“Best Five Star Hotel in Chiangmai” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Meridien Chiang Mai

Le Meridien Chiang Mai
Ranked #21 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Best Five Star Hotel in Chiangmai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed at Le Meridian Chiangmai during the annual meeting of TTM agents. The hotel is very new and having great facilities. Big and comfortable room and bed. The bathroom is also very big and stylish. The location is also great. the Night Bazaar Chiangmai, which is very convenient to go shopping and take a good walk to look around downtown Chiangmai.

Breakfast at Favola is great. The services is outstanding.

Different from most hotel in Chiangmai, this hotel parking lot is at the underground floors. It is big and having enough space. And, I like it that way because my car will away from heat and Chiangmai's strong sunshine.

Room Tip: Request for High Floor
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank akepunlop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

What a great experience.... location is walking distance to Night Bazaar shopping, great places to eat, get a massage, and launch pad for any adventures you want to have in Chiang Mai. Pool and gym is excellent. Free Wifi in the lobby and 15 min free in your room via Cat5 cable connection. Once the 15 min expires just log out and then back in for another 15 min. So basically free interent everywhere. We stayed in the hotel for the Songkran Festival and the Prime Minister of Thailand was on our floor. We had two armed military police at the elevator at the 20th floor 24/7. They were very nice and I got to see the PM leave the hotel several times. She is very beautiful and very graceful. Chiang Mai is a great stop in Thailand and this Hotel is the place to stay. I'm a tough critic and I was wowed by Le Meridien and Chaing Mai.

Room Tip: Get a high floor great views from your room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Boulder480
Ajijic, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

This hotel is predictable - I've never yet stayed in a bad Le Meridien and this is no exception. Very comfortable room, nice decor, well appointed and comfortable bedding. The location of the hotel is superb - if you like shopping - as you are smack bang in the middle of the night market area! Some very nice upmarket stores such as Villa Cini (for silk household items) and a fabulous shop selling cotton and silk nightgowns which are superb. I paid only $THB2900 for a gorgeous white silk creation..just lovely to sleep in.

The pool area is compact but very pleasant. However the pool water if f-f-f-f-freezing so only one toe went in!

Favola - the hotel's Italian restaurant is superb. Both food and service were outstanding and it was reasonable value by my home country standards, albeit expensive for Thailand.

So why wouldnt I return???? The airconditioning!!! It was the noisiest airconditioning I have ever encountered in any hotel anywhere. There was no difference in the noise level if it was on the highest or lowest setting. Temperature settings were pretty much the same too - freezing. I could not sleep with it on but you cant really sleep without it as the room quickly becomes stifling. In the end, I raided an airline amenity bag I had and found some ear plugs which helped - a bit. I dont like sleeping with ear plugs so it was three pretty sleepless nights for me. I had intended to extend my stay in Chiang Mai but ended up going to another hotel as I couldnt cope with the thought of the airconditioning for another three days..it was absolute torture. This is why I have rated the room as average only.

The Club was very nice with excellent service, food and lovely views of Doi Suthep.

A jarring note was I really dont think the bell staff are on the guest's side when it comes to getting taxis and advising a fare. I was charged more for a taxi to Central Plaza ($THB150) than I had paid to come from the airport ($THB120) and the shopping centre is slightly less distance than the airport. When I checked out, they tried to get me to pay $THB200 for a taxi fare to my next hotel which was less than 5 minute's walk away (and had I not had luggage, I would have walked!). When I objected, they redeemed themselves by calling my next hotel (without me asking) who sent a car to get me. So be aware of this...

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor. I think the view of Doi Suthep is lovely although perhaps you may prefe...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SmartTraveller
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Wow. What a great hotel. A little bit of luxury in a fantastic city.

We loved this hotel and can't recommend it enough. The location is perfect, right outside the night market / bazaar. Perfect to nip out for some food and souvenirs then home again to your hotel in a jiffy.

We stayed here for four nights, and fell in love with Chiang Mai.

Room - large. Comfortable, clean, great view out the front of the night market and then the hills further in the distance. Housekeeping always did a great job of cleaning the room, and the hotel was quiet despite being in a busy part f the town. The only minor problem we had was when we first arrived and were taken to our room we instantly smelt that it was a smoking room, and we are not smokers. Althought we didnt request a non smoking room (didn't think you had to do that nowadays, I thought all hotels were non smoking), the bell boy asked if we were happy with our room, and we said we couldn't stay in a smoking room. He asked us to wait five minutes. He was back in 3 with keys to a new room on a non smoking floor. Our bags were taken for us and the hotel were massively apologetic, which they didn't need to be really because we never booked a non smoking room.

The breakfast which we had included with the room rate, was AMAZING!!!! Wow. So much to choose from, in a very elegant dining room. The wait staff were great, and plates were cleared immediately. A huge amount of food was on offer, and all very fresh and tasty.

We spent a late afternoon just before we were due to set off to Koh Samui by the pool (there is so much to do in Chiang Mai, I'd be surprised if you wanted to spend your visit but the pool). The pool is small but perfectly formed. It's a city hotel so don't expect loads of sun loungers and huge pools.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the night market, higher up the better
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emsibelle82
Central Valley, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I found the Le Meridien to be an excellent choice for my stay in Chiang Mai. The hotel is ideally located in the center of the night market, many and varied nearby restaurants, close to entertainment, and easy walking distance to the old city. The staff was suberb in hospitality and genuine concern for their guests. The Club Room's staff were exceptional and amoung the very best I have ever encountered.The property is well maintained and stands out in the area. The rooms were more than adequate and sparkling clean. In total this was a wonderful hotel experience.

Room Tip: The club level is worth the extra cost. The higher floors provide for an awsome view!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank calflyer80
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I am a huge fan of the Starwood Preferred Guests program, but had never stayed at Le Meridien before (usually stay at Westin or W). I was pleasantly surprised with the Le Meridien properties in Thailand, and was not expecting the Le Meridien in Chiang Mai to be such an upscale, modern property.

The hotel lobby is beautiful (although too many mosquitos everywhere). We also enjoyed drinking and eating at the Latitude Bar in the lobby. In addition, we received free breakfast every morning at Latest Recipe Restaurant and it had a large variety of both Western and Thai cuisines.

The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating.

As an SPG member, I should have been able to get an upgrade. The staff told me that there were no upgrades available, but after probing a bit, they were able to tell me that we could upgrade to an executive suite on a smoking floor. Although I am not a smoker, this posed no problem. The suite had no smoke odor, and it was absolutely beautiful. We were on a high floor, and had air conditioning, 2 flat screen tvs, a living/sitting area, and a huge bedroom with another sitting area. The bathroom was also extremely modering, featuring a 2-person sized bathtub, a rain shower, and a walk in closet. Rather impressive.

We also had access to the executive lounge, which had free snacks and cocktails in the evenings (20th floor - great views).

Highly recommended, and also in a great location right next to the Night Market.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Upon entering the hotel your welcomed by door staff and grand crystal lighting.
The hotel is cool calm and relaxed with a white marble interior, professional staff with good english.
Underground parking available, and this hotel is central to EVERYTHING.
Pool area is incredible with views of the Doi Suthep Mountain, rooms are beautiful and modern with clean carpet and very comfortable beds.
A shower with good water pressure and deep wide baths.
Bar prices are very much indicative of a 5 star hotel, and hotel menu is very expensive. Bars across the road are extremly cheap and a great place for american sized meals and western food is DUKES bar and GRILL! best ribs ive ever had!
Additional Tips: If your heading outside to the street markets dont spend anything more than 100THB for a t shirt they only cost 50THB retail to Thai locals.
The market vendors will try rip you off 500THB for a shirt BE prepared to walk away they will drop their prices even if you pay 150THB your doing well same with shorts aswell... MAX id pay for shorts 200THB.
WATCHES they only cost 99THB at the REAL local markets they will try rip you off more than 1500THB one just outside this hotel. Only pay 150THB for watches to avoid being ripped off.

Room Tip: A room facing the Doi Suthep Moutain any floor is a good choice as most rooms start high off the mai...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo