“Perfect accomodation and service at The Castle”
Review of The Castle

The Castle
Ranked #73 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2013

First of all; The staff was very friendly and helpfull to us and above all; they speak English very well. The rooms are maybe a little bit small but comfortable, nicely furnitured and very very clean. The atmosphere of this building is very romantic and special. Wireless internet was fast and reliable, two computers available for free use as well. Also the breakfast is delicous while the price of this B&B is very good compared to other places we have visit. The location of The Castle is great, in walking distance to the old town and night markets. We stayed in Thailand for almost 4 weeks on 8 locations and The Castle is our most favourite place to stay. We would recommend this place to everyone who wants to visit Chiang Mai. We like to say thank you to Pearl and her team for their support and high service level. We definitly come back to The Castle when we visit Chiang Mai again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bonny1971

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Castle is an amazing place to stay in Chiang Mai. The rooms were beautiful and perfectly sized for our week stay at The Castle. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast served at The Castle, choosing the delicious French Toast and Waffles on many occasions. The pool was small, but perfect for dipping into after a hot day of walking around Chiang Mai. Pearl, the owner of The Castle gave outstanding care and advice during our stay, was friendly, spoke excellent English and even took me to the hospital in Chiang Mai when I fell ill on my last day. I would recommend this hotel without doubt to anyone visiting Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aims2011
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The Castle is about two blocks from the south moat of Old Town Chiang Mai which makes it a fairly easy walk to anywhere though the neighborhood itself is not where one would likely eat or drink. The rooms and clean, the TV, DVD, and wifi work well. The pool, as noted in other reviews, is really the size of a large hot tub but at least one can cool off in it. I would probably spring for the superior room so you have a couple of chairs on the balcony but absent that the pool deck area is a fine place to read. I would recommend this place for people who want to be able to walk around town but don't want the cacophony of horns and backpackers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JChaseJohnson
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Recently stayed here with our kids in one of the family rooms. They were very clean with good standard facilities. Breakfast each day was freshly cooked to order and very tasty (they need to drain their poached eggs though - too watery). The pool is tiny and no more than 4 people can get in at any one time. The staff are exceedingly helpful and we took their advice on an elephant trek and had an amazing day. The location is good, not too far from the main attractions but in a nice quiet place. Had our washing done at the place just outside and that was cheap, fast and well done. My main gripe was the beds, they were the hardest I have ever slept in and very uncomfortable, my hips and back were sore each morning from them - ouch! Fix this and I would give this place an excellent rating.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KatB65
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had a lovely week's stay at The Castle. It is a small hotel, older but very clean and comfortable. The manager, Pearl, is literally a gem as she answers emails quickly and helps with all arrangements. Once on site she helped set up tours, find restaurants, order taxis and guided on laundry etc. We really appreciated her help. The pool is small but fine for a couple of kids or adults, an honor drink's bar is nice, and the breakfast was much nicer than the 5star we stayed at in Bangkok en route. The hotel is located on a quiet street about 5 minute walk to the main road. This is a positive in some ways but also note there are limited restaurants or shops in the immediate location. Not too much a problem as taxis are cheap and readily available though. My children (4 ranging from 23 to 7) all enjoyed this place too.

Room Tip: If you want quiet then get the higher up rooms away from pool
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kate G
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I planned to stay 4 nights at The Castle, but ended staying a week due to its great location and friendliness of staff. Pearl, the owner, was very welcoming and booked everything from taxis to tours and cookery classes. She was very honest when helping me to decide on which tour company to go with, for example the low budget good ones etc. She recommended Asia Scenic cookery school and it was fantastic.

My room was in good condition and cleaned daily. When I arrived they upgraded me to a bigger room, I did not complain. The breakfast was delicious and included in the price. You chose your breakfast the day before and there would be a few options, for example, American style breakfast, omelet etc. This always included tea, fruit juice and mango or passion fruit.

The location was good. 10 minute walk from the Saturday market and 15-20 minute walk from the night bazaar area. There were no noise disturbances as it was located in a very quiet area away from the main road that surrounds the old city. I used the pool a few times just to cool off in the evenings.

If you are looking to meet people I would not recommend this place. Ideally it is for couples, families or like myself solo travellers looking for a quiet place to stay. It was very quiet when I stayed, however this did not bother me as I met people on tours etc.

Overall, I very much enjoyed my stay at The Castle and will definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Emily M
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Our family stayed here in April 2013. This is a great small Hotel, just out side of the south east corner of the old city. We had the family room and a double room. Pearl and her staff are great and very helpful. The pool may not be large, but I never heard my kids complain until I asked them to get out. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family