“Second Visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #74 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Chicago, Illinois
“Second Visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed here last year for work and returned again. We are able to get our work done and like that it is just charming enough not to feel like a hotel. The staff is helpful. We did have a mix-up with our booking the first night and a few air conditioner problems though. Location is convenient for many eating places and getting around Chiang Mai. We will probably come again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I spent 10 days here for work in January in superior room 402 with a separate kitchenette. The room was very clean and comfortable with a window overlooking the mountain and a small balcony off the kitchen. There was a decent sized table next to the window with good internet connection where I could work. There is also cable TV and air conditioning. The room was generally very quiet with hardly any noise from neighbouring rooms or the corridor outside. There was some noise from night clubs outside the hotel during the evening but ear plugs and/or the air con on made this a minor problem.
The bathroom was generally good - though hot water could sometimes be a bit scarce! The 2 free bottles of water per day are nice. Breakfast is a varied Asian menu and sausages, poached eggs,toast, and 2 cereal choices to cater for western diets. The coffee is freshly ground in a coffee machine and the best coffee I have had in SE Asia. There is also fresh milk available instead of those awful creamer sachets!

Staff were friendly and helpful and spoke good English. On 2 occasions my room was not serviced but this could have been because I was working in my room during the day. I was given free transport to the airport with a very nice young English speaking staff member who had studied in Australia.
The location is excellent within easy walking distance to a number of very good places to eat including 'Khun Chun' (directly across Nimmanhaemin road and down about 20 metres) and 'Why Not' (turn left down Nimmanhaemin and then 3rd on right about 100 metres down). Wat Suan Dok is about 20minutes easy walk, and it's very easy to get a red truck or tuk tuk into the old town. Just
say 'Kantary Hills' to the driver and they know where to go (Pingnakorn is in the same side street/soi off Nimmanhaemin about 20 metres further down). I can also recommend Kandara Spa which is next to the hotel and although a bit more expensive, is definitely worth it.
Overall, lacks atmosphere but is clean and comfortable and is an easy and convenient place to stay in Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: Room 402 has a nice view and balcony off the kitchen.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank campbells05
Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

I was bowled over by the pictures of the hotel when I was researching for my accommodation in Chiangmai. The furnishings were quirky, a classic fusion of European, vintage and Thai touches. Unfortunately besides that this hotel has no more wow factor to impress me to return.

Starting from the hardware of the hotel:
We booked a 2-bedroom unit and that was spacious though there was no TV in the living area.
There was a permanent foul smell in the living area so we stayed in our bedrooms most of the time.
The decorations were really funky and exquisite at first glance, but having spent some time you'll realise that not a lot of thought was given to the actual living in it as some stuff are just not practical.
My BIGGEST complaint would be that the water heater is so so so bad. The water runs cold so you turn it to the left to turn on the hot water, then it heats up and doesn't stop heating up, so it gets increasingly hot so you have no choice but to turn right to cool it down, but it doesn't cool down until you turn it all the way to the right then you can hear the heater clicking off (heater is under the sink). Then it gets cold. Then you turn left again to turn on the heater, once again it just gets increasingly hot till it become scalding, then you turn right to cool it and the heater turns off. There is just NO in between for the temperature so I spent a long time turning on and off and on and off the heater just to shower. Then the shower curtain does nothing to prevent water from flowing off the sides of the bathtub onto the floor. And the frosted glass windows in the bathroom...not sure if it actually blocks anything out as I'm sure the apartment block opposite will still be able to see your naked silhouette when bathroom lights are on at night. So maybe you can only shower in the day. The toilet roll was also placed at an awkward angle so we removed the roll from the holder and placed it at the side.
Free wifi but they only have one access port on each floor so if you're at the end of the corridor and you close the door you can forget about getting a signal. We could not use wifi at all throughout our stay as we could not get a wifi signal at all.
The hotel is near the airport so expect to hear planes taking off and landing at all times of the day. There is also a karaoke nearby so I heard lousy singing till 1am.
The hotel was located at the end of the road, which is about a 200m walk. That itself was a disadvantage given that there are so many more choices along the main road. Nimman is accommodation haven and I would definitely recommending you check others out before this.

What really killed the experience was the staff. Coming from the hospitality industry I do have certain set expectations of a resort, and I can lower my expectations even for a "3-star" hotel like this. But the staff were really very inexperienced and flustered at most times. When we arrived 2 staff seated at the counter was serving another guest, I would have thought at least one of them could come to help us check-in. No acknowledgement whatsoever that we have arrived and there were 4 of us at the lobby. They brought the welcome drink out and just placed it on the reception table. We didn't know if it was for us since they didn't seem to acknowledge us at all, which was extremely rude to me. At least gesture to me that you have seen me and please wait a little while.
Then when I finally got to the counter I asked if the drink was for us, they nodded yes. Given that I spoke fluent Thai so there was no excuse for language barrier. I told them I booked the two-bedroom suite, didn't even get to mention my name they said "you still have to pay THB 4000 balance payment". WOW. After paying they just took the key out, gave it to me and told me to sign the register.
Then as we were on a late night flight we asked to see if they could give us a late checkout. I wasn't even asking for a very late checkout, maybe just 1-2 hours so we can sleep in a little bit more before packing, but they didn't even bother to check they just said no late checkout.
And they really are very bad at multi-tasking so please ask them one question at a time. They will take about 15 minutes fiddling here and there, talking on the phone, appearing busy and all the time I was just staring at them wondering if they heard my question in the first place. It's just extremely rude to not acknowledge your guest and if you are working on a solution, to at least let the guest know you are working on it.
We asked them to store our luggage as we were heading out and when we came back we asked for our luggage. They literally just took out the luggage in the storage area from across the carpark and left it there. They didn't even bother to bring it to the lobby area so we had to walk there to get our own luggage. I swear I am not a mean person and I have never raised my voice with the staff so I am not sure what is with all the animosity or are they all like that?

Like I said, Nimman has a lot more choices so I would not recommend this hotel first. Plenty of other boutique hotels in the area so check those out first.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Very pleasent hotel , staff a little snobby but generally good. Breakfast was nicest ive had anywhere in the world , huge selection of foods from around the world. Very close to main area with lots of bars and restaurants. A very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sacha-the-nymph
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

I spending 2 nights in 2 bedroom suite(red one) @ 5,000B.-/night Everything is fine.
Bad pillow :-(
Good location.
Reasonable price.
Feel safe.

Hot water working well.
Free wifi quite low speed.
Complementary
To Nimmanhaemin 2 mins walk.
Wine bar near by.
No view. No balcony

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

The hotel is located near a trendy area with restaurants and bars nearby but some distance from the old city and night market – you would have to take a cab to get anywhere.

Check in went smoothly but there was no bell staff to carry the luggage or show the room.

The room is spacious and well decorated with nice touches purchased from Hang Dong. There was a small kitchenette and sitting area that was nice. The bed is very hard and quite uncomfortable – previous reviewer talked about how comfortable the bed was – not in my room or my friend’s room. Rock hard.

There was a disco near my room that went until 1:30 am so sleeping was no possible until that time. I asked reception for a quiet room and he told me this was very quiet. I guess he had no issue with loud base music. The air conditioner control was very difficult to understand and unless you were able to read the strange hieroglyphics on the control there was no way to control fan speed or the sweep motion so the air blew directly onto the bed.

The bathroom was nice with a bathtub and separate glassed in shower. The sink is very low for the average foreign guest. The shower nozzle was falling down so there was no way to have a regular stand up shower – surprising that someone in housekeeping wouldn’t notice that or on room inspection. Maybe no room inspections are being done. Lastly there are no P-traps or bell traps in the sewer drains so the sewer smell fills the bathroom. I expect this in a 150 baht a night guest house but not a 2,000 baht hotel room. That is absolutely unacceptable

Breakfast was terrible to say the least. It was 90% Asian food with only toast and jam and cornflakes for Westerners. I had to ask for a spoon and fork as I could only find chop sticks. Again I had read from a previous review that the breakfast had a large selection – no way – it was very poor with only 1 fruit (watermelon of course because it is the cheapest thing to buy) and sweetened Tang for juice. I asked to have an omelet made and had to ask 3 times – finally someone agreed to do it, I explained that I wanted cheese and mushroom and they came with bacon and cheese. Since I am vegetarian I sent it back and it later returned with the bacon removed but clearly was the same omelet so I could not eat it.

I did not see a pool or fitness room.

The hotel needs some Western management if they want Western guests. I only saw Asian guests there so maybe they have no desire to cater to Western needs. It is disappointing because they have done such a nice job on decoration and then fail in the service and support areas.

Upon check-out they had someone misplaced the keys to my car so we had to wait 20 minutes for them to locate them.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nonoiseplease
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We love all the nice little restaurants and coffee shops in the Nimmanhaemin area so for us it was in the perfect location. The staff were friendly and spoke good English. Our room was spacious, beautiful and quiet and there was a selection of books and DVD's in the room which was nice. My only complaint was that the shower was either too cold or too hot and difficult to get the right temperature. The breakfast was very good - mostly Thai dishes but there was also bacon, eggs, cereal and bread for people who prefer Western food. Airport transfer is free if you stay three nights or more. We will definitely stay here if we are in Chiang Mai again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple