“Really enjoyed my stay! Very close to Night Market”

Vanilla Place Guest House
Ranked #80 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I love the location, the night market is very close. Just across the street is the White Lotus bar & restaurant, great place to eat drink & meet expats. The Vanilla Place is a well kept older building, very charming, quiet & comfortable. The second floor has a nice lounge, great place to read a book, meet people or use the free internet. I highly recommend this place & I look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed for 4 nights, I'm glad I found this place.

After going through some of the review, we decide to dropped an email to VP. As mentioned by many people before, email was promptly replied and you will just need to pay (cash only) when you reach the guest house. For those who flying to Chiang Mai airport, buy a taxi coupon inside the airport (fixed price at 120 baht) to Chiang Mai town.

Value for Money: When you booked any day tour with Mr Kem, he will 100% pass the commission directly back to you. You can easily save 2k baht (assuming you booked 3 days day tour for 2 persons). He just help out to book the day tour, that is very kind of him.

Cleanliness: My first impression was pretty satisfied with the cleanliness. But I realized that the room cleaner did not/forget to empty the bin during my stay for 4 nights. But overall is allright.

Sleep Quality: A bit noisy if you staying the room next to street but again we are fine with this.

Location: Closer to daily night market (just around the corner). A very good massage center just 2 doors next to the guest house, very clean, fair price and professional, should give it a try. If you haven't plan your trip to Chiang Mai, I would recommend you to stay over Sunday night as the Sunday Night bazaar (walking street) are huge and amazing, better than what you can get it in Bangkok ( more like street shopping, colorful stalls, street music and etc)

Services: Excellent! Just ask Mr Kem or his wife Pat, you will get the answer/solution from them. You can hire a motorbike/scooter for sightseeing around the town or to other town at the price of 250 baht(24 hours). Tips for fueling, you just needs to fill max 80 baht fuel (approx 2 liters) for traveling around the town+tiger kingdom.

Breakfast: Very simple as this is just a guest house, no complain, totally understandable. If you are looking for 3-5 stars breakfast quality in this guest house, this is not the place. sorry ...

Bonus: "Happy" the resident dog! Wonderful dog, he will play/entertain everybody who close to him : )

I would highly recommend this Guest House to all budget traveler/backpacker. You won't get anymore lovely place like this in Chiang Mai. Thanks to Mr Kem once again for sharing his vision and view on how to run a guest house/hostel. Appreciate it. Wishing you and your guest house very best, and see you when I see you again. Cheers! i'm Goh from Penang.

Room Tip: Let Mr Kem know your special request in term of type of room, he will definitely sort it out for you...
3  Thank Goh C
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here two nights. The only place I have to compare it to in Chiang Mai is the Rachamanka Flora House, which I would say is a better value, only a slightly less convenient location.

Many of the other reviews praise the owners for being exceptionally helpful. if you're looking for someone to help you out and watch over you this may be the place for you. I can certainly say they were very friendly and it was clear they would have graciously helped us with anything we needed. We had our plans pretty much set though so we didn't really need anything.

As for the facilities themselves, we found them pretty lacking. The room was small, just larger than the bed itself. There was nothing to separate the floor of the shower from the rest of the bathroom, so everything on the bathroom floor gets pretty wet. The building is pretty old, things aren't terribly clean. And the breakfast is really Spartan.

The location is good though, pretty much where you want to be in Chiang Mai. And again, the owners are clearly great, so that may be a deciding factor if it's what you're looking for.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We spent 4 nights at the Vanilla Place. What a great experience!

The owners are EXTREMELY helpful! They went out of their way to insure we had everything we needed, helping us with options for food, shopping, directions, maps, bookings, etc. They were the most helpful people we encountered during our 2 months of travels across southeast Asia.

The location is just outside the downtown area which is actually great because its much more quiet.

The rooms were roomy & clean.

I would recommend this place to everyone visiting Chiang Mai. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I went for a backpacking + adventure honeymoon and had a good four days in Chiang Mai. After reading the reviews and understanding the location, we emailed our booking to Vanilla Place and was responded very promptly.

Vanilla Place is a simple and cozy family-run guesthouse in Chiang Mai, made more appealing due to the helpfulness and warmth of the owner, Mr Kem & wife and their dog, Happy, which is the cutest happiest dog ever.

Rooms are spotless clean, service is wonderful, breakfast simple but sufficient, beds are soft and cozy. The toilet is not really trendy but is super clean and everything like the hot shower etc works perfectly.

Location is good, maybe a little bit of walking to the night market and a bit further from the Sunday market. This however works well for us as we didn't want to stay at an area which is too rowdy or too near to the markets. Mr Kem was really helpful and gave us good useful tips on how to go about in Chiang Mai.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Very friendly owners and helpful staff. Place was very clean and the location is excellent. Two slight disappointments; the basic bread breakfast and my room was not locked after housekeeping one day (they were apologetic).

Room Tip: Standard room I was in was window-less
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Mosquitoes_love_me
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My husband and I wanted to stay closer to the city on our 3rd and 4th nights in Chaing Mai so we found Vanilla Place on TA - it was really a perfect fit for what we wanted:
Very close to night market and old city - you don't even need a tuk tuk, just walk

Mr. Kem was very helpful directing us towards parts of the cities and restaurants. His dog "Happy" is the cutest thing ever!

Hotel is clean with working A/C and continental breakfast is included.