“Warm and Welcoming”

Ranked #52 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
London, United Kingdom
“Warm and Welcoming”
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Mr Kem was an absolute legend always keen to help out organize anything we wanted and recommending restaurants and things to do and see! Breakfast was great, fresh fruit, coffee and bread every morning, and they whipped up anything you asked for (if you asked the day before; croissants, mango and rice etc.) Fab place and simple sparse and clean rooms, free wifi and all for a knockout gobsmackingly good price.

2 Thank gapyah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We stayed in Chaing Mai for one week during Song Kran. Our train from Bangkok arrived very late, but Kem and Cat (owners) were happy to greet us. Cat immediately offered us drinks while Kem went over the map with us to make sure that we knew exactly where we were. We told him that we had a trekking tour booked for the next day and he insisted that he call to confirm with the company. He also made sure that the company knew where the hotel was and made sure they would be there to pick us up on time. For the 3 day trek, we left our luggage at Vanilla Place at no charge. Kem even gave us a free bottle of water to take on the trek! When we returned, our luggage was already in our room waiting for us!

During the additional 5 days that we stayed there, we really enjoyed the stay. Breakfast was ready at 6:30 every morning and consisted of coffee/tea, pastries, fruit, and toast. There is also a computer in the lounge area/breakfast area that is free to use at will. The room was standard and cleaned every day. We didn't have any windows (didn't pay for that extra) so it was quiet. The location is great. It's just down the street from the main markets, great restaurants, and a few blocks walk to the city walls. During Song Kran, the staff even participated in the water fights with us, which gave it a very homey feel. It's easy to tell that Kem and Cat are really nice people that are retired and doing what they love. Thanks Vanilla Place for a great stay!

2 Thank Globalmischief
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 May 2011

We booked two nights at Vanilla place based on the TA reviews and I have to say it did not live up to what I expected. My husband an I are pretty easy to please and this is the first time I've had to leave a less than great review after staying somewhere TA recommended.

First, the good things- the location is very good, just a block away from the night bazaar and an easy tuk tuk ride into the old city. They give you two free bottles of water every night and the laundry service was fast and relatively inexpensive.

The not so great- Our room did not feel very clean and when we opened the bed there was a dirty Q-tip in it. We would have asked to move rooms but the management is not around at night. The bathroom often smelled strongly of raw sewage, maybe because of the proximity to the river but disgusting nonetheless.

I haven't stayed at any other guesthouses in Chiang Mai at this price but I've stayed at similarly priced/marketed places around the world and I would not stay here again and would not recommend it. It seems like there are many other similar places in town, I would try one of the others.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Fennerlicious
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Mr.kem and his wife, mrs. Kat are very friendly and helpful. They made me feel like I was visiting my uncle and aunt, they treated me like I am their nephew not a tourist.

I've been travelled a lot and spent so many nights in several hotels around the world. The clerks at the front desk are all the same.(Dressed up and worked and talked like a robot)
But at vanilla place, they look simple but they worked with their wills and heart to make their guests happy. And I was happy and still happy when I think about them.

Housekeepers are so professional (I didn't expect that the guesthouse would have the maids to clean up your room everydays like this)and trustable. None of your stuffs will be stolen, don't worry.

And the one that I can't forget " miss pim" an assistance that can speak english very well, so she can help you and understand what you try to tell. Also she's very helpful and friendly with her little sense of humors.
She even allowed me to use her personal cellphone to call out for my business without any charge.

They are maybe little but really unforgetable.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank mocca_2go
Bangkok
Reviewed 26 April 2011

The reviews are so positive wanted to check this place out for myself. The reviews were correct. I don't think I have ever been at a place that treated me as both a guest and friend like this. The staff were all helpful and kind. Mr. Kem went above and beyond in his desire to see my short stay here be comfortable. Even when I had to leave a day early due to changes in business plans Mr. Kem was very gracious in changing how much I was charged for the room. When you stay here you are invited into and treated as if you are family. Location is both quiet and convenient. Short walk to Night Bazaar or short walk along the river into scenic areas. Travelled without a computer so the free internet use on the computer in the guest house was appreciated. Rooms were immaculate in their cleanliness and bigger than most guesthouses I've been at in the past. Basically, was hard to find any fault or thing to criticize about this guest house. You will be won over by kindness if you stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dutchmanBangkok
adelaide
Reviewed 22 April 2011

This place is located in "downtown" Chiang Mai, away from the main backpacker district in the old city and close to the night markets.

The owners provide great service, and were willing to drop everything at any time to make sure that you had a great stay.

There was no pool, and purely in terms of hotel facilities its probably a bit overpriced by about 200-300 Baht a night. But the way to look at it is you are basically paying that extra amount for the better service and for a very, very good travel agent who can give you advice and book your tours for you with a smile. He also seems to work comission free, offering a 10-20% discount on the various tours if you book through them.

Wi-Fi worked fine.

I was very happy with vanilla place - would stay there again for sure.

1 Thank muzzamo
UK
Reviewed 18 April 2011

A small and very clean hotel/guest house situated just a 5 minute stroll to the night market and 10-15 minutes from the old town. We had a room to the rear of the property, no window but very quiet. The room itself was spacious and very clean. Mr Kem and his wife Kat are very pleasant and take genuine pleasure in helping you. Mr Kem went out of his way to help organise flights to Laos for us and even managed to get a small discount off an already agreed lowest quote at a nearby agent. The staff were all friendly and polite. Free internet access on a public computer was very useful. Breakfast, self service and adequate.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple