“Not like the pictures you see on their website”
Review of U Chiang Mai

U Chiang Mai
Ranked #11 of 384 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Not like the pictures you see on their website”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed over Christmas at this hotel. We decided on this hotel based on the pictures on their website as well as comments from TA travelers that stayed here. We were a bit disappointed. We requested the upper floors. No view from the balconies. One faces the building within the hotel complex and the swimming pool. The rooms are average in size. The colour combination of dark brown with pale brown in the rooms is depressing. The lighting is dim and not sufficient. The balcony has a divan and the room has only one chair. I had to ask for another one to accomodate the second person. On the bright side,there is a safe deposit box which i consider important in every hotel room. The staff is kind and helpful. The breakfast is good, but remains the same every day. The website mentions breakfast available through the day which is misleading. The hotel is located in the city and opposite to several good restaurants. There is a seven 11 within walking distance. Free wifi available.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear IndiaEagle

Greetings from U Chiang Mai

I would like to begin by thanking you for sharing your experiences at U Chiang Mai with the Trip Advisor readership.
I was very pleased to read about the aspects of your stay that you enjoyed but must offer my sincerest apologies for those that did not meet your expectations and would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments.
I am sorry that you considered hotel to be not like the pictures on our website as we have never received a comment of this nature before. I also regret that the room decor was not to your liking and you found it “depressing” as our guests usually appreciate our use of traditional colour tones.
Your comment regarding the lighting has been well noted and we are considering ways this can be improved.
I must admit to being slightly confused as to your comment that our website is misleading regarding breakfast being available throughout the day as, like all U hotels and resorts, we operate a policy of breakfast “whenever/wherever” allowing our guests to enjoy their breakfast at any time of day and at any location throughout the hotel, such as poolside or in the room. In fact many of our guests consider this to be one of the highlights of their stay meaning they do not have to rush down to breakfast in the restaurant and instead dine at their leisure.
May I end by saying that despite your disappointment after reading the many positive reviews on Trip Advisor we hope that we have the chance to be of service to you again on your next visit to Chiang Mai.

Itthipon Meesawat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Never written a review before although travelled extensively but felt this one warranted it. We stayed here over New Year, great location and very helpful staff. Rooms spacious and clean, although housekeeping a bit haphazard at times. My one gripe would be the noisy wooden stairs outside our room, when people are walking up and down especially as it appears everybody is wearing flip flops, the noise from the stairwell is loud. Also the view from our room was side on to the pool but was mostly of a metal fence and wall. Overall a good stay just be aware of what room you get.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay away from rooms on the stairwell.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Singapore1966.

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

May I start by thanking you for taking the time to post a review of your stay on Trip Advisor and also take this opportunity to wish both you and your fellow Trip Advisor travellers a very happy and healthy New Year.
I was delighted to read your comment that having travelled extensively this was the first time you felt compelled to write a review. Comments such as this serve as an inspiration to both me and my team to maintain the high U standards for which the brand is known.
However I must offer my sincere apologies over the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed by the noise from the stairwell caused by other guests. Regretfully I have checked our records and there is no mention of this problem being passed on to my Front Office staff as we would have done our best to find you a more suitable room.
I was also concerned to learn that the housekeeping service was “haphazard” at times and would deeply appreciate it if you could find the time to contact me via gm@uchiangmai.com with your specific observations for me to pass on to my Housekeeping Manager for immediate action.
May I end by saying that it was an absolute pleasure to be of service to you during the holiday season and we hope that you have the chance to visit us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at u hotel over new year and it was absolutely fantastic! The bedrooms are very comfortable, spacious and clean. The hotel staff organised all our tours without any hesitation. The staff always remembered our names and asked how our excursions were! Amazing time in Chiang Mai!

Stayed December 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed here in November 2013 and it was in a great location. We walked most places within the old city and the Sunday night markets were right outside. The room itself was large and the balcony had a day bed that was a nice touch to relax on. Was really happy with service/ room and location

1 Thank Rob H
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed here for several nights while exploring Chiang Mai. Very nice comfortable rooms. Bottled drinking water is freely available. The staff is extremely friendly; meet with them to talk about your plans, and they will arrange anything they can for you. There are great free breakfast options. The location is perfect for wandering around the Old City, and I loved that the weekly night market was on the same street. Tons of food options nearby, local stores with wares, and convenience stores for any sundries you may need. Loved it!

1 Thank AZRoland
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Here's what I liked:
Perfect location for running about the old city, very kind service, really nice breakfast, good size rooms with nice bedding. We had room 105 which was pool access. It was nice to have a place to dangle our feet in the water, but not a big selling point.

Here's what I didn't like: room was sooooo dark! Lighting for makeup and reading was non existent! Admittedly, my eyes are bad, but even my eagle eyes husband struggled! Air conditioning was a little musty smelling. Hated getting ready at night with such unflattering lighting. I know it's superficial, but really, doe we need to emphasize our flaws?

Would stay again if they sorted the lighting out!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hollydaze
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear hollydaze

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at U Chiang Mai on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.
May I sincerely apologise for the issues you experienced with your room. After reading your review I have instructed my Engineering Team to attend to them immediately.
I would like to end by saying that we dearly hope you have the chance to visit us again on your next trip to Thailand.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This hotel is superbly situated in the centre of the city. Is boutique style with a lovely unusual entrance to it.
Rooms are a reasonable size with lots of decorative features that add character. There is a good size balcony overlooking the fairly small pool. Apart from breakfast we did not eat at the hotel. It there is a very nice upstairs bar overlooking the Main Street which is also where the Sunday Market is held.

Staff were very helpful, the majority speaking good English. They also assisted in sorting out a good English speaking guide/driver to take us out to the elephant sanctuary.

Also used the hotel spa using the special offer. Very good.

We could not fault this hotel in any way and If we go back to Chiang Mai we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool
2 Thank Sheila S