“Clean and cost effective”

Ban wiang Guest House and Apartment
Ranked #357 of 786 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I have just come out of a Buddhist monastery so was looking for a quiet place to go thru a little transition period, and get ready for the next stage of my travels .II got the quiet part it seems, and the room is OK but no view, so it is a little bit prison like, but it has really good wifi. The owner seems nice and gave me a bowl to eat my curry with. The front desk girl is totally obnoxious. At first I thought it must be a language problem, but I am afraid it is unpleasantness I ran out of Thia baht yesterday and managed to find the ATM that I wanted today.. I have been totally hassled to pay money up front in full, and to pay for a key deposit for a front door key that I will not use as I am not going out at night after 10pm. The owner this morning suggested that I was leaving (doing a runner) as I had my small day pack on when i was leaving to find the ATM. In no way did it look like a packed bag full of luggage. I did not like the accusation or the implications, and have not encountered this type of behavior in other parts of Thailand really. Do foreigners have to be treated like they are all suspect and potential criminals? it makes one wonder what goes on in Chang Mai.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 September 2012

Cost 500 baht for a twin room here, very reasonably priced. In a fairly quiet location, but close enough to eateries and bars. Staff friendly and the woman on reception was very helpful getting us booked onto an elephant trekking trip, which we got a bit cheaper by telling some porkies. The rooms were clean, had a TV in, nice balcony and the bathroom was decent. There were also two computers on site providing some very cheap internet. Would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheNotoriousT
Reviewed 7 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights whilst on a three month backpacking tour. We paid 300baht for a double room which before entering the room was very happy with, however, once we had seen our room we were not. The room size wasn't a problem to me as it was big enough for what was required, however the bathroom absolutely stank and whenever the door was opened for only a split second this would then make the whole room smell for ages. The bed was extremely hard and bed covers also smelt. Unfortunately I just felt dirty when in the room and couldn't relax, we didn't shower as it was basically impossible unless you were five foot tall and didn't need to use arms when washing. There were a few pros however, locations is good, wi fi is free and reliable and price is kinda low, however for only an extra 100baht you can get a beautiful room only down the road. I would not stay here again :( oh and finally...you are woken at 5am in the morning by the neighbouring temple and a 100 strong group of dogs barking for about half an hour! Beautiful temple...not so beautiful sleeping next door haha

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed three nights in Chiang Mai: queen sized bed, fan only for 350baht a night. Rooms a not that big, bathroom is small but it is clean and has hot water shower. There is a tv in our room with only a few English channels( no HBO unfortunately ). A couple of really positives to our stay, the front desk lady was extremely
helpful in booking treks, cooking classes, and transportation. The other positive for those who are particular about their cloths is the ability to do your own machine wash/dry laundry. Wash is 50baht and dry is 60baht/ hour ( there is also drying racks on our balcony if you prefer to air dry). This might not be the cheapest option as there are cleaners across the street but some people are worried that their clothes will be ruined.
There is also a nice common area.
probably the best part about this place other than the cost is the location. Only a minute walk from the Sunday market/ Th Ratchadamnoen, 5 minutes to Starbucks/Mcdonlds if you're missing home, and 10 minute walk to the night markets.
All in all a good place!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights. We had a great experience. For 500 baht we had a nice aircon room with all the basic needs. The staff was very friendly and helpfull!!!! The location was also very good. If i ever go back to chiang mai, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2012

the guesthouse was very clean and handy location. However the woman became very unfriendly when we did not book a tour with her the fist day and anytime she saw us she contuned to hassle us about booking a tour. we didnt book a tour becuase they had a huge mark up compared to other operators nearby. She was very rude after that. We had to beg for clean towels and room was never cleaned after staying three nights.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aisling8888
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed at ban wiang for 3 nights, and the first thing that won us over was the extremely friendly and helpful lady at reception. The room was clean (and despite what the OP said, there were no bed bugs). We also got a 50 B per night discount off of an already good price for staying 3 nights. Good TV, good air con, good service. We were also able to arrange scooters and excursions directly at the front desk, making our visit to CM very easy.

• Stayed: June 2012