“Brilliant!”
Review of U Chiang Mai

U Chiang Mai
Ranked #16 of 394 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Delighted with my stay. Staff are very kind and efficient. Really think it was the ideal hotel location wise. Ate breakfast at the hotel and a couple of meals. Would not hesitate to return. Bed was so comfortable and the room in general was cleaned to a very high standard.
if I only had to pick one negative it would be that I thought there could do with being a bit more choice on the menu

Room Tip: Loved that each room had a balcony or terrace. The day beds are divine
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,497)

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We and another couple stayed for a few days right after Christmas, and found lots to praise about this hotel and nothing to complain about. The location is great, the hotel is in the middle of the action and within walking distance of a number of sites, services and restaurants. The building is well designed, with an open concept lobby that lead into the pool area. Although the rooms aren't large, they have a very relaxing, warm ambiance, are well furnished, with nice amenities (like a preloaded iPod, and minibar). The balcony is large enough for comfortable use.

Service from all stay was very good, we found the dining servers to be particularly pleasant. An iron and ironing board were promptly provided upon request and left in our for the duration of our stay. One feature of the hotel is breakfast where you want / when you want and we took full advantage of this. A couple of days we went off touring first thing in the morning and asked for "breakfast" by the pool in the earlier afternoon. This was accommodated cheerfully and efficiently. The breakfast menu was quite complete, promptly served and high quality. Our Christmas dinner in the restaurant was also very good.

Wifi service was good throughout, but the two-device limit was a minor pain (maybe I'm just too connected, but between 'phones, a laptop, tablet, and reader there are lots of things to hook up from time to time), but not really a big deal. There is a small by good fitness centre and bicycles available for use.

I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We only spent 2 nights here but would definitely come back! The staff was very friendly. The hotel was awesome. I think this was the most comfortable bed in Thailand! The location is great. You are right in the middle of everything!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights and had a great time. It is located right in the centre of the Old Town and is on the street the the Sunday Night Market is on, so you can step out of your front door straight into the action! The hotel has a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere with a small, but functional, pool and gym. There are plenty of places to eat and drink on the same road as the hotel and you're right in the middle of the temples if that's your thing.

I really enjoyed my stay here and the hotel helped to make Chiang Mai the highlight of my Thailand adventure :-)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We have spent 4 night with 2 kids (9 and 3 years old). Even if the hotel was fully booked on the arrival they have done all the possible to give us a larger room than the standard for 4 people. Than the room itself was gorgeous with all the comfort including an iPod with thousand of songs. Breakfast and food at the restaurant was good as well the swimming pool in the patio. The hotel is located in the heart of the city walking distance from almost all the attraction nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The hotel is beautiful with a nice swimming pool. The staff is amazing! They do everything for you feel comfortable. We can choose when we want to take the breakfast. The SPA is wonderful, we had our best thai massage until this moment. I really recommend this hotel!
And the localization is in the middle of the historic centre. Would it will be better?

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here 4 nights in earlyJan, first time in Chiang Mai. What a great location in the middle of the old city, an oasis of calm. Professional frendly staff. Great Breakfasts, good evening food and nicely appointed rooms, though not large.
Our too was on the ground floor- without a private pool - which was lovely. I would be less positive if we had been allocated a 1st or 2nd floor room. Lovely poolside with a few loungers, not enough really, but the property isn't large. wife said she saw a rat one eventing, I'm surprised and it didn't spoil the stay.
I would recommend this hotel and stay again;being in th centre means everything is near, or if not then organising a tour or taxi just along the street is easy and cheap (much cheaper than via the hotel - but they have to make some profits don't they!)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheDutchmanTheHague
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear TheDutchmanTheHague

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

I was delighted to read your review of your stay at U Chiang Mai and would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to post it. When our guests have an enjoyable time it only serves as an inspiration to both myself and my staff to strive to maintain the high standards we set ourselves.
I would like to mention the point you raised regarding the rat your wife spotted. At U Chiang Mai we undergo a frequent pest control programme using a professional outsourced company to handle any issues that may arise before they actually occur but I must confess to never having seen a rat in the hotel grounds or having one reported by our guests. As U Chiang Mai is a city centre hotel there is a possibility that ( as in all other hotels) a rat may have found its way into the gardens therefore if you could kindly find the time to inform me where you wife saw the creature I would greatly appreciate it so we can investigate where it came from and ensure that this access point is denied for any future “ visitors”.
My email address is gm@uchiangmai.com
May I end by saying that should you ever have the chance to visit Chiang Mai again we would be delighted to welcome you back as our honored guests.

Best Regards,