“Simply the best. ”

Vanilla Place Guest House
Ranked #64 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Our experience with Vanilla Place was so much more than we expected! Mr. Kem is one of the sweetest men you will ever meet, and does everything he can to make your stay in Chiang Mai the best it can be. When he found out that I liked the guava served at breakfast, he made sure it was available for me everyday thereafter! He has great suggestions of where to eat (that are really very cheap), and will arrange for any kind of transportation you may need. Want a motorbike? With one phone call it was being dropped off at our door. Need to get to the airport? He'll take care of that. Want to go to the Thai Elephant Home? A driver will be there in the morning. He also gets many discounts on tickets for things, so don't book anything until you talk to him first!

The location of Vanilla Place was spectacular for us. It was about a ten minute walk to get to the nightly bazaar, which for us was close enough to go every night (best food is from the street vendors!), but far enough away so it's much quieter.

The rooms are simple, with everything we needed: a bed and a bathroom with a hot shower. Very secure. New towels daily. Air conditioning and a fan.

If you're lucky enough that Mr. Kem has availability during your Chiang Mai trip, book him now! The place is wonderful.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is conveniently located, clean, nicely updated, and a fantastic price. We stayed at several places in the area, and this was by far our favourite.

Having said this, the even greater value was meeting the owner, Mr. Kem, whose knowledge of the area is unsurpassed. Mr. Kem was an incredible asset in planning our experiences. He personally functioned as our tour guide. All his recommendations were exactly what we were looking for.

Make it easy on yourself, and visit Mr. Kem and the Vanilla Place.

My background: 30 year old male, traveling with wife. Wanted exposure to Thai culture, and moderate night life.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Wow, this lovely, very well located near the river and night bazaar, spacious boutique guest house is meticulously well kept and clean. A little bit more expensive than others, certainly not for the backpacker, but worth it for the following reason. The incredibly nice humble hardworking Mr Kem who works so hard to ensure every visitors stay in Chiang Mai is full of interesting things to do and see. He sits for hours explaining where and what attractions there are to see, and how to get there. He is a font of information on Chiang Mai whether it be shopping or sightseeing or bookshops or whatever. i wanted to look into becoming an English teacher so he arranged a meeting for me with someone already on that path. Nothing is too much trouble for him. Mr Kem embodies the best of Thai cultures welcoming attitude to guests and strangers, which IMHO is unparalleled throughout the world. I recommended to him to put all his information into a folder for people, to save himself time, but he said he just loves to do it. You might also get to meet the rest of his family and Happy the dog. I might also mention the great keycard entry system which allows you to come and go at any hour you please.If you get up at 6am you might see Mr Kem making his daily offering to the Buddhist monks too. Nothing but 5 stars here, except on price.

Room Tip: Front rooms with balcony and view over Charoenprathet road are a little more expensive
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My husband and I just returned from a beautiful trip to Thailand that included 3 days in Chiang Mai. We randomly chose this hotel from their website and reviews and must say we were not disappointed. We arrived late at night and both Mr. Kem and his wife were waiting for us! They made us feel like family. My husband's knee had swelled from the constant walking and humidity and they immediately brought ice and made sure we had ice throughout our stay. Our room was small but clean. It was conveniently located a few blocks away from the Anusarn Night Market and street shops. Mr. Kem has a great tuk tuk driver/friend that took us around at a very low cost. Mr. Kem would come to visit us during our morning breakfast (complimentary) and sit & just chat with us. Highly recommend Vanilla Place!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I never write reviews good or bad. This place deserves 6 stars. Mr Kem took care of everything; laundry, directions, taxis, scooter rental. This place is not a 5 star hotel. But the room is cleaned daily the location is great and the hospitality is out of this world. Stay here and you will not be disappointed!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

In light of all the gushing reviews, I will attempt to itemize the excellent service of Vanilla Place, so that readers have an idea what we are raving about.

Mr. Kem, his wife and cuddly dog Happy are the dynamic trio running Vanilla Place. During your stay you will primarily interact with Mr. Kem.

Vanilla Place is a quaint hotel that is a home away from home. This location is ideal for any down-to-earth, good nature and warm hearted traveler. If this is your first time to the Chiang Mai area and/or you wish you had someone to advise on the best Chiang Mai has to offer, then Vanilla Place is for you.

This is not a luxurious place, but an excellent place. Vanilla Place is a mutli-story facility was cozy basic rooms. There is not an elevator, but the staff will take your bags upstairs. The rooms offer an ensuite bathroom with a hot shower, a phone and a television. I mention the land-line, because some international call plans are cheaper with a land-line. The rooms along the front of the hotel have balconies. The common area includes a computer terminal, television with dvd player and light refreshments. There is a light complimentary breakfast perfect for starting the day.

As a guest at Vanilla Place you benefit from the hospitality and expertise of Mr. Kem. Mr. Kem knows the area well and will always recommend the most cost effective option without sacrificing quality. You may find a cheaper tour, but will probably not have the best experience. I avoid travel agents, but after the first recommendation from Mr. Kem, I kicked back and let him book all my tours and travel. I had a blast! Specifically, Mr. Kem arranged a scooter rental, a driver, the Chiang Rai/White Temple tour, Mahout Elephant/Bamboo raft tour and the bus transit to Bangkok. PLEASE tell Mr. Kem if anything he suggested or booked was not satisfactory. He wants to know, because running a top-notch B&B does not leave time to try out tours. Services and tours change over time.

I even had an accident while in Chiang Mai that was completely my fault. Mr. Kem generously assisted me with regrouping and making the most of my stay in Chiang Mai. This was my first trip to SE Asia. Mr. Kem assured that my trip started off beautifully. I was able to adjust to the local culture, which became invaluable after I left Vanilla Place.

Chiang Mai Tips:
1. Sunday over Night Market: The Sunday market is smaller, but offers a better selection. The sellers work both, but instead of wading through endless aisles for find the best product, they are all there on Sunday. The food is definitely better too!

2. Chiang Rai Tour Overrated: If you are pressed for time, skip the Chiang Rai tour. You spend 6 hours in the van and 2 hours touring. The sites are not that impressive. The Golden Triangle is a muddy river with a boat ride pointing out illegal casinos. The White Temple is not a real temple, but built by a rich guy with murals of Michael Jackson and Freddy Kreuger.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street have quite a bit of street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank CuriousTrvl
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I stayed at the Vanilla Place for only two nights and will look forward to staying there again when I go back hopefully in a few months.
Mr. Kem welcomed me with a warm smile, and with all his kindness of making sure I had all the information I needed to make my next few days perfect.
As a female traveling alone, you tend to be more skeptical about where you stay but this hotel was PERFECT! Great location, great price, very clean rooms and Mr. Kem who makes the difference.
He even made sure I had my breakfast before I left to catch my flight as it wasn't suppose to start before 7.
Thanks Mr. Kem, I look forward to seeing you one day soon