“Welcoming and quiet”
Review of The Castle

The Castle
Ranked #78 of 805 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2013

If you take the overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai you might arrive late, so don't plan anything for that morning. We were supposed to get in at 8:30 and we pulled in sometime after 11am. When you exit the train station there will be a bunch of people standing around trying to get you into their Songthaew (pick up truck where you sit on covered bench seats in the back). This is your only option unless you arranged transportation with the hotel. I had emailed Pearl and asked her about how much I should expect to pay and that was helpful since the Songthaew guys were trying to charge more.

The hotel itself is lovely and Pearl and her staff are very nice and friendly. The breakfasts are super yummy, I especially enjoyed the French Toast. The deluxe room was clean and nice, my only compliant was that I found the bed to be hard - but that is how I found most beds all over Thailand. My boyfriend thought it was fine. We felt safe here and had no problem walking around at night. If you're looking for a place that is action packed and right in the center of everything, this is not it. We appreciated the quiet and that it was a little removed from the main area.

Tips:
It's about a 15 minute walk to the main area, but there are some food places less than 5 minutes away. We'd recommend walking to the moat area for dinner (I think by the South gate?). It was one of the top 3 favorite memories of our trip.

Get massages in Chiang Mai. They are the cheapest in all of Thailand (at least from what we saw). If you're craving Western food, there's plenty. We had burritos with cheese imported from Wisconsin! Also, if you want to purchase Celedon pottery you don't have to go out to the factory. Siam Celedon operates a tea shop in the main area. Raming Tea House. It's really cool and worth a stop for a cold beverage. The Celedon prices here were the best we found. They were 10x in Bangkok.

Apparently the ice with holes in it means that it is filtered and safe to drink.

We liked Chang beer the best.

Definitely take a cooking class. We did Siam Rice and it was great. Eat a light breakfast!!

We highly recommend Thai Elephant Home. They treat their elephants very well and emphasize conservation. You get your own elephant and you ride bareback. Quite the experience!

We also highly recommend being in Chiang Mai on a Sunday so you can visit the Sunday Night Market. It is the best market we found. It's mostly all local and handmade items with tons of good food.

If you take a day trip to the Golden Triangle and you do the boat trip with the stop at "Laos" be prepared for counterfeit purses as far as the eye can see. You can bargain with them and I regret not buying a bag. You only have 30 minutes, so be prepared. I put Laos in quotation marks since even though you set foot on the land of Laos, there is nothing to see but shopping.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms were great. Pearl is prompt in answering emails, so book directly through the hotel...
6  Thank Journeyer83

Reviewed 18 August 2013

First of all; The staff was very friendly and helpfull to us and above all; they speak English very well. The rooms are maybe a little bit small but comfortable, nicely furnitured and very very clean. The atmosphere of this building is very romantic and special. Wireless internet was fast and reliable, two computers available for free use as well. Also the breakfast is delicous while the price of this B&B is very good compared to other places we have visit. The location of The Castle is great, in walking distance to the old town and night markets. We stayed in Thailand for almost 4 weeks on 8 locations and The Castle is our most favourite place to stay. We would recommend this place to everyone who wants to visit Chiang Mai. We like to say thank you to Pearl and her team for their support and high service level. We definitly come back to The Castle when we visit Chiang Mai again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bonny1971
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Castle is an amazing place to stay in Chiang Mai. The rooms were beautiful and perfectly sized for our week stay at The Castle. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast served at The Castle, choosing the delicious French Toast and Waffles on many occasions. The pool was small, but perfect for dipping into after a hot day of walking around Chiang Mai. Pearl, the owner of The Castle gave outstanding care and advice during our stay, was friendly, spoke excellent English and even took me to the hospital in Chiang Mai when I fell ill on my last day. I would recommend this hotel without doubt to anyone visiting Chiang Mai.

2  Thank aims2011
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The Castle is about two blocks from the south moat of Old Town Chiang Mai which makes it a fairly easy walk to anywhere though the neighborhood itself is not where one would likely eat or drink. The rooms and clean, the TV, DVD, and wifi work well. The pool, as noted in other reviews, is really the size of a large hot tub but at least one can cool off in it. I would probably spring for the superior room so you have a couple of chairs on the balcony but absent that the pool deck area is a fine place to read. I would recommend this place for people who want to be able to walk around town but don't want the cacophony of horns and backpackers.

1  Thank JChaseJohnson
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Recently stayed here with our kids in one of the family rooms. They were very clean with good standard facilities. Breakfast each day was freshly cooked to order and very tasty (they need to drain their poached eggs though - too watery). The pool is tiny and no more than 4 people can get in at any one time. The staff are exceedingly helpful and we took their advice on an elephant trek and had an amazing day. The location is good, not too far from the main attractions but in a nice quiet place. Had our washing done at the place just outside and that was cheap, fast and well done. My main gripe was the beds, they were the hardest I have ever slept in and very uncomfortable, my hips and back were sore each morning from them - ouch! Fix this and I would give this place an excellent rating.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KatB65
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We had a lovely week's stay at The Castle. It is a small hotel, older but very clean and comfortable. The manager, Pearl, is literally a gem as she answers emails quickly and helps with all arrangements. Once on site she helped set up tours, find restaurants, order taxis and guided on laundry etc. We really appreciated her help. The pool is small but fine for a couple of kids or adults, an honor drink's bar is nice, and the breakfast was much nicer than the 5star we stayed at in Bangkok en route. The hotel is located on a quiet street about 5 minute walk to the main road. This is a positive in some ways but also note there are limited restaurants or shops in the immediate location. Not too much a problem as taxis are cheap and readily available though. My children (4 ranging from 23 to 7) all enjoyed this place too.

Room Tip: If you want quiet then get the higher up rooms away from pool
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kate G
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I planned to stay 4 nights at The Castle, but ended staying a week due to its great location and friendliness of staff. Pearl, the owner, was very welcoming and booked everything from taxis to tours and cookery classes. She was very honest when helping me to decide on which tour company to go with, for example the low budget good ones etc. She recommended Asia Scenic cookery school and it was fantastic.

My room was in good condition and cleaned daily. When I arrived they upgraded me to a bigger room, I did not complain. The breakfast was delicious and included in the price. You chose your breakfast the day before and there would be a few options, for example, American style breakfast, omelet etc. This always included tea, fruit juice and mango or passion fruit.

The location was good. 10 minute walk from the Saturday market and 15-20 minute walk from the night bazaar area. There were no noise disturbances as it was located in a very quiet area away from the main road that surrounds the old city. I used the pool a few times just to cool off in the evenings.

If you are looking to meet people I would not recommend this place. Ideally it is for couples, families or like myself solo travellers looking for a quiet place to stay. It was very quiet when I stayed, however this did not bother me as I met people on tours etc.

Overall, I very much enjoyed my stay at The Castle and will definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo