“Fantastic hosts, very comfortable guesthouse”

Vanilla Place Guest House
Ranked #48 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Chicago, IL
“Fantastic hosts, very comfortable guesthouse”
Reviewed 15 December 2009

We spent 5 days with Kem and Kat, a wonderful, accommodating couple of hosts! We checked in very early on the first day, and Kem had breakfast waiting for us, then arranged for a motorbike rental and spent time with us planning our days in Chiang Mai. Their assistant, Eve, was also very kind and helpful. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, quiet and a quick walk/ride to the city center. We would go back in a heartbeat.

One note -- we arranged a driver when we arrived at Vanilla Place for a day of sightseeing. Kem got us a good price, and the driver was ours all day for the flat rate. His name is Yai, he is a very sweet man, a fine driver and has a comfortable air-con sedan. But his English is not great. So, if you need a driver to take you from site to site, Yai would be just fine; but he is not really much of a "guide" because of the language barrier.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank blumo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 14 December 2009

I stayed here when I was traveling alone and the owners were so extremely friendly and helfpful they were able to organize a day full of things to do for me with in minutes and they were so nice. every morning when I would come downstairs they would be very friendly. very close to the night market and sunday market very good location very awesome people very clean place totally worth staying at!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 14 December 2009

I stayed here for five days after a recommendation independent of Trip Advisor and was compelled to leave my first ever review on Trip Advisor.

The hotel itself is fairly basic, but the rooms are very clean, have air con, bathroom, fridge and TV. There is also a large communal area with free internet. Rooms can be a bit of a lottery as those at the front can be noisy due to the tuk tuks racing past at all hours and those at the back don't all have windows. Ours didn't which was a bit odd, but it was very quiet and the air con kept us cool.

The real beauty of Vanilla Place is the owner, Kem. He is always happy to help and organised a number of really decent activities around Chiang Mai for me and my girlfriend. It was great to have a reliable local person to speak to, so we knew we weren't getting ripped off or wasting our time with dodgy contacts. We also felt really safe leaving our stuff there all day. At the end of our stay he waved us off to the airport at 6.30 in the morning, it was like saying goodbye to a well liked Uncle or something!

If you are staying in Chiang Mai for more than a night or so, I'd strongly recommend Vanilla Place.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Sotogrande
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Stayed here for a few days given the excellent reviews on tripadvisor. I would definitely agree that the staff were very helpful and it was a real treat having locals who were able to speak really good english and keen to help.

The only negatives I would point out are:
1) room was very basic and bed was hard - poor value given the price paid
2) the recommended tours were a lot more expensive than those found in town, we managed to book a tour 40% cheaper than that quoted by the hotel which was excellent.
3) the wifi signal was not sufficiently strong to use in the room if you were staying on the 4th floor or above

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Monica_travels
Bangkok
Reviewed 7 December 2009

As a Thai, I am so proud that all of them at Vanilla Place present very well how Thai hospitalities should be to friends from other countries. The place is also lovely and convenient.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
Leeds
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Me and my partner had 3 nights here in October and we really couldn't recommend this place highly enough. From before we even set foot through the door to when we said our goodbyes three days later, we were bowled over by the owners' kindness, helpfulness and wonderful natures.

Firstly they arranged for someone to meet us off the plane and take us to their guesthouse, they then proceeded to recommend to us (and help organise) the best places to visit in the time we had, scooters to get ourselves around, the best local restaurants, night bazaars, thai massages. You name it, they saw to it that we would have the most stress-free and rewarding time during our short stay in Chiang Mai. A couple like this don't come along often, and this is the first time I've ever felt compelled to write a review to recommend a place to others, but with Vanilla Place I honestly couldn't recommend it highly enough!

In short, if you're looking for a clean, peaceful, relaxed stay in a place run by extremely thoughtful, kind and helpful people then look no further than here. It's as simple as that!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 26 November 2009

I stayed at Vanilla Place Guest house for about 6 days in November of 2009. I came with my bicycle and did many rides both in Chiang Mai and the surrounding area. The owners were very helpful. They allowed me to park my bike inside and even helped me to assemble and disassemble it. Kem also helped me to plan my biking routes. The rooms were clean, the common room was pleasant and all staff members were very friendly. Some rooms do not have windows so if that is important to you, be sure to specify that when you make your reservation. The rooms all had good bathrooms and air conditioning. If you are interested in the Night Market, Vanilla Place is an excellent choice as it is just steps away. There are good restaurants right nearby and the owners will help to arrange transportation to other attractions. As for me, the kindness and concern of Kem and Kat made my stay at Vanilla Place something special . When I return to Chiang Mai, I will be staying at Vanilla Place Guesthouse.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo