“a disapointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Beaulieu - CLOSED

Le Beaulieu
Price range: US$20 - US$100
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: AUTHENTIC FRENCH CUISINEOpened since August 2006 and recently relocated in the lobby of the distinguished Athénée Tower, amidst the vibrant, easily accessible neighbourhood of Ploenchit and Wireless, Le Beaulieu is the culmination of acclaimed chef Hervé Frerard’s culinary expertise. Le Beaulieu is a fine French restaurant serving convivial, made-to-be-shared and delicious food in a casual, yet cozy, setting. From premium Fines de Claire oysters to the humble bouillabaisse, roasted Bresse chicken, homemade pâtés or côte de boeuf, chef Hervé meticulously brings out the detail and simplicity of his food by highlighting the quality produce sourced from France, Europe, Thailand and around the world. The desserts provide an appropriate denouement to a lovely meal including: last-minute cooked soufflé, slow-cooked nectarines, crème brûlée and baked apple tarte. Every dish has been refined to bring out the rich flavors and textures of the fine ingredients used.
Bangkok, Thailand
“a disapointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

I had been a few times at the old Le beaulieu in sukhumvit, and i always enjoyed it. the atmosphere, the food, the service.
Of course i wanted to try the new place.
What a disappointment !
The atmosphere is gone (it was bright, lively, colorful). The new place tries to be "trendy" I believe. it is just bleak, cold, unwelcoming. Hotel lobby entrance; high ceilings; very black and white style; not much light; cold materials/textures.
It was a saturday night and the place was more than half empty... it doesn't help !
The service is now operated by some aloof french waiter. If there is something we don't want is typical parisian aloof/arrogant waiters. They spoil Paris restaurants already ! Please don't import them to bangkok !
The food is ok (for that price range). Frankly i can't say much better than that.
The wine, a Pauillac, was really disappointing.
I will wait for a few months to let them put their acts together and give le beaulieu a second chance, because, again, it was a really great place.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank CPC1PCP1

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Khanom, Thailand
“Great French Restaurant in Bangkok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

We really enjoyed our Lunch specially the lamb rack was exellent , also the steak tartar and the risotto with Alascan crab as well as the Oysters are fabulous the foi gras was a little too sweet for my taste and the Moules were not outstandng the way I expected them to be , but all in all a fantastic experience.We will be coming back soon.

“Best Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

This place was amazing, the food was the best i have ever eaten. Recommend Sauted Frogs legs, limousine steak and rack of lamb. My taste buds will never be the same. Thanks for a great dining experience.

Melbourne, Australia
“LB Terrace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

We were lucky to be in Bangkok last week when the new LB Terrace opened so we experienced a wonderful evening with great food in a great setting and simply delicious champagne - thank you Herve!

Udon Thani, Thailand
“A Nice Restaurant, With a Few Flaws”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

My partner and I dined at Le Beaulieu last night. We are both fans of "classic" French food and were really looking forward to the experience. I would like to be able to say that it was an unforgettable meal, but in reality our experience was a bit of a mixed bag.

The Venue

Le Beaulieu is located on the ground floor of an office tower behind the Plaza Athenee Hotel; a bit of a strange choice as entering the lobby of the tower on a Saturday night was a bit like entering a ghost town. The restaurant features a two-story, open-plan style in a modern setting - very pleasant. Our table was in a corner almost underneath the stairs, which was a bit of a let down as we felt a bit sidelined and not part of the main room. The tables are close together, but not so much that you are taking part in your neighbors' conversations.

The Service

The wait service was a bit mixed. Wait staff was friendly enough - this is Thailand, after all! - but I felt like the whole meal was rushed. We were looking for a slow, relaxed experience and did not get it. Our waitress came by three times to take dinner orders before the cocktails even arrived, despite the signals I was obviously giving out that we were in no hurry to order. Once we did order, courses arrived quickly - a bit too fast for a fine-dining experience, in my opinion. A friendly, well-dressed French man who MAY have been the owner - I can't be sure, because he didn't introduce himself - made frequent rounds of the restaurant.

The Food

Again, a bit of a mixed bag. My partner had bouillabaisse as a starter, which was, in a word, excellent. I had a plate of Serrano ham with honeydew melon. The serving was huge and the ham excellent, but the melon was a bit too ripe and overpowered the meat by its sweetness. For the main, we shared the loin of venison for two. The meat was exquisite, but the portion can only be described as miniscule for two adults. Two slices of venison about six centimeters in diameter - maybe 150 grams total - accompanied by a tablespoon worth of mashed potatoes, two wild mushrooms, and a tiny portion of green veggies - for 2,100 baht, or close to $US 70! The couple next to us had the rack of lamb for two, which looked like the item to order in this place. For dessert, we shared a cheese plate, with three very different styles of cheeses that were exquisite. We each had one of the restaurant's very innovative cocktails - impressive - and a couple of haute medoc wines by the glass. The bill came to 8,500 baht, or almost three hundred dollars U.S. Worth it? In my opinion, no.

Overall, it was a nice evening and a nice meal, but with the huge selection of upscale European eateries on offer in Bangkok, I will give Le Beaulieu a miss and try another offering next time I am in the mood for French dining.

1 Thank JAMESINTHAILAND