“A real home away from home”
Review of Ban Kong Rao

Ban Kong Rao
Ranked #256 of 775 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 December 2008

Thanks to Jenny and Max the hostel is really a home away from home. I already miss them dearly.
The rooms are very beautiful, each room has a theme - Flowers, and the rooms are kept in the colours according to the flower. The food is great and they cater to special requests no matter how crazy.
They where very helpfull and did the impossible to find me a room to stay when I was stuck in Thailand due to the riots in Bangkok.
I would like to say a very gratefull and special THANK YOU SO MUCH to them for making my stay so wonderful

Next time that I visit Chiang Mai, this will be the Hostel I will be staying in.

Katerina

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Emptiness-dancing
There are newer reviews for Ban Kong Rao

Reviewed 22 December 2008

Ban Kong Rao,

Thailand provides their famous smile, Jenny & Max (from Ban Kong Rao) provide customer service to the best. From now on I can not call this a hostel but hotel!

They are very friendly, helpful and kind. The room is great, spacious and the food is excellent.

Never a second thought, visiting Chiang Mai = visiting Ban Kong Rao. Truly, their home was my home!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Arnoudnl
Reviewed 16 December 2008

Ban Kong Rao is located away from the old city in a quiet location. A red minibus ride would be about THB 20 per person to go to the Old Bazaar which is a 5 minute ride away. Rooms were clean and overall impression good . No lifts so we exercised daily up to the 4th floor. Owner and staff were friendly and spoke good english. Food was good and reasonably priced. There is street food outside the main road which was cheap and good.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eeky888
Reviewed 21 November 2008

My 2 weeks stay in Ban Kong Rao was EXCELLENT.

They truly know how to make their home my home. I loved the friendliness and the warmth that i got from Jenny and her staff. Even though i was thousands of miles away from my daughter and hubby, i wasnt homesick. The rooms are cute, cosy and clean. And surprisingly the rates are very reasonable. With this kind of place and service, one would imagine it to be expensive. But Ban Kong Rao is truly a great value for your money.

You will not regret staying in Ban Kong Rao. If you want your money's worth, it is Ban Kong Rao

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Haolai
Reviewed 16 November 2008

Where do I begin? Well... let's start with, WOW! If you have ever spent any time in Bangkok or Chiang Mai and hope for a quiet moment in a relaxing setting, you know it is hard to come by, however Ban Kong Rao has done just that.

This beautiful guest house (Boutique hotel if you are from the States) is welcoming from the moment you step in the gate and you find a sanctuary with hand crafted teak patio furnishings inviting you to sit and relax for a spell. I suggest taking advantage of it, they have great coffee and tea to help you get in the mood. (Not to mention a full menu- that is delish!) If you have a laptop and just HAVE to stay in touch with everyone back home, this is a great spot to set up and kick back because among other amenities they also offer free wireless access.

Ung (Jenny) and Max are GREAT! They are very helpful and always greet you with a sincere smile and a desire to make your stay memorable. The rest of her staff is very attentive too. The rooms are the best part, I visited a total of 11 guest houses before finding this one, had i started here, I never wasted my afternoon running around asking rates, etc. The rooms are clean, well appointed and you feel far away from the bustling streets just outside the gate. Rooms have private bathroom w/ hot showers, cable TV, telephone, and icing on the cake is a private balcony so you can watch the sunset or the sunrise depending on your room.

I stayed here for a month, and felt right at home. I look forward to coming back again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank tr1869
Reviewed 14 October 2008

I recently stayed for a month at Ban Kong Rao. The experience really made my trip a success. I just moved to Chiang Mai and was very nervous about being in Thailand and not knowing anyone. The staff at the hotel made me feel like I was staying at their home. The rooms are large and beautiful. I had a private garden and terrace outside of my room. All rooms have wireless internet and there is a rooftop garden and wading pool with incredible views of Doi Suthep and Chiang Mai.

The food was great and if there is something you want that is not on the menu the staff will make if for you.

The location is perfect as well. Only a short drive to the main shopping centers. The area is very Thai so it was full of culture and the smiling faces of the Thai people. The prices for meals in the area is very inexpensive. Less than a dollar for noodle soup. There are many places to get Thai massages. I was able to drive my rented motorbike down to the heart of Chiang Mai in about 8 minutes.

The type of people that stay at Ban Kong Rao are mostly attending the ITM massage school that is located just around the corner. They are wonderful people and I made a lot of friends during my short stay. I moved to an apartment now but I still go by the hotel almost everyday to visit my friends and grab a meal. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank go_mitchell
Reviewed 1 October 2008

We stayed at Ban Kong Rao for a period of 6 weeks, the service was great, the staff friendly, the rooms clean, and the food was fantastic.

The main reason we stayed at Ban Kong Rao was the rooms were clean and comfortable, the rooms are cleand daily, and if you need anything all you have to do is ask and it most likely would be accommodated.

They have a nice outdoor eating area as well as inside area where you can meet other guests or enjoy quite time to yourself.

The Manager and Owner are able to speak English, and were able to provide advise on the sights of Chiang Mai and assist with arranging transportation.

The food at Ban Kong Rao was cooked fresh, and at very reasonable prices. Sometimes we were able to order dishes not on the menu and they also have a delicious western breakfast.

So if you looking for a clean, comfortable and homely environment I would suggust any traveller to stay at Ban Kong Rao.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple