“Bit disappointed”

I'm Happy
Ranked #233 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Charcoa

We stayed here during our visit to Chiangmai (3 nights in the suite) Charcoa is a small guesthouse located just outside the city center. We arrived by train in the morning at 8:30, luckily we could get in our room straight away which was great after a 15 hour train ride (pro)

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Cons:

The room was clean. However you shower in above the toilet. The shower head does not properly fit and makes the whole room extremely wet (mildew on the flow and walls to) You sleep upstairs and the steps of the stairway to the bed are very high, even my boyfriend who is 6,3 found the steps very high.

The breakfast was moderate. Not that much choice and they eggs you could order where all underdone.

To clean your room you need to put a sign on the door when u leave. However we explicitly did not hang the sign on the door. Our room was however cleaned and when we came back money was missing from our bag. My boyfriend immediately noticed someone went through his bag. The money missing we're euro's that we could not use here, it wasn't that much but no one should go through our stuff and take something that is not theirs. We confronted the reception, they apologized and confronted the staff whom of course denied all involvement.

Overall:
Clean, could get in the room in the morning, friendly staff, bike rental is very good, good location.

Breakfast is moderate, shower is very disappointing, bed rock hard, steps of stairway are high (not for short persons) and money was missing.

We will not come back here mostly because of the money that went missing and the price in comparison with what you get (50€ a night)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ellenevers

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I liked how the room is separated to living room and bedroom upstairs.Both rooms have dvd. You can take a movie or cartoon from the reception.
My room had a balcony.
Will not recommend to a Family with kids younger then 4 y.o., the stairs could be dangerous.
Breakfast was good.
Overall this is nice and cozy place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The Good:

We chose to stay at the Charcoa House while we were in Chiang Mai based on all the great reviews I read on trip advisor. The hotel itself is very quaint and it reminded me of being in a little European mountain town with it's stone work, wrought iron benches and bicycles to rent with baskets on the front.

It's location is fairly good as its right in Old City, and there is lots of shopping and restaurants right nearby. One of the hotel staff was very helpful in booking us an excursion which we appreciated.

There is a little cafe attached to the hotel that serves a delicious complimentary breakfast. There is a small table with cereals and toasts that you can help yourself to which is good as when you order the pancakes, the two smallest pancakes I've ever seen in my life arrive.. quite cute.. though not good for a hungry 28 year old husband.

The Bad:

The bad really isn't that bad, as we were in Thailand after all though I was disappointed when our room looked absolutely nothing like what had been advertised when we booked it. We arrived to a sweet little hotel and were ushered into an extremely small room that had a strong smell of urine/mildew. When we mentioned this to the staff, she offered to spray the room and so after, we had an extremely floral spray smelling room that didn't make it much better.

The room itself was very cramped, with a small bathroom that had mildew all over the door (again, I know I'm in Thailand but this was definitely not what was advertised) and really, all of this was fine though after 2 nights of sleeping on the rock hard bed, my back was hurting and I was looking forward to going to another hotel.

The staff were for the most part friendly and helpful, however, when we mentioned that we were not very happy with our room, they seemed annoyed that we had even mentioned anything.

Overall, I would recommend it, I think we just chose the most value-friendly room which may have been a mistake. If I were to go again, I would go with a room upgrade.

Room Tip: Don't go with the standard room, upgrade to the next best thing if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay G
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Very cozy, simple and quiet B&B. Rooms quite comfortable but A/C a bit noisy, which didn't particularly worry me, and some dogs barking which one would expect. Very convenient position for walking the Old City: Food and drink close to hand. Staff friendly and helpful and a very nice simple breakfast with very good coffee. Certainly value for money in my opinion.

Room Tip: There are Studio rooms available for longer stays.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank HamishUrquhart
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Spent 2 nights here upon arrival in Chiang Mai. Well situated for walking around the old city, and reasonable walking distance to the Sunday night walking markets.

We stayed in a 2-story "honeymoon suite" that was well appointed, although I wouldn't want to carry much luggage up/down the stairs to the loft bed. Comfortable, aircon if needed, and a decent shower.

Breakfast was included and they did a nice variety, and made decent coffee.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed here for a few nights this month, in the "Gravy" room, during the Loy Krathong festival. It was a very comfortable place to stay and we got a kick out of the sign hanging inside the room that asks visitors not to eat durian inside. :) Our room had a secure balcony attached to it, which we found really helpful for doing things like airing out smelly sneakers or applying bug spray in relative privacy. It's easy enough to walk to anywhere in the Old City from the hotel, or to the shopping area to the west of the Old City. We rented bikes from the hotel one day and biked out to Wat Umong on the edge of town. They have a lot of television channels and a huge DVD library, although we didn't really use it. We had a full-sized fridge in the room, as well as a sofa and desk. The only real downside I found to the hotel is that their breakfasts are pretty small. We stuck to the pancake offerings, which are more of a French crepe served with some fruit. But this is nothing that would keep me from staying here again. We usually supplemented our breakfasts with stuff from nearby bakeries. They do offer a breakfast buffet for an additional charge, but we never took advantage of it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Tainakub, Front Office Manager at I'm Happy, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you very much to stay with us. We hope to see you next time.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for three nights at 'honeymoon room' during Nov, 13. Clean and beauty room with the upper floor, quite small but cozy. All staffs are very helpful and friendly.

The location is convenience (10-15 minutes. walking) and not far for bank (money exchange) & some food peddler.

Not much choices for the breakfast.

Room Tip: The stair is quite slant. If you need usual go to the washroom during midnight or any foot concerns...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple