“Nice but could be so much better”

At Pingnakorn Hotel Chiangmai
Ranked #79 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
London, United Kingdom
“Nice but could be so much better”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The hotel is located near a trendy area with restaurants and bars nearby but some distance from the old city and night market – you would have to take a cab to get anywhere.

Check in went smoothly but there was no bell staff to carry the luggage or show the room.

The room is spacious and well decorated with nice touches purchased from Hang Dong. There was a small kitchenette and sitting area that was nice. The bed is very hard and quite uncomfortable – previous reviewer talked about how comfortable the bed was – not in my room or my friend’s room. Rock hard.

There was a disco near my room that went until 1:30 am so sleeping was no possible until that time. I asked reception for a quiet room and he told me this was very quiet. I guess he had no issue with loud base music. The air conditioner control was very difficult to understand and unless you were able to read the strange hieroglyphics on the control there was no way to control fan speed or the sweep motion so the air blew directly onto the bed.

The bathroom was nice with a bathtub and separate glassed in shower. The sink is very low for the average foreign guest. The shower nozzle was falling down so there was no way to have a regular stand up shower – surprising that someone in housekeeping wouldn’t notice that or on room inspection. Maybe no room inspections are being done. Lastly there are no P-traps or bell traps in the sewer drains so the sewer smell fills the bathroom. I expect this in a 150 baht a night guest house but not a 2,000 baht hotel room. That is absolutely unacceptable

Breakfast was terrible to say the least. It was 90% Asian food with only toast and jam and cornflakes for Westerners. I had to ask for a spoon and fork as I could only find chop sticks. Again I had read from a previous review that the breakfast had a large selection – no way – it was very poor with only 1 fruit (watermelon of course because it is the cheapest thing to buy) and sweetened Tang for juice. I asked to have an omelet made and had to ask 3 times – finally someone agreed to do it, I explained that I wanted cheese and mushroom and they came with bacon and cheese. Since I am vegetarian I sent it back and it later returned with the bacon removed but clearly was the same omelet so I could not eat it.

I did not see a pool or fitness room.

The hotel needs some Western management if they want Western guests. I only saw Asian guests there so maybe they have no desire to cater to Western needs. It is disappointing because they have done such a nice job on decoration and then fail in the service and support areas.

Upon check-out they had someone misplaced the keys to my car so we had to wait 20 minutes for them to locate them.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank nonoiseplease

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We love all the nice little restaurants and coffee shops in the Nimmanhaemin area so for us it was in the perfect location. The staff were friendly and spoke good English. Our room was spacious, beautiful and quiet and there was a selection of books and DVD's in the room which was nice. My only complaint was that the shower was either too cold or too hot and difficult to get the right temperature. The breakfast was very good - mostly Thai dishes but there was also bacon, eggs, cereal and bread for people who prefer Western food. Airport transfer is free if you stay three nights or more. We will definitely stay here if we are in Chiang Mai again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jen186527
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We booked a standard room at a promotional price, upon arrival, we were told to be upgraded to a deluxe room without any additional charge, good surprise! The hotel was way above our expectation compared to the small amounts we paid: tasteful decoration, clean and spacious room, warm staff.
The hotel is situated at nimman soi 12, close to the various shops, restos, bars at nimman and a free shuttle service was provided from hotel to the main road - nimmanhaeminda road to hotel guests who wants to go out.
If there is one thing I must mention, that will be the quality and diversification of the breakfast. I loved the food there~~~
We were overall satisfied. The only thing that made us a bit disappointed was that the prices shown on resto bill were different from those on the menu!!! They explained that prices were adjusted recently while the old menus were not yet updated. Anyway, be careful and take a look at the bill before you pay if you have lunch or dinner at the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wei W
BKK
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I stayed with this hotel with a very good deal from agoda.com, price was really cheap compared to great experience I got.
First, airport transfer was so cheap while they provided you a nice van. Hotel's location is really suitable for both business and leisure's tourists. It's closed to many good restaurants and trendy pub, right on Nimmanhaemin road, well known chic area in Chiang Mai.

Then, we were upgraded to deluxe room which came with not only comfortable bed and fully amenities set bathroom but also space for 2 dining - relaxing area. Also with door separated kitchen and balcony. What a great room I got!!! Which less than 40 USD per day.

Hotel decoration is also fantastic as owner are artist. They tried their best to maximise their space to become a chilled garden and breakfast area.

Unfortunately, I wrote this review by my IPad if not I will upload tons of cool pictures for ou guys.
Just go to their website, you will get what you see from it.

Room Tip: High floor, better view.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Due33
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in the trendy Nimman. Rd area. Greeted enthusiastically when is arrived and escorted with an early check in to my room started my stay off well. The room was decorated quite well down to the teacups. An amazing breakfast buffet was included which was always changing. Really really enjoyed my stay here!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank kaceyh402
BANGKOK
Reviewed 28 April 2012

discerning interior decoration, intimate ambience, delicious foods, one of the best city stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank THITIPANBangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Been there in Oct'11. Situated in the lifestyle road of Chiangmai with lots of restaurants, cafe, hip pubs, and chic shops around. No tourist traps or dirty bars like in Nightbazaar area. From the hotel, you can easily go to everywhere in Chiangmai city areas either with your own car or the public red-cab truck.

The exterior of the hotel may be simple and a bit aged but the interior was charming. Services were good. The room was perfect. Best of all was their buffet breakfast. Not a vast choice but not a boring American style! It had a mouthwatering local food that you can't find in any of the chain hotels.

The downsides were 1.) not the best view from the windows in the room and 2.) still need to take few steps up or down the stair to get to the elevator. Not a good choice for those with a walking difficulty.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business