“if you ever go to Chaing Mai "MAKE SURE YOU STAY HERE !!!"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vanilla Place Guest House

Vanilla Place Guest House
Ranked #41 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
London
“if you ever go to Chaing Mai "MAKE SURE YOU STAY HERE !!!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

I found Vanilla Place whilst looking at reviews of Guesthouses on Trip adviser so I got in touch and Kem always seemed to respond nice and prompt with any questions I had etc. anyway he offered to pick me up from the airport for free so when I arrived I was looking for a Vanilla Place sign with my name on it .. I eventually found one with someone elses name on it and explained to the guy that I was also staying there and he then phoned Kem who said to me that he had already been to the airport for me and waited and that I hadnt shown so he had left, I explained to Kem that I had a printout of the emails I had sent with me and that I clearly stated the time...Kem then said that I was to get in a taxi and that he would pay the fair.....ready for humble pie..........when I arrived,I wasnt in a great mood so I had the copies of the email stating my arrival at 18:30 ready for him to see......sure enough Kem had a copy of the very last email I had sent (the one I had sent just yesterday and forgot I had sent it) saying Hi Kem just a reminder for you to pick me up at the airport tomorrow "my flight arrives at 16:30!!!!! MY FAULT..... crap, so there was me apologising and getting the money out for the taxi etc, but do you think he would take it ...NO ! and believe me I was trying my best to force it upon him !

from that point on, this guy could do nothing but help us, everyday he would arrange trips for me and they were cheaper than I could find anywhere (believe me I looked) I asked Kem how he managed to get the trips so cheap and he said that all he does is knocks off the commision he recieves just to help his guests ! this means he earns not a single penney from any trip or cookery course etc (I challenge anyone to find better prices than he will get you for trips)

the rooms were very clean and exaclty what you need

I have heard a few ppl critisice the breakfast but it is Nescafe coffee on offer and fresh bread with a toaster and fresh juice and water etc (simple but fresh and quick and all you need)

lastly to show my gratitude, I was very subtle in asking Kem what he drank etc and what is the best beer in Thailand (I found that he prefers Singha but its so expensive that he drinks Leo) so I went out and got him a case of big bottles of Singha and a bunch of flowers for his equally lovely wife.

Lovely couple and a lovely holiday

Thanks Kem and Cath

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
bkk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

I went to ChiangMai with my family. We went there often but this is the first time stayed @Vanilla Place. I got the suggestion from one of my friend that usually use the tripadvisor. Must said that this place is very simply and lovely like staying home. The owner is very kind. He always caring and asking what you want to do or need to go even though you not booking with them. He just want to make sure that everything have been arange and go on with your plan. Room is clean and small decorrate in lanna style but so sorry that they are fully booked on that period so we got the small room without window. Well, the breakfast is quite simple, coffee and toast. Anyway, its enough for me.

On the Songkran day, he provide all the water equipment and all the thing for us to play infront of the guesthouse. Me and some other guests have walked along the street and play the water which lead by Kem'daughter. She took us to play water at Ta Pae which is very crowded and fun. People are very nice.

If you compare this place to a regular guesthouse, you will find that no other will service you like this. This place is easier and almost have everything that you will need ,compare to 4star hotel, I think its valuable. Mr. Kem and his wife always have a warm welcome and make sure that you will satisfy your trip during your stayed.

I wish they will success on their business and confirm to go back there again :D

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

First impressions were not as good as other more 'characteristic' hotels so definitely shop around for better value.
The breakfast was and room quality was rather poor, so look into other hotels for a better experience.
The managing couple are wonderful hosts - very accommodating -but only offer 'premium' tours, again other guest houses have more of a range so don't settle here...

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

Once we read previous reviews on Vanilla Place, there was no other options where we would stay during the Chiang Mai portion of our honeymoon... we were looking forward to meeting Kem and Cat who were even better than we expected. They aren't in this for the money, and they made us feel super special, even giving us a wee present for our honeymoon when we checked in! The location is superb, and the guest house itself you could not fault. A highlight of our day was coming back to the hotel to tell them about our adventures and hear their recommendations on what else there was to do. We still miss them and wish them all the very best, they are beautiful people and do a great job and made us feel so special. Thank you so much Kem and Cat, we hope to see you again one day!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Hoddesdon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

My husband and I have recently got back from a trip around Thailand and Vietnam and I can say this was by far the best place we stayed in, it was absolutely fantastic! Kem and Kat (the owners) were so warm and welcoming, they really made our trip. Kem kindly picked us up from the train station in the morning and Kat was there to welcome us on arrival, offering us some breakfast. The room was very nicely decorated, clean and spacious with a balcony overlooking the town. Kem and Kat were extremely helpful when recommending things to see and do. We had already booked our trips before we arrived in Chiang Mai, but I would recommend booking any trips through Kem. The hotel is just a 2 minute walk from the Night Bazaar, which is full of clothes, jewellery, home accessories, gadgets ..etc. This is a great place to pick up some interesting bargains! A short walk across the river from the hotel are some great restaurants. Kem and Kat really make this hotel a wonderful place to stay and I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

This is the first time i used tripadvisor to research for my accommodation, and boy what a find. Read good reviews of this place and decided to try it out and my decision was spot on, this place is really a friendly option that met all my criteria of being close to city center [5min walk to kalare night bazaar] , clean, and value for money.

With regards to my hosts khun Kem and family, they extended warmth and comfort as one would do to their friends when they visit you and i never felt i was staying in a commercial establishment but rather got the feeling of being with close family friends.

To start with Khun Kem was kind enough to personally come over to train station to pick me in his personal vehicle [he was kind enough to drop me as well], this was a gesture well appreciated.

next he spent sometime understanding my plans and gave some valuable advise on places to see, how to travel economically using local public transport , places to eat gr8 food [his suggestion to try food at huen phen near wat prasing was a gem of a tip, gr8 food and gr8 value for money], and tips on what to buy. Every evening he would take feedback and accordingly provide more tips for next day.

All in all a gr8 satisfying trip which lasted 3 days and 2 nights.

I would surely consider Khun Kem's property as my first choice for stay for my next trip to chiang mai [whenever that happens].

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank JagdishGorti
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

We stayed in Vanilla Place two nights and we were impressed by how friendly and helpful Kem and Kat were. We were collected from the train station despite the train being late by two and half hours and they tried to do everything possible to make us feel at home.The guesthouse is clean and central, two minutes from the night bazaar.
We would definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple