“YOU MUST STAY HERE! Great place”

Vanilla Place Guest House
Ranked #89 of 402 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 27 July 2009

This was a phenomenal place--i stayed at many much more expensive places throughout SE Asia but this was one of my favorite. The rooms were incredibly clean and nice, but most important was the host, Mr. Kem. At the beginning we had a little dispute in which I thought we got ripped off for some bike rentals, and Mr. Kem felt so bad that I was upset that he offered to pay out of pocket for the problem (i turned him down of course and you BETTER not abuse him for this kindness). Thanks so much--it was a great stay. Also make sure to go to a cooking class--Bann Thai was a great one. And go on a 2 day trek, not 3 day. And the long neck village is horrible--a scam (but not Vanilla Place's fault)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank whought

Reviewed 23 July 2009

The hotel/guesthouse is modest in size and facilities but what the people do to make your stay enjoyable is outstanding. They take a genuine interest in ensuring your stay in Chiang Mai is the best it can be. They helped make our holiday really special. It somehow became "normal" to expect the host to walk down to the street level to negotiate the cab fare for us and then turn to me to say the price - which was far below what I could have secured.

The rooms were spartan but very clean and quite adequate. The way the hosts ensured my two daughters were happy (another cup of juice or hot chocolate?) made us feel like we were staying at our favorite aunt and uncle's home.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I have never written a review online before, but loved the Vanilla Place Guest House so much, I just had to. I recently returned from a vacation around Thailand with my husband. Our time in Chiang Mai, which included two nights at the Vanilla Place, was the highlight of our trip. We are both active 29 year-olds, and Vanilla Place is in the center of it all, but not noisy at night. Bars, restaurants, night market, etc. are all a short walk away. We rented a scooter (with the help of Mr. Kem) and drove up into the mountains to explore temples, gardens, etc. Mr. Kem and his wife went out of their way to make us feel at home. We started each day with their complimentary toast, coffee, and mango sticky rice. The rooms are super clean, and comfortable. If you are looking for a large, five star resort with swimming pools and spas, this isn't for you. However, if you are looking for a clean, stylish room in a nice guest house, perfectly situated for exploring Chiang Mai, check out the Vanilla Place. For the price and the personal touch, you just can't beat it. I only wish we had more time there ...

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tammarnell
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I had to make last minute reservations for a place in Chiang Mai and found Vanilla Place was highly recommended on TripAdvisor so I e-mailed and reserved rooms for my friends and I. Since it was the "off-season" they had available rooms (at cheap rates) and from the time we were picked up at the airport until we left the hotel Kem and his wife helped us with everything we needed. Our "standard" rooms had no windows, and the beds were harder than we were used to, but the cleanliness was incredible. The complimentary breakfast was also greatly appreciated and the wireless worked flawlessly. We greatly enjoyed our stay and especially the hospitality of the place.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2009

The owner couple is super friendly and will go out of their way to help you with anything, regardsless it being food, travel plans elsewhere, finding a tuktuk to the busstation or whatever. The rooms are clean and all in all this place is a excellent value for money.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We stayed four days at vanilla place and have only positive things to say about the place and the owners Kem and Kat. Mr. Kem picked us up from the airport free of charge. They made us feel like home and they were willing to help with anything. Their recommendation of trips were excellent and the same was the price:) very cheap. We had a really nice stay at the vanilla place

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My friends and I just returned from a trip to Thailand and Vanilla Place was an awesome spot to stay in Chiang Mai. We were told about this "wonderful guest house" from a friend, so we made reservations prior to our arrival and Kem and his wife (the owners) immediately made us feel at home. They picked us up from the airport (no charge), gave us tons of maps and information on where to go and what to see, and the rooms were the cleanest we saw throughout the entire vacation. I highly recommend this spot to fellow travelers that want to be within walking distance to the Night Bazaar, The Old City, and to the river. Vanilla Place exceeded my expectations and I will definitely stay there again when I go back to that beautiful country.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends