Lock in the lowest price from these sites
ryanzred
Auckland
Helpful friendly and great service
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 8 Nov 2012via mobile
As soon as you walk through the doors at Vanilla you are greated by Mr Kem and his lovely wife and you know you have booked the right place. Rooms were clean and tidy and guesthouse is only a 5min walk to the night markets. Mr Kem goes above and beyond to make your stay in Chiang mai pleasent. We were heading up north and it was great how Mr Kem explained all our options that were available to us and helped us plan our trip !
Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip.com
    £40
2.6 miles from Vanilla Place Guest House
View more hotels in Chiang Mai
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Vanilla place is a great place to stay if you dont need all kinds of fancy amenities. The rooms are small but clean and have AC. Mr Kem is the most awesome owner ever and goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is comfortable. He is also a great asset to run prices across in case someone is trying to get over on you. The only reason i gave the rooms a 3 rating is because they dont have a safe in the room. If you want to be in the middle of Chiang Mai and need just the basics when it comes to lodging Vanilla place is the place for you. I was travelling with 7 others and we all had a great time here. If I'm ever in Chiang Mai again i will definitely be staying here again

Date of stay: October 2012
2  Thank Bice510
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This is truely a wonderful little guest house we will definitely return. We ended up going to Chiang Mai a day earlier as the trains weren't running properly due to flooding. Mr Kem stayed up late waiting for us to arrive and greeted us with a big smile.

The rooms are pretty basic, but clean and have everything you need. I would recommend a back room if possible as the road can be a little noisy.

The breakfast is lovely - i'm not a big fan of fry ups. As much toast and jam as you want and lots of exotic looking fruit to try and tea.

Mr Kem arranged all our trips for us and even a taxi up to a temple in the hills. I really cannot fault anything.

We will definitely return

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank 209HanS
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

Its taken a while to get around to this but here it goes

If I could give more for service I would. The location is great and the rooms comfy, bit like stayin at home. You don't pay more for the rooms it's for the way you're looked after, you won't find it anywhere else. I love chiang Mia and always meet great people there, mr and mrs kehm are more proof of this. Myself and my girlfriend stayed for 5 nights and couldn't have felt more at home. Mr kehm always says to arrange something with him as he will get it cheaper, this is very true, tuk tuks and taxis included. Anything that was needed was looked after straight away by mr kehm or his wife, suggested a very nice veggie restaurant which we went back to again.

But to top it off, I lost my bankcard on the second day. In a panic I said to mr kehm who rang police to inform him if it turned up. He also got me to get the ID and address of the bank machine. The next day when we left for a walk around the town, we arrived back and mr kehm had already rang the bank and organised for me to go and speak with the bank. Mr kehm shut the hostel and drive down to the bank with me, he came into the bank and spoke with employees in Thai for as long as it took, I gave my details and mr kehm waited till everything had been gone through. I left the bank and we went for dinner. By the time we got back mr kehm had received a call and tried to collect my card for me, he informed me of this and then dropped me down again. I couldn't speak more highly of mr kehm after just 5 days. This is just an example of what type of people run vanilla place, absolute diamonds. Also a reason I rate chiang Mia so highly, the people. So if you read this mr kehm, thanks again and we will be back from your little Irish brother.

Date of stay: July 2012
3  Thank Kennys16
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I would definitely recommend Vanilla Place to anyone who is looking for somewhere comfortable to stay with an amazing owner. Although the rooms are basic we did not see this as a problem as such little time was actually spent in the room- the bed was comfortable, air con and TV worked and bottled water was provided for free. What made Vanilla Place stand out for us on our holiday was Mr Kem and his family who made our time in Chang Mai. Nothing was too much trouble for Mr Kem as he organized trips for us- at a discounted price, flagged us down taxis, drew us maps of the best places to go and how to get there and came around ever morning with fresh local fruit. without Mr Kem i have no doubt we would have missed out on some of the amazing things that Chang Mai had to offer or would have been seriously ripped off booking them ourselves.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Chr155y
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I agree the hotel owner is great and makes the stay comfortable and pleasant, however this review is about the actual room. The room I had gotten was a standard basic, no windows in the room and a queen bed. The room is basic, the tv is not flat screen and not all the channels even work on the tv. The telephone in the room cannot dial out and need to go down to reception to dial out. The bathroom is horrible!! Absolutely disgusting. Mold everywhere, the rack where they place the shampoo bottles was rusted. Only 2 bath towels are given and even those look very worn out and old and aren't even white. Wear your flip-flops in the shower if going to stay here. Considering the hotel is only 5 years old, it's been worn down a lot. Either that or the cleaning staff need to do a better job and start using bleach.

Breakfast is included along with free wi-fi. Breakfast is basic. Toast, cookies, fruits and coffee.
They do have a dog downstairs, but are kind enough to take him away if you're afraid/allergic to it.

Kem was helpful with booking attractions and tours and a ride back to the airport, however when I wanted to goto Doi Suthep and Khantoke dinner he mentioned to me that getting a taxi back would be hard and I wouldn't find it. Relying on that information I booked via him and went to Doi Suthep for 500 bahts, when in reality I could've just taken a taxi back for 60 bahts/person from there. For the Khantoke dinner there are plenty of taxis around that area to come back to.

The location is great and in walking distance to Old Chiang Mai and the night markets, however I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone if you're looking to relax and stay in a clean, comfortable hotel. I'd spend a few more dollars and go somewhere else.

Date of stay: August 2012