“Brilliant location”

Ranked #11 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
burton on trent
“Brilliant location”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights as part of our trip to Thailand. Brilliant location in the old town, Sunday street market just outside the hotel. Locality to temples all within walking distance, and so was the coffee shop. Massages a plenty. Hotel served a good breakfast anytime of the day which was very useful.,rooms are decorated beautifully, yes there may not be many sun beds but if you want to sunbathe go to the beach, Chaing Mai is for cultural visits which we thoroughly enjoyed. When we come back we will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sange31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
North Mackay, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We spent three nights at U Chiang Mai. We did request a ground floor room and are pleased that we did, as there are no lifts on the premises. On check in after a morning flight, we were advised that the room was available and that we had a private plunge pool. This was ideal and our daughter especially loved it. The rooms are clean and full of character. Bathrooms are modern and functional. Staff are friendly and ready to help with anything. We needed to pick up a few things from one of the shopping centres and staff made arrangements for us to be collected by the free shuttle. There was a good range of menu items for breakfast accompanied by a small buffet of fruit, pastries, cereals and yoghurts. The hotel is excellently located for exploring the old town, visiting temples, restaurants and massages. The Sunday night walking market is right at the front of the hotel. We were a little concerned after reading some slightly negative reviews which we have trouble relating to, we found the hotel to be perfect for our needs and providing an excellent contrast to Bangkok.

Room Tip: Ground floor room with private plunge pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sharon M
Indaiatuba, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in this hotel. It is located in the middle of the main street of Chiang Mai Old Town. On sunday the street market is located in front of this place and there are lots of restaurants, massage houses, agencies and the main temples are very close.

The rooms are very nice and clean and there is a pool area very comfortable to spend some hours. Finally, the people who work there are very pleasant, kind and try to make everything perfect in your stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucas T
UK
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as the first part of our honeymoon. The staff were attentive as soon as we stepped into the hotel. They always greeted us and were really helpful. We had a room that led straight out onto the pool (111) which was lovely, we also had breakfast on here for the three mornings we were there. Breakfast on offer throughout the whole day is a great benefit when you have jet lag and can still get a full breakfast to eat! The room was nicely decorated and well kept. The only down side was that the room is right by reception and so you do hear everyone returning from their nights out but that's not really the hotels fault, more the guests who don't consider people to be so close to the reception area I would imagine.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoldilocksUK
Sydney
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I've chosen the hotel from the reviews on the Trip Advisor. Due to the circumstances, I arrived without prior reservation but aware that there were several rooms available and the rates for that day. I was quoted a much higher rate by the reception then the hotel was selling on the Trip Advisor and after some negotiations it was dropped to that level but on the condition that I stay for three nights. I was allocated a dark room on the bottom floor with no view. It was full of mosquitoes. When I asked for another room, I was told that the only other room available was next door to a noisy Chinese family and I will not like it. As I was contemplating going to another hotel, I was shown a nice room upstairs. It was always available but not offered till the last minute. Three floors up with no lift or porter. I had to drag my suitcase up and down myself. I've stayed two nights and moved out. I've realised that I was paying too much for the hotel that was not worth it, when I could get something similar or even better for a quarter of the price in a nice quest house.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Irina N
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Irina N

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor and offer my sincere apologies that you were disappointed with your stay. Our sole intention is your total satisfaction and I regret that this did not occur in your case.
However in the interests of fairness and balance I would like to address some of the points you raised to clarify matters for both yourself and your fellow Trip Advisor readers.
The hotel does not actually “sell” rooms on Trip Advisor. The prices quoted on Trip Advisor are from external booking websites for pre-booked stays, which you did not have. As our own hotel website has the best rates we offered to check the room rate but you said you were tired and needed a room immediately after a long journey.
We did not make any conditions that you needed to stay for 3 nights. Actually my staff informed me that you were the one who requested a 3 night stay. As we were running at high occupancy regrettably we could only offer you a 2 night stay which you accepted. A couple of hours after checking-in a room became available on the 3rd night and it was immediately offered to you but for some reason you refused.
I would like to politely inform you that, quite contrary to your statement that a “nice room was always available but not offered until the last minute”, our staff did their utmost to please you and re-arranged that day’s reservations to give you a room already allocated to another guest who had not yet arrived.
If I may also politely refute your claim that you were not assisted with your luggage when moving rooms. The fact of the matter is I discovered our staff did assist you with moving rooms and I regret that you felt it necessary to write an erroneous statement. Furthermore at U Chiang Mai when a guest checks out they merely have to call for assistance on their in-room phone (as in the vast majority of other hotels) and a bell team member will handle their luggage. Upon investigation I was informed that you made no such request.
May I end by saying that our staff did their very best to be of service to you and it is regrettable that their efforts went unappreciated. The vast majority of reviews on Trip Advisor and our current ranking are testament to the high levels of service we strive to achieve and it is unfortunate that you did not consider this to be the case.
I genuinely hope that if you ever have the opportunity to return to Chiang Mai you manage to find accommodation at the price you feel you will be able to pay that is more in keeping with your requirements and matches the same levels of comfort, facilities and service as U Chiang Mai.

With Best Regards,
Itthipon Meesawat
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

The room was wonderful and very different to the other hotels I stayed in while in Thailand. Perhaps not as large as some of the others but definitely had it's own individual charm. Would highly recommend the U you anyone planning to go to Chaing Mai

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Pros: Good Location with easy access to transport & walking distance to the temples and restaurants. The Sunday walking market is at your doorstep. Staff are generally friendly and helpful. Bed was comfortable to sleep in. The breakfast spread was decent. Loved the 90 mins Royal thai massage

Cons: On arrival no one helped with luggage until after check in. The room was not ready despite prior notice of arrival time. The sofa was stained and there were light bulbs not working. The staff did however address these issues immediately after we complained. One day the air conditioning in the breakfast room wasn’t working & they provided 2 fans which were tucked away & hardly provided any relief from the heat or stuffiness. Could have done better. Expect a lot of mosquitos in the hotel and around the old city.

Room Tip: Request for the deluxe room with the private pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dragonfli3
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Dragonfli3

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all comments as they are vital in allowing us to maintain our reputation for high standards and attend to any issues experienced by our guests.
I must offer my genuine apologies that you left us with “mixed feelings” after enjoying so many aspects of your stay and would like to address the points you raised.
The lack of attention from my staff upon your check-in is certainly not what I expect from my team considering our reputation for high service standards. I have spoken to the department heads concerned regarding both this, why your room was not ready upon arrival and the issues with your accommodation. I am delighted we managed to attend to things in the shortest possible time and am extremely sorry that you were inconvenienced.
I must offer my further apologies over your discomfort during breakfast due to a problem at that particular time with the air conditioning. I am pleased to inform you that this matter has now been rectified.
As I have mentioned in previous reviews it is ultimately my responsibility to ensure the complete satisfaction of our guests therefore if there are any further points you would like to make me aware of that might benefit from my attention I would greatly appreciate it.
My email address is gm@uchiangmai.com
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
May I end by saying that I hope you have the chance to visit us again when you can witness firsthand the improvements we have made regarding your invaluable comments.

With Best Regards,