“Looks can be deceiving but surprises never end.”
Review of Riverside House

and 1 more site!
Riverside House
Ranked #44 of 775 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for 5 days this year. The hotel is involved in some major renovation and is building additional rooms (16 in all) to accommodate all the traffic. From the outside (street view) one would not have very high expectations but once inside the courtyard, the picture changes dramatically. Clean rooms have with hot water showers and great A/C. Front desk personnel are great but the owner is the absolute best. If you get to meet her, you'll have done yourself a favor. Laundry is done the same day for and ready by 4 PM. Just 50 Baht per kilo. Small pool is not for laps but very refreshing. Because of the construction noise and traffic, the owner gave us a healthy 20% discount. It is within walking distance of Chiang Mai's well-known Night Market and other good restaurants. The little café on site makes fabulous smoothies. Breakfast is skimpy and hardly worth the bother except for the fresh fruit available. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Local transportation is easy and cabs, songthaews or vans can be arranged thru the front desk. Security is on site and active.

Room Tip: Ignore the view of the facility from the street. The best views are behind the walls and in the cour...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ed S
There are newer reviews for Riverside House

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at the Riverside House for a week with my 2 and 3 year old girls. The staff (especially Poon) were very helpful and friendly, the rooms and common areas were very clean (they cleaned floors and tables very frequently) and my girls LOVED the pool. The gardens are an oasis in the hot city, and despite it's central location it is quiet. The other guests were also very mellow and family friendly-a very safe place.

Room Tip: we had the rooms in the back building, and they were quiet. You will need to buy toiletries (not pr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is the worst place I have ever stayed in in my life, the place is full on rats, especially in the dinning area. The rooms are dirty and very unclean, the first thing that you experience is the smell, it's like been in a men's urinal. The bed sheets are meant to be white but they are full of stains and are very dirty, do your self a favour do not stay here. Yes it's cheap but there are so many better places in Chang Mai.

Room Tip: Use your money to find alternative accommodation! Look at new builds instead of old.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Riverside House is both a guesthouse - Bed and Breakfast and a tourism business.
In the past I have used their services for a riverboat cruise down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. I learned then that the people here are efficient and helpful.
I have put people in here when they have visited me in Chiang Mai. (I normally rent an apartment for my long stays in Chiang Mai).
This time I am here for only four days and I made a mistake by booking into another well known place which I reviewed here on Trip Advisor.
I stayed two nights at the other place which was not much fun.
My two nights at Riverside House were peaceful and I got two very good sleeps here.
The breakfast is rudimentary with corn flakes, bread/toast, marmalade and jam, fruit and bananas, tea and coffee. It's adequate, and it's included in the room rate. (I paid 700 Baht a night).
I know where I'll come and stay next time I'm here for a short time.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are in the garden beyond the swimming pool. I stayed upstairs and close to the C...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here for one night with our daughter. It was such a nice surprise for the price, we had a deluxe room. Very clean and tastefully done with nice touches. Quiet with a small garden and pool, the only negative was the bed was too hard for my liking. It is in a good location and service is very good

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Moshiborn
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Backpacking with a girlfriend - we decided to try a few hotels - checked out a few rooms, and like Goldilocks wanted the right fit - something with some charm, good A/C, central to check things out, a good vibe from staff, and a view. We did not opt for a hotel with a River view but this charming Boutique hotel made that unimportant. The Staff was friendly and helpful, the view of the garden gave us the charm, the proximity to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar Market gave us the ease of shopping and having drinks without being in the thick of noise - everything was an easy walk away. They also have a tour agency in the front -that was the True Gem for us - we had them schedule us private tours of Chiang Rai, arrange us seeing Temples and Tigers, the day with Elephants, and the drivers were all so sweet and informative and spoke English so well - they could help us learn Thai. Highly recommend this gem if you are looking for a helpful staff, quaint place with Charm and proximity to fun activities.

Room Tip: We opted for the more expensive room near the back garden - a whopping 1000baht on the first floor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights. It has all you need for a short stay in Chiang Mai. Rooms are clean and the staff are efficient. The location gives a short walk across the bridge into town. Ideal quiet location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple