“One Month in Thailand” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bangkok

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighbourhoods
Neighbourhoods
TEXAS
56 helpful votes
“One Month in Thailand”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I took a 15 day tour with Gate 1 Travel. We added a week on in the beginning and an extra week at the end.
The accommodations were all 5 star and our Guide Tim was by far the best guide I have ever had. She went out of her way. I ofcourse enjoyed all the Temples and Palaces. Especially the shopping. All in all it was the trip of a lifetime.
My advice
1. Expect crowds
2. Expect scams
3. carry your shoes when visiting Temples (My husbands were stolen by an old man in business attirre), Dont trust the old guys they have had the most practice scamming.
4. If anyone walks up to you and in English says can I ask you a question or do you speak a particular language, act like you dont understand and walk away, con artists
5. Dont go off with anyone you meet on the street ie: Ping pong show etc)
6. You will need more money than you think, things are the same or more than I pay at home
7. someone will try to steal from you daily,
* I had a knife pulled on me, I made it clear I was going to fight back and he took off
*some one clawed my arm on a crowded sidewalk trying to steal my watch, didnt get it.
*third time On the bus from the airport in Phuket to the hotel the security tape was cut and all 5 couples luggage was robbed.
*4th Other tourists, poolside in Phuket my husband went out of site to the bar to get a drink, I was quietly sitting in the pool so the American Army family didnt see me there when they ran down and tried to steal my bag . I caught them got loud and they ran off. that really irked me that an American Military family would be such ugly Americans abroad.
8. Baby wipes---need I say more
9. Ladies dont wear shorts. We had one lady on the trip who could not cop a squat properly on the squat toilets and BM'ed all over her shorts. Yeah that was embarassing when the driver had to get her luggage out so she could change.
10. Nice ankle length Tshirt dresses are the best thing to wear.
11. Dont be the ugly American
12. Learn some travel phrases, show some respect for the people and culture.
13. You will get dehydrated, I was terribly swollen for the entire trip and 1 month after I got home.
14. I ate what ever I wanted from where ever looked interesting and never got sick. Depends on your resistence
15. Dont dress like you are going on a Safari and walk around with your camera around your neck and a map in your hand.... (no better way than to mark yourself as a tourist ripe for the picking)
16. Cabs- always have the hotel call the cab for you, they make a note in their log of cab name and # in case anything happens to you. Also get a hotel card with hotel address, I can not stress this one enough. So the next cab knows where to bring you back to.
17. Renting of Scooters and Harleys. I advise against it. I saw 3 western tourist crashes while I was there. I picked up enough Thai to understand when the old geezer would ride by on a rented Harley, that the cute little Thai girls they were trying to impress thought they were passed it old prats.
18. No matter what anyone says. If you see an item you like and you are ok with the price buy it. You may find similar elsewhere but not the same. Still kicking myself for not buying more sarongs in Bangkok.
18. Go, Do and See everything. The only limitations to you is you. I do recommend always having a partner. If you want to see the ping pong and dart show go, you will have stories for life. dont let anyone guide you there or you will get hit hard with severe prices you cant get out of.
19. No one likes drunks. The drinks are so watered down, I think it would be hard to get drunk, But if you succeed you are cruising for a bruising.
20. Bring extra memory cards for your camera. We took 1100 pics.

Have a wonderful trip and email me with your questions.

3 Thank KVAMPBELLA
Berkeley, CA
67 helpful votes
“What No One Tells You”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I wished someone had told us the weather and air quality in Bangkok is horrific which resulted in not being able to take in the cultural activities. Going in Dec., is supposed to be the best time, but the best means super hot and super humid, with tremendous amount of air pollution mixed in. Being outside, and attempting to walk anywhere resulted in almost having a heat stroke and seeking medical assistance. The air is like the inside of a closed trunk, suffocating. We could go out at night, but still sweated a great deal, having to drink copious amounts of water and looking for air conditioning.
All the travel books, lightly refer to the heat, but let me tell you friends, it's no joke. Unless you are accustomed to extreme heat, humidity and air pollution, this place is challenging to take. It was disappointing for us because we couldn't enjoy as much as we had hoped for on our trip.

3 Thank Estrella13
Mumbai, India
15 helpful votes
“Truely Asia”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

They say it is heaven for the shopaholics, and while I agree with them, I will add that it is heaven even for those who otherwise don’t enjoy shopping (e.g. my hubby)… Anyone and everyone, from any age (e.g. my 7 year old daughter and 13 year old daughter and myself) is bound to love shopping here..For roadside shopping (with mall like quality) go to Indramarket, same things but you don’t want to shop on crowded lanes then visit Platinum mall/Prathanum market/MBK.. and well there are a whole lot of malls selling branded stuff…and don’t miss night market, just a stroll is rejuvenating When you are tired of walking, stop for a relaxing foot massage, well you are never too far from one of the massage parlors…
Why I call it truly Asia Is becoz its not just shopping, if you are a site seeing person then Bangkok has a lot to offer: floating market, Wats (temples)-don’t miss sleeping Budha’s temple and Tiger temple (you can actually sit next to one and get clicked without getting killed), elephant rides; and there is more-virgin beaches, water sports; the list is never ending…
Food: is very cheap and readily available but it is a bit of a problem for vegetarian like me..But there are 4-5 Indian restaurants close to Indra market, so no one will starve…
The best thing is a trip to Thailand can cost less than one to Goa. So what are u waiting for, plan a trip to Bangkok asap…

1 Thank Titli-Mumbai
New Delhi, India
9 helpful votes
“I ENJOYED IN BANGKOK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

I was in Bangkok for 10 days. I enjoyed my life there. Besised the various kinds of massages, there was lot good temples of Buddha. I visted bars, disco, malls. For indians, Indira market is there, where we shopped a lot. I went to pattaya also. In pattaya I enjoyed water games and lot. I went to coral irelands also. The main problem in pattaya, I faced was that the lack of vegetarian food availibility. Where as in Bangkok I found a very good restaurant named "Indian Hut" opposite to Hotel Manohara. I went there in Embassy of Australia. I like the behaviour of the persons working there. A wrosed experience at Bangalore International Airport was that after check-in, the purse of my Colleague was stolen, including her passport. I proud of india security of CISF at Indian Airports. Where the person other than the passanger can't enter. And in Bangkok the thief was present at inner side of the Airport. The overall experience was pleasant and nice.

1 Thank vermask2001
Hyderabad, India
9 helpful votes
“Good place to shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

Bangkok is basically good for shopping,I didnt find much time to look at other places as i was too busy carrying y shopping bags lol,but on a serious note you have to be a good negotiator for shopping in bangkok, I have sen the same stuff being sold at different stores for different prices as there is no fixed price.

2 Thank habeebsultan

Been to Bangkok? Share your experiences!