“Not bad one.”

Banilah
Ranked #34 of 762 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
“Not bad one.”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

The staff are very friendly and cute. They gave us multiple maps of Chiang Mai and introduced us all good foods, shops and even massages. They suggested us several activities for us, very helpful. We are so thankful for the introduction. The coffee shop(also is their office) is so lovely and full of CATS! We love cats so much so it's a treasure for us but if you get allergies easily you have to take it consider.
And conclude some weaknesses:
1.Our room is at the third floor and the side one so it's a little bit too hot even turn on the AC it still needs quite some time to cool the room down.
2.The bathroom and the toilet are outside the room so it's a little bit inconvenient.
3.The fences around the corridor are too low(around 50cm high) that might be dangerous.
But after all, this hotel is outstanding and suits guests with budget.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Having said that, there is no point in spending 20 USD (which entitles you to a very good accommodation, I have spent here one year and I know it). In brief:
- extremely small room, with no space. Clean but not well maintained. Dark as the window is facing a court with no sunlight
- bathroom is outside and small
- there are no common areas, apart from the room where they serve coffee (the only charming and warm room here), and it is packed with cats - lots of cats. I love cats very much, but I am thinking to other people. This 'reception' is open only during the day
- it is far from the center (I had a scooter, but without that it may take a while to reach the central area by walking) and not in a pleasant area
- it is not quiet. Although the street is not big or particularly trafficked, it is rather noisy
- the building looks nice from the facade that you see in the website picts. But it is not nice at all
By adding 7 USD I moved to a guesthouse which - compared to this - was a five star hotel. And I have seen a few in the city center much better in the same price category

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Massimo R
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I found the staff to be very kind, happy and very very helpful. You arrive and are given a very refreshing drink and an informative chat about all the best places to eat and the best things to do. They were also always happy to ring and were helpful in organising all of our tours. Internet is plentiful and the common area is great. It does close at 8 which is a shame. The room is very clean and has everything you need, fresh drinking water every day too. Found the bed to be hard but that seems to be standard in SE Asia. The old center is a bit of a walk but manageable.

Overall it is a great place to stay and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I heard about this place from a friend who owns a coffee shop in Chiang Mai. It's a charming little guesthouse and again the host is awesome, she does the sit-down with you explaining all your top options of places to visit and how to get around, providing detailed maps, has suggestions for anything, just excellent service. Getting there is no problems, you get an "official" taxi, ticket at the airport (120/150THB) and go from there but I suggest writing down the address and phone number just in case, because it's not the most famous hotel. I rented a double room that costs 600THB but if truly backpacking and willing to share rooms, they will have much cheaper options.
The room was much nicer than expected, clean and everything worked fine. Great wifi and I could skype with no problems. You can borrow their computer in their lounge if you need to go online as well. Staff just does a great job and they're somewhat uptight but funny and super helpful. You can easily connect with other travelers here. Small minus is that the lobby/hangout area closes at 8pm so you can't sit up late and drink if that's your thing. Security guard watching the place at night so you can park your bike safely etc.

As for the location - This is not in the middle of a tourist area and you will want to travel around a lot, but everything essential is walking distance. Tons of great street food, 7/11s everywhere and you can get your clothes etc if you need that. Good laundry service next door for a really cheap price. When you're gonna stay in Chiang Mai, you need one thing - a motorbike/scooter, because you'll be going across the city a lot. Bicycle will work too and Banilah rents them out for free if you're uncomfortable with a motor vehicle, but then you can't go that far (It's quite a large area depending on what you want to do).

This is a very nice base to explore from but I won't recommend it if you're looking to party in Chiang Mai, then get something in the Old City or Nimman. Mornings may be a bit noisy with traffic from 6am-ish, so try to get a room away from the road.
Upon checking out, they called the motorbike rental who came and picked up my bike on the spot and they ordered a tuk-tuk to the airport for a more-than-fair price. No hassle, they do everything for you. That kind of service exceeds all my expectations. Easy 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Firstly I have to express anger at some other reviews on here. If you're paying $20 a night and a cockroach is In your room... In Thailand... Get over it. If it's just one deal with it. And the cat thing... I think it's very sweet.
That being said... We didn't encounter a single bug, our room was spotless. The girls who work here go above and beyond to accommodate. They hired our motorcycles for us, returned them and left the deposit back in our room, booked tuk tuks for us, sat us down when we arrived with a map and highlighters and showed us where everything is from massage places to the best cheap eats to the cheaper markets, they even left candy and sweet notes on our beds at night.
I read one other review saying they were annoyed cos they move your stuff when they clean?!?!?!? If you don't want you room cleaned you can say so... Otherwise how are they supposed to clean and make a bed without moving stuff. Ours was left perfectly tidily on the side tables. No complaints.
Ok...they do have cats. If you're allergic don't stay here. They have about 5 cats on leashes in the lobby and someone somewhere must be a little cat crazy as there are cat things everywhere! Even the candy they leave on your bed has cats on it. But it is sweet. Unless you're allergic I don't see why this should be an issue... They don't go anywhere near the rooms... We did not find a shred of cat hair in our room.
The bathrooms are effectively on your balcony. You step out a back door
Into a little balcony and then immediately into your own private bathroom. The showers are hot and the bathrooms are clean and we did not get a problem with Mosquitos like someone else said. And I get bitten usually a ton more than your average person and we were here in the wet season.
Stay here!!!! I urge you you won't regret it. These ladies deserve the business. They are lovely charming people. They will make your stay pleasant and comfortable and as stress free as possible.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bexen
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Overall was a positive experience I advice this guest house. The room was quite cheap, beds are comfortable, easy to rent scooters, convenience store just around the corner, staff are nice/professional and near by have a coffee house with an excellent International breakfast. Definitely Value for money. Some Negative Points: toilet outside the room, noise, room door can't close properly, location is a bit far from the centre and if you don't like cats or you are allergic don't stay here they love cats :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Nice staff and reasonably priced rooms, with a sort of boutique feel. The hostel is all about cats, and the staff absolutely loves them. If you're allergic to cats, please don't come to this hostel... You're going to have a bad time. My room was a single bedroom with fan. It's tolerable to stay in a room like this, although the noise from the fans can disturb you during the night. For the price I think it's a fair hostel, the staff is nice and it's available to give you tips and advices about the city. Location is a little bit far from the city centre, and therefore you might have to spend on average 150B on a tuk tuk to come home. Generally I would recommend the hostel, however if I would come back to chiang Mai, I would choose a more central location.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends