“Good at first glance, but many problems” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of At Pingnakorn Hotel Chiangmai

At Pingnakorn Hotel Chiangmai
Ranked #72 of 373 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Asia
“Good at first glance, but many problems”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I booked At Pingnakorn based on reviews from here and Agoda. I should have checked for possible fake reviews (those here with only 1-2 reviews but 5 star rating) more. Overall passable but I'd look for other hotels next time I go to Chianf Mai.

Good
====

- Tasteful decor.
- Room on level 6 was quite large- like a pseudo 1.5 bedroom unit with x1 large ensuite, and large main bathroom, living room which , instead of sofa, had a single bed with full frame surrounding bed so can hang tasteful light drapes, lots of mirrors- I like mirrors.
- Breakfast is reasonable.
- I borrowed a golf umbrella sized umbrella at no cost.
- Tv has many stations.
- Area is reasonably close to main road eateries, and 7/11's and some shopping centres- Maya, Kad Kaew Thay, and also Chiang Mai Zoo and some Wat's (temples) and hiking trails
- Unlike many reviewers, I did not have much trouble with the WiFi, In fact it was far more reliable than the 3G data from my dtac Thai sim card that I bought from 7/11.
- Lots of powerpoints
- Bedding good.

Not so Good
==========

- When I got there- x4 lights in x3 rooms did not work, only one of two bathrooms had toilet paper, one of the hinges of a kitchen cupboard door was detached, a used towel was left hanging on the hook on back of main bathroom door. I told reception in person 3 times. the night I arrived, the next morning, last night I was there. I saw them write my room number on some paper. Only result was replenishment of toilet paper by housekeeping next day. The towel hanging was only taken away after I placed it in the bathroom sink. On second day I was there, the main bedroom aircon started leaking water. I'd told them twice by then, so I didn't bother saying anything until the end. On second day, they even left their Livia Hand cream tube on living room table. I hope it was theirs, because otherwise a hotel guest got into my room...but nothing stolen so assume was house keeping.

- mosquitos. Much of the building is open, so there are mosquitos galore. Some even got into my room. I must have slapped about 20 during my time there

- The bottom level verandah has almost no lighting- can't see it at night. Bit scary, especially for newbie and some ladies.

- When I first arrived, they asked if I wanted "an upgrade" to their newer hotel. I asked why and they said just want to let people know about it. I said no, and they said they had given me an "upgrade" At Pingnakorn. Seemed somewhat strange.

-Lots of noise outside, like aircon? Also have some noise from overhead airplanes at night, but not many.

- Main bathroom shower area- being in a bathtub meant limited foot placement area. Ensuite had normal floor, but no hot water and could not lift nozzles higher- about 5 foot 6-7.

Worst things for me were the poor condition of the room lights when I got there, complete lack of response (I even showed them photos of the lights and cupboard door), leaking air con(Air con is essential for living in the tropics!) and the mosquitos, especially downstairs at eating area and reception.

Sorry- I know I sound like a whinger. But I really don't think these things were acceptable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank SirCyrus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed here for a week in 3 different rooms. Although tastefully decorated and pretty cute especially in the common areas, the rooms are pretty old and need fresh paint and tender loving care. The walls had scuff marks and the grout was no longer white. The slippers and bathrobes and towels were no longer crisp nor white. The yellow sheets had lots of bleach marks. The flooring was old, upholstery, throw pillows unraveling, curtains and blinds were old, extremely bent in numerous places etc. The bed is so-so. The WIFI was unbearable... didn't work for more than 60% of the time. There was an ant problem if you left your soda on the table. AC condensation leaked and ran down wall. The rate (highest was about $65US for a superior double) includes breakfast which is not your typical Western breakfast, so you may not be getting your money worth's there. I tried to eat something if time permitted, but breakfast was non-negotiable and part of the rate. I felt it was overpriced. Also, it is a little outside of the old city, so it will cost you to travel around to sight see and return. It is a great location if you want to go to coffee shops and bars but is a little noisy on weekends. Also there is some nearby construction and you can hear airport traffic. I prebooked so had no out really. The staff is nice, but the hotel is worn down, needs tender loving care, and breakfast is non negotiable and thus inflates the price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank B L
Chonburi, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Staffs, Room, Service are perfect. Especially, fantastic breakfast in Thai Northern style with variety selection. However, there are something need to be improve such shower is not stable and breakfast serve quite late after 7.30 am.
For me, overall is fine and it's a good choice for you to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed there during their grand opening with my father. We were really impressed with the interior design of the hotel. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. Given their price, we feel that it's very very reasonable. The bed and bedding was extremely plush and comfy. Since the hotel is new, everything is very new and clean. The staffs were friendly and helpful, as most hotels are in Thailand. The hotel is not too far from Nimman Hemin road (hip street with awesome food & drinks places.) We rented a car so we had no problem going around. But even if you don't plan on driving, Song-Teaw (red trucks) works well too. One of the best things about this hotel (apart from the bed and bedding and the design) was food. The owner of the hotel is a real food person, therefore she takes really good care of the food that was put on the menu. The hotel serves one of the best norther Thai food, it was fantastic. If you get a chance to meet the owner, she's a real special lady. She designed everything in her hotel and you could tell that she did it with her heart.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I got the single room on the top floor, price is reasonable and very comfortable. Breakfast is good and the decor is fantastic. Just only one that i did not like(but not much) is the location because i used the public transportation, it is quite far from the Nimman road.

• Stayed December 2013
Chanthaburi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel was situated in a good location, easy to access. The room I stayed was clean, well-decorated and spacious, 1 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, 1 living room with a small bed. My children really like the room we stayed. Breakfast was great with variety of food. Staffs provided service with smile. Personally, I think that this hotel offered a very good value for money. We really got more than we paid. If I had to go to Chiang Mai again, I'll definitely stay at At Pingnakornorn.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Clean & convenient. We stayed in suite 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and living room with pantry. Our kids enjoyed it very much cos it was spacious. Breakfast is great! Varieties and delicious. However, there's not much space in the lobby for kids to run around but that's not our problem cos we went out everyday to explore the city. Prepare to walk up and down on stairs. Though it has elevator but it stop on 1.5, 2.5,3.5 fl so you if you stay on 2fl you either has to stop at 2.5 and walk a few steps down or 1.5 and walk a few steps up.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family