“Serenity”

Aruntara Riverside Boutique Hotel
Ranked #41 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Gorgeous and extremely comfortable hotel. Great location and although a little too quiet for my liking (it is a boutique hotel so I guess that's to be expected), the accommodations made up for a slightly empty hotel. Very modern and beautiful layout in the rooms and the bath products provided smelled heavenly. They also offer the, for sale downstairs.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I booked this boutique hotel because the previous reviewers said it was quiet and they were dead on the money. Speaking of money, we got the place at a half price rate on their website special. I'm reviewing it as such. If you're looking at the full price rate, it may be worth seriously considering what you want in your stay and shopping around.

We stayed in the White Elephant Suite on the third floor for 8 days and I can honestly say noise was not a problem once even though the hotel is situated next to a busy road and local housing with the usual roosters and dogs.

The view of the Ping River was nice, as were the hotel grounds. Our suite was a comfortable size, the usual hotel room and the balcony was generous. The beds are hard. If that's your thing then great, if it's not, you may have a few problems adjusting. Personally I would prefer a harder bed than the more saggy variety I have experienced in high end hotels in the past, the Mandarin Oriental being one of them.

The pool area is small so if you're looking at swimming and lounging during your stay for more than a few hours, I'd suggest somewhere else. That said, it is quite lovely to swim in the small nature of the hotel means that you are never surrounded by too many people when you swim, if any. (I should note we visited in July)

Although the hotel information states that it is 15 minutes out of the old city, we managed to easily make it there in under ten every day via tuk tuk. The staff were brilliant, really helpful from reception to the spa which was surprisingly good.

Breakfast was small but well done with all the usual suspects, cereal, croissants, noodles or fried rice, fruit and bacon, eggs or an omelette on offer. Overall I was satisfied. It's not as good as some but still well done and, let's face it, you're in Chiang Mai, you don't want to fill up on breakfast, you want to eat out as much as possible.

My only main two criticisms are the restaurant during the rest of the day. We were really uninspired by the food. It's seriously much better to leave the hotel and go into the city where there are so many much better options. Also, each table features flower arrangements which were left to die slowly over the course of the eight days we were there instead of being replaced. A tiny thing but worth noting if that kind of thing bugs you.

All in all, if you're looking for a quiet place to relax after touring, eating out and sight seeing, stay here.

Room Tip: Book the White Elephant Suite
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My wife and I absolutely loved this hotel, and I couldn't believe it when I found out later how cheap it had been. Superb value.
The staff are extremely helpful and friendly.
Our room was clean and comfortable, with a modern Thai design. The bed was a bit stiff.
The hotel's location is a little out-of-the-way: it is a 20 minute walk or 5 minute ($3) tuk-tuk ride to get into the old part of town, the markets, etc. We walked a couple of times, and tuk-tuks were always available for other times when we wanted transport.
We only ate there for breakfast - a reasonable selection of cereals, fruits, toasts etc. Eggs were an inexpensive extra, but tasty.
Overall I would say it's just absolutely superb value for the price - something you'd expect to pay $100+ a night for, for much less.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

A great place to stay, great service, staff, accommodation and food. The staff couldn't do enough for you, complementary fruit baskets and even a birthday cake for my husband. Quiet and peaceful, the perfect place to stay. Only a short tuk tuk ride back from the night markets. It spoilt us for our next destination.

Room Tip: We stayed in the elephant suite
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I loved staying here. As soon as you walk in you are surrounded by tranquility. It really is super quiet, peaceful and also very private for such a small property. You could walk around and see only one or two other guests.

The staff are absolutely delightful - they were the highlight. We received lovely cooling lemon and honey welcome drinks and were personally guided around our room which was really great for the price size and design wise. I love the hard beds - they are what a bed should be and great for your back etc.

Amazing value and location is no problem at all - just grab a cheap tuk tuk wherever you want to go but do be prepared to explain directions in some detail to the drivers as they are a little hapless to say the least. The hotel provides you with a really good mini map to help with this.

Also - do make sure to eat at Dash! which is a fab restaurant nearby.

Thanks to all at the property - amazing and would stay again.

1  Thank Danielle S
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Very comfortable and friendly boutique hotel. Beautiful setting with riverside garden and small pool - very peaceful and quiet location on the edge of the main town centre - so a little away from the hubub but easy to get to and from and around and about... Room was very comfortable, food was great and a very relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nick C
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in the basic room which was more than adequate in size. The rooms are very well kept and have very good air con. Nice sized bath and separate shower. The staff were great- very polite and helpful. Be warned though that if you want to walk in to the walk anywhere, pavements are not the norm- this will be true to all hotel locations of course. Happily a tuk tuk ride will cost 50-100B with the price you pay being seemingly plucked from thin air but to be honest for us that's so cheap it's just not worth trying to haggle someone down by a few pence! Location for us (1k from centre) therefore wasn't an issue. Our bed was as hard a mattress as I've ever experienced which my girlfriend loved but a bit firm for me.

Quiet and tranquil location and nice breakfast.

Chiang Mai has a host of cheap hostels so this place is obviously more pricey but it's probably the type of hotel you'd pay 4-5 times as much for in London, Paris or NY so in my opinion this place is pretty good value.

Well done to the staff and owners of Aruntara.

1  Thank AR701