“Wonderful Stay in a superb hotel”

Le Meridien Chiang Mai
Ranked #21 of 379 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful Stay in a superb hotel”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Was late for check in after a night flight with my family. The queue was long with a tour group from Taiwan. Waiting for nearly 15 minutes before our turn to check in, despite the group were still distributing their keys.

The assistant manager from front desk saw us and immediately helped us the check in, unfortunately the hotel was full with that tour group for our rooms. Without hesitation, he upgraded my family to suite rooms! What a good start for our revisit trip to Chiang Mai since 23 years ago. Thank you so much, Le Meridien!

The suite rooms are amazing big, which are situated at the four corners of each floor. Each suite room consist of a separate shower room, toilet cubicle, walk in wardrobe plus a squarish bathtub facing the city or the mountain. With comfy king size bed and 2 large LCD TVs facing the room and living hall, plus full amenities available such as espresso machine, 4 complimentary bottles of water, what can you ask for after a tiring flight from our work place in Singapore directly to this luxury hotel in Chiang Mai?

The gym and swimming pool, though a little cold even in a hot summer in April, the view towards the mountain is something to die for. I was fully mesmerised by the view each time I used the pool and the gym, and recharged quickly from the hectic itinerary in Chiang Mai over the weekend. Please, do use the pool if you have the time!

And the location, it is simply centralised and convenient with starbuck, burger king, macdonald around, not to forget the night market right at the doorstep of the hotel. Everywhere seemed to be so convenient. The building is prominent so you will not get lost even you are slightly away from the corner of Chiang Mai and you can find the direction back to the hotel easily.

The breakfast was one of the best breakfast I would say I have in Thailand, yes Thailand. Hot american, continental, and 5 types of juices to choose from, it helps us to recharge our energy every morning. Good choice and wide varieties, and service is good with a smile always.

Though you need to pay for the internet in the room, but I am sure you can use it at the lobby for an hour when you collect the password slip from the concierge team. Except for one thing, the hotel will turn off their aircon at late night after midnight, so it will be a little warm when you intend to use it at that wee hour. Notice there are mosquitos flying into the lobby, gotten a few bites on my skin but that is not a problem to me.

I have recommended this hotel to my friends and I am sure I will return again. This is definitely my choice when I revisit for sure!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Happily stayed quite a few times on business trips. The facilities are fantastic, rooms immaculate, gym well equipped, Latest Recipe meals delicious and Favola is one of the best Italian meals I've had outside of Italia. Highly recommended hotel

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Steven S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We stayed at this hotel during our honeymoon in Thailand, and my husband knows that staying at this hotel was my favorite part of this trip. This hotel thought of everything from beginning to end. The most friendly (genuinely) and helpful staff I have ever seen at a hotel. We ate at the Favola restaurant in the hotel and it was great. We also had the dinner buffet one night and it was also great, not to mention the restaurant is beautiful. In fact, this entire hotel is absolutely gorgeous! Our room had a huge, breathtaking view of the mountains, and the decor and attention to detail in the room was impressive. I travel a lot, and have stayed at many hotels, so I am not lying when I say that the bed at Le Meridien was the most comfortable bed I had ever slept on in my entire life. My husband thought the same and we both slept like babies the whole time we were there. The location is also amazing, with probably a 1 - 2 min walking distance from the main road that has the night bazaar, McDonald's, Burger King, and Starbucks. Also, the price for that we paid for this type of hotel was unbeatable. I would stay here every time I went to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank iluvnj3
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Big hotel, 'round the corner from the main street and night (and day) markets.
American fast food joints close if you have a craving (but I don't know why-you're in Thailand!)
ATM right across the street ( a little hidden and small).
Big lobby, great, BIG breakfast, nice room.
Lots of US military staying when I stayed.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank kitchenchemist
bangkok
Reviewed 3 June 2011

This hotel close to shopping area , room and facilities very good.
Breakfast was good. Internet and wi-fi not free.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chokdeebangkok
mumbai, india
Reviewed 3 June 2011

I stayed with my family at the Le Meridien Chiang Mai for 3 nights in June 2011, the Hotel is located near the night market, the hotel is very nice, great rooms good italian restaurant, very good location as there is nothing other than adventure sports to do in chiang mai. Everyone who goes here will be quite satisfied

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank nixongupta
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed here a couple of years ago and were saddened to see, upon our return, how the place had lost much of what made it special. We are SPG Platinums.

The pros: Great location, right across the street from the night markets and a 10 minutes walk from the central markets. The staff is friendly and helpful. Nicely appointed suites with over sized soaking tubs and excellent views. The Club lounge serves afternoon tea and evening cocktail hour.

The cons: The hotel lost it’s former chef and hotel manager (not the GM),, apparently to it’s detriment, and there has also been a lot of turn over in the staff…. resulting in relatively unpolished staffing.

The hotel (possibly due to over all economic conditions in Thailand) has turned to taking in large bussed tour groups, to the point of sign boards in the lobby stating the days tour activities (AKA cruise ship fashion) and suggested local (western and Japanese style) restaurants.

Hotels that take in large bussed tour groups suffer the inevitable demoralization of the staff, loss of service, and a decline in the quality of the food service. The staff was noticeably less polished than on our previous visit, and although friendly, were less able (either through training or desire) to handle simple off book questions or requests.

Although taking in these tours groups is, no doubt, good for the bottom line, it is at detriment of the regular guests who are hoping for a less generic experience.

The Club Lounge no longer serves breakfast and is, in fact, locked until 9:00 AM . This is a considerable problem for the new generation of ipad folks because there no wifi in the rooms & it is only available in the main lobby or the Lounge….and in the lounge you need to get a new wifi code every hour - LOL

Service at breakfast, in the main restaurant has declined somewhat, but this appears due to a lack of training and not because of the staff who continue to be very friendly.

However, food quality at breakfast has noticeably declined. None of the “hot” food in the steam tables was ever hotter than “lukewarm”. The quality of the soups has declined from “good” to “OK-to-poor”. The smoked salmon was hidden behind the counter (like on a cruise ship – which is what this buffet has become). The omelet station was as good as ever, although, again staffing, the gal did not understand the difference between “boiled” eggs and “poached” eggs.

Apparently the GM dines here every morning and is satisfied with this trade off between lessened food quality and improved bottom line numbers. Sad.

We will probably not stay here next time we are in Chaing Mai, in spite of our Platinum status.

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the mountain