning then take earplugs! A loud man singing prayer wake up calls comes by everyday! I hated that man with the fire of a thousand suns by the end of our stay.

We had a visit from a cockroach. The hotel is down a very small alley which can be easy to miss, if you walk past KC Guesthouse on your left, you've walked too far.

The staff are nice enough and if youre just there to have somewhere to rest your head its fine and cheap. We were at a disadvantage as we were in hiding due to it being Songkran, so it probably wouldve felt less miserable if we hadnt been cooped up in there quite as long.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2013

To be honest I've read some horrendous reviews about the inn and i was worried at first that it would be a disastrous stay but it turned out alright, quite nicely, even.

I was traveling with three other friends, and we wanted to stay together in one room but it was extremely difficult book a room for four adults near Khaosan road about a month before our trip as most of the bigger rooms in most hostels and guesthouses in the area are already booked. At the last minute I decided to book Amarin Inn's room (via Booking.com) for 3 persons for lack of choice, and decided that we'll just figure out what to do when we get there.

The inn is quite difficult to find, especially since the address for some reason says that it's on Pra Athit road when it's actually along PRA SUMEN road, and without a GPS device and a skilled taxi driver, we would've been completely lost. It was conveniently close enough to walk to Khaosan Road however, but far enough so as to not be bothered by the noise, so that was good.

When we got there, the staff was quite accommodating, giving us tips and directions, and even writing down notes to show locals to help us find our way in case we get lost. They allowed the 4 of us to stay in Room 405 for 3 pax with a reasonable additional charge. (original price THB 2200 for 3 pax for 2 nights, we paid THB 2600 for 4 pax for 2 nights.) There was one hard double bed, one sofa bed, and sort of like a wicker recliner in the room, and we found the room adequate to our needs. The room had an extra comforter and pillow, two towels, a stove, a fridge, a TV, a large cabinet and a table. It was larger than we expected, had free wifi, and had air conditioning. The bathroom was very small and cramped though. There will be prayers coming out of a speaker that can be heard in the morning but it wasn't that much of a bother for us. We also almost got locked out of the inn when we came back to the inn at around 2 am, and had to wake up the owner who was sleeping at the reception to be let in (we felt bad for him though! He had been sleeping so soundly!).

All in all it was quite alright, good if you're on a backpacker's budget. I'd give it a 3.5 rating.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank andionneceleste
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fine. Nothing more. We had no issue for the price. However Ieft behind a fairly expensive rain jacket in the wardrobe and despite asking a Thai friend to call them for me they couldn't find it. I suppose another guest could have taken it.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Cleanliness is a matter of wish and hard work, not budget necessarily. I think this issue is a matter of luck by the looks of other reviews.When I arrived I saw ticks on the bed. When I smelled the pillows it smelled someone else's sweat and cigarettes. When I questioned it (nicely), the grumpy guy at reception did not deny the bed linen had not been changed but told me it would only be done the next day. No apology. I would have changed it myself but he did not bother to get up and get me the bed sheets. There is a mosk nearby and the prayers are loud and begin at 5 am. On the other hand the air conditioning was great and the wifi speedy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

It is a big struggle to find the hotel. Our cabbie drove past it and we almost missed it again had it not been for my wife and the traffic. From Prasumen road there is a 1 mtr wide lane which you have to walk 50mts inside to reach it. The board at the entrance to the lane is also very small and can be hidden from view if you are in a cab.

Best landmark is that THE LANE it is right next to Banglumpoo Place. Also it is almost bank opposite Bhiman Inn.

We stayed there twice over the course of our stay in Thailand.

The first time we stayed there we were put up in Room 403 (standard room), which was much more that everything we could have hoped for. Clean room, sheets, towels, good A/C, Wifi. The toliets are quite small, but were clean. No Fridge though, but there are a couple of 7/11 very close by. Cold water & soft drinks can be purchased at the reception.

The second time we were put up in Room 303, but the toilet was not the cleanest and the shower head was not functioning properly. They changed it the next day.

Location wise it is very good. Very close to Khaosan Rd and also 20 min walk to Grand Palace. While walking along Prasumen Rd towards Khao San, there is a restuarant at the corner of the signal which I found to be brilliant, as it is A/C, good food and very reasonable(about 5 mins walk)

For laundry we went into Banglumpoo Place, where they have laundry machines and clothes can be dried on the terrace of Amarinn Inn.

The downside is that there is a Mosque somewhere close by and when they have their prayers, the sound is quite loud on the speakers.

They also let you leave luggage in their office if required.

Room Tip: Choose 403 instead of 303 if possible. It is much better in all respects.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ravidamley
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I felt so bad for our taxi driver. He was so lost trying to find the place, and the number provided for Amarin wasn't working. He stopped to ask other taxi drivers, called in dispatch, and finally flagged someone down who directed us to the impossibly narrow alleyway with the unlit sign.

So, once you manage to find the place, your booking may or may not be available. The man running the desk seemed frazzled; I think that one of those Hostel sites overbooked the place, and we ended up staying only one night, due to the lack of rooms open. I don't think it was intentional; I just think that the system linking up to various hostel sites didn't update, and the inn was way overbooked. The fellows who run the place were apologetic about the problem, and they seemed very nice.

Anyway, if you can get a room, ask to not be on the first floor. You'll hear *everything* if you're a light sleeper. Our friend stayed on the 4th level, and she didn't have any complaints about the noise.

The rooms are big enough for two people, with a good-working aircon, and the amenities are basic. I think we paid 500 baht, which is just around 16 USD, so I think this place would be more than sufficient for a couple of budget-conscious travelers who don't care much about the frills and whatnot. It seems that most travelers in Bangkok on Khao San Road are there for party and fun anyway, so I don't think sleep is a top priority for them.

The rundown: firm beds, cold A/C, small rooms, wear earplugs and an eyemask if you value quality sleep.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple