“Highly recommend!”

Aruntara Riverside Boutique Hotel
Ranked #37 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle
Reviewed 12 January 2010

This is a beautiful boutique hotel: nicely designed rooms and helpful staff. The lobby has a nice aromatherapy apothecary look.

Rooms: From an aesthetic point of view, I appreciated the dark wood, the old-key style doors, the shutters separating the bed/bath. From a practical side though, it made the room very dark. I think the option of bright lights by the bed or lounge sofa would be nice, especially for reading in the evening. The deluxe size is perfect for couples, but I recommend getting a suite if you have a young child with you. Really liked the comfortable beds.

Amenities: This is a boutique hotel so you won't expect the same facilities as a large chain hotel, for example, expansive breakfast buffet, business center, etc. The pool is also a little small and has more of a fountain feel, but it seemed to satisfy the children staying at the hotel, ours included, just fine.

Spa: In terms of facilities and treatments, my husband and I both have had much better experiences elsewhere. I wish I had gone down the street to the other resort spa hotel, and my husband ended up going elsewhere in town the next day.

Lovely hotel for the price.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 7 January 2010

I stayed here with my partner for new year's eve 2009. The hotel is very much in the city, right on the road and not outside the city limits like how I imagined it to be. It's in a residential area of sorts and is about 2-3 kms away from the famous night bazaar of Chiang Mai. We took a share taxi from the airport and the guy found the place without any problems.
The room (314) was very comfortable. Minus points for not providing soap bar(soap gel provided in shower, bath and basin area) and some basic toiletries like toothbrush, toothpaste etc. Luckily there were showercaps provided! The room was clean and comfortable and very spacious with a tub and a shower, both in separate areas.
The bed seemed hard but turned out to be super comfortable, and the pillows were super nice too, best ones I have ever slept on in a hotel.
The staff of the hotel were extremely helpful and do try to go out of their way to be as useful as possible. The airline misplaced my baggage and they helped me by calling them whenever I asked them to, and spoke the concerned people to convey my message in Thai. The receptionist also wrote out the word 'vegetarian food' for me in Thai, on my request; to make it easier for me to ask shops if they served veggie food. That was indeed very useful.
They also gave us the name and address of the hotel in Thai which made life easier when trying to find our way back to the hotel.

There are lots of share taxis(red pick up trucks with the back converted into seating area with hard tops) that pass in front of the hotel and we mostly used those to get to the night market and other places in the city from the hotel. Tuk Tuks were also easy to get. You can bargain for both.

Only drawback was the gala dinner that the hotel organised for New Year's Eve. The food was a disappointment, not much of a spread. The entertainment was average.

Breakfast was included in the price of the room for us and was good. Not a big spread but fairly good quality. The fried rice was tasty. We didn't eat any other meal at the hotel. There was free wi-fi in the rooms and a dvd player also along with a flat screen tv.

I want to mention that there is a Thai massage parlour about 1 minute from the hotel. when you walk out of the hotel, turn right and walk on the foot path, on the same side of the road as the hotel and look out for a sign saying Thai massage on the right. The sign is a cloth banner with the rates for the various massages the lady offers. My partner and I had a Thai massage and all my aches and pains vanished! The lady's prices are cheaper than the city and she is good. Do try her if you have time. I have posted a pic of the massage center with the banner, taken from the road.

There is a small pool in the garden area tucked away but didn't try it as it was the temperature was too cold for me.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at Aruntara. A good hotel to try.

• Liked — quiet hotel
  • Disliked — new year's eve gala dinner was disappointing
  • Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wales
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Stunning little boutique hotel. This hotel is around 15-20mins walk from the centre of Chiang Mai but that was a welcome change for us after the hustle of central Bangkok.

The service at the Aruntara Hotel was fantastic and the staff could not do more to help you.

The hotel serves up a great breakfast and the rooms are very spacious (we had a elephant suite).

The Aruntara is a fairly new hotel built in a residential part of Chiang Mai right on the Mai Ping River. Great location and is fairly close to the old city walls (15 minutes).

We did have a slight issue with the plumbing in our room where on occasion the water would go cold. But this was a slight niggle and did not detract from our overall experience.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Alaska
Reviewed 30 December 2009

Beautiful courtyard, gardens and the rooms were a wonderful place to relax. The staff was very helpful, assisiting whenever you needed. It was a quiet oasis away from the loud noises.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends