“Big rooms, excellent location.”

Thapae Boutique House
Ranked #117 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Ubud, Indonesia
“Big rooms, excellent location.”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This charming little place is located down a quiet soi (side-street), right near Thape gate. The large, nicely decorated rooms come with seperate toilet/shower room, tv, fridge and desk. Its all set in a lovely garden with places to chill out and relax. There is free wi fi, as well as computers for guests to use. Breakfast is also included, which consists of eggs, ham, toast, fruit, juice and coffee. To top it all off the staff here are very friendly and super helpful. Overall, its excellent value. The only drawback was that the beds were very firm, although when we brought this up with the staff, they gladly moved us to a different room with softer beds.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with softer beds. If you are elderly, or disabled, ask for a downstairs room, as ther...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ohio
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. The staff was so helpful calling out tour group when we were afraid they wouldn't pick us up. They did. The staff knew us by name on our arrival after I worried on the plane that I had left my Priceline proof of payment in Ohio. I worried for nothing. When we left on our tours before the official breakfast start time they made breakfast for us anyways along with other guests who also were leaving early. The location is just fantastic. It's a 2 minute walk from a gorgeous Temple. It might be 5 minutes from the night market past interesting stores and money changing places. The room was clean and quiet. We asked for a quiet room and the only thing we heard were the caged birds chirping in the morning at the restaurant/hotel across the alley way from them. The staff is so helpful answering any and all questions and it's free Wifi with 2 free computers in the front lobby.
The best thing about breakfast is the fruit smoothies and the coffee. The eggs were cooked to order but the toast looked like Wonder bread and the eggs came with a sausage like hot dog and a piece of ham. But it was enough to get going in the morning and after the 1st morning the cook gave me a double size coffee all by himself.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Pingtung, Taiwan
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Originally we booked this guesthouse for 3 nights, but we stayed 5 nights cause my kids were pretty sick during the trip. We had to cancel one of our main destination and stay in Chaing Mai for kids to get better. Our room is on the 3rd floor. I like the big bed a lot. Very roomy for my 2 kids and I sleep in. The room is big, quiet and clean. One of the female staffs(I think she maybe the manager or senior supervisor.) who was very helpful during our stay. The location is great. Just outside of the Tapae gate. We had a good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2013

This lovely little guesthouse is situated down a small soi just off Thapae Rd. Turn right on the road and you're a 5-10 minute walk away from the night bazaar. Turn left and youre 2 minutes from the east gate of the old city and where the sunday walking market is. Theres loads of places to eat nearby you will never be stuck. The staff are nice and helpful, the laundry service is reliable and quick too. The rooms are of a decent size, ours was a little dark but not so much that it became an issue. Some dodgy plastering in the bathroom which makes it look like they forgot to tile it but its spotlessly clean so doesn't put you off. In room safe is ideal. The breakfast is served in the very pleasant sitting area at the front of the guesthouse. Breakfast is freshly cooked served with tea/coffee and pineapple shake. We would happily stay here again when back in Chiang Mai, good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013
USA
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Great location -- within easy walking distance of Tha Phae Gate/Old Town (location of the Sunday Market) and also the Night Market. Plenty of restaurants nearby and there's a 7-11 right around the corner for drinks or snacks.

Reception was very friendly and helpful -- especially "Gai", who used to be a tour guide, would always make recommendations on what to do or see. She even turned into our taxi driver on her day off!

My only complaint would be the bed. As others have stated, they are FIRM. Like, super-hard, there's-no-give-whatsoever-when-you-sit firm. That left me a bit sore but the benefits of this hotel far outweighed the negative; noise wasn't an issue, the bathroom was bare but clean, etc. -- Plus, there were 2 cats who roamed the reception/outside sitting area and cats make everything better.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Auckland, NZ
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This place was very well located. Well within walking distance of most of the cities major attractions (walls, gates, markets etc). Staff were very accommodating and friendly (as you expect throughout Thailand). Had nice communal areas and breakfast was basic but good. They did make an effort (misguided) at a European style breakfast, but it's best to stick with the fruit - and lots of it!
A word of warning about the beds. At check in they asked if I liked a firm or soft bed. I answered firm. They did say it was very firm, and I said that was fine. Well it was a brick!!! I think they knew all along that I wouldn't like it (expect these rooms are reserved for locals only) and the concierge chap waited while I tried the bed, and then promptly moved me to the room they thought I should be in all along. Great service, but if asked in Thailand if you want a firm bed the answer is always NO.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
queensland
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Just returned from 4 weeks in northern Thailand and used Thapae Boutique regularly over that period. The location is excellent within easy walking distance to the night market, restaurants , walking street markets. I found the service good and the reception girls were always obliging with information etc. I stayed in a few different rooms and found them all ok to my needs - I dont recall mosquitos being a problem - but to my thinking if they are you take appropriate precautions. I left my bags there on several occasions whilst I travelled away and had no issues. The garden is pleasant and the common area also good. Most of the rooms I stayed in cost me less than AU$30 - good value when you think about it!!

Room Tip: some rooms you can really hear the floor noise from the above room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo