“Great!”

Gongkaew Chiangmai Home
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Great!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Loved it here so much I came back after pai. It's great they book everything for you and help you get to places. It's a few minutes walk to the Chiang Mai area.
But loved chaing Mai there's soo much to do here and I love wondering around and seeing monks too

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Kellyjeynes

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Great location and the owners are really nice. Rooms are clean and the bathroom is okay for asia. Sandwiches coffee tea or hot chocolate free whole day. I stayed here in total 7 night (4 nights first time 3 night second time ) and had a great time and the owner noa helped us with everything! I stayed here during the loy krathong and we made our own flower things with the family for free! They also guide us to the best places during the festival. Couldn't stay in a better place, gong kaew I am looking forward to come back within a couple years. Thank you for the pleasant stay. Greetz, the 2 Dutch ladies and the Swiss girl!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

The room and everything was ok, but our bathroom was terrible. The toilet was leaking and got worse over the four nights we were there, which meant it just smelt of sewage every time we opened the door. On the last night the tap under our sink started leaking too so meant we couldn't go to the toilet without our feet getting wet. 24 hours after having a shower and the shower floor remained wet, so very damp and smelly bathroom. However, free bottle of water each day and maid kept it clean. We did have a couple of cockroaches in the room (and geckos but we didn't mind them so much). Cheap airport pick up and drop off which was convenient. Wifi was ok but not great. Computers in communal area good for printing out flight information costing 5 thai baht a sheet. Free tea, coffee, bananas and toast available all times of day was really good! No laundry service, but use of the machine worked out cheaper! Staff always willing to help and booked us a few trips. Although when we arrived we asked the lady which was the best way to the nearest restaurant, she told us 'left then left' which we did and found somewhere good after a little bit of a walk. But the next day we went 'right then right' and realised that's were everything was! I don't know why she told us the opposite. Location is good, easy walking distance to everything in main part of Chiang Mai and really quick from airport which is good. Lots of wildlife at this place though, squirrels, frogs, geckos, chickens (really annoying rooster that wakes everyone up as soon as it's day light... But you get used to it), cats, dogs, bats and of course cockroaches! The only thing other than our bathroom which I didn't like too much was that if the communal area was loud with people coming back after a night out, it woke us up as we were in the little cabin right opposite it. Would recommend but they really need to fix the toilet first, otherwise, fine for a few nights, everything you could need. Comfy beds and couldn't hear people in room next to us, so apart from the frogs outside it was a very quiet nights sleep for a good price.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was a neat little place tucked away in the old city. The location was pretty good as it was reasonably close to all amenities, while still being a fairly quiet property. (There was a mid-sized building construction site operating right next door when we stayed there, but it didn't operate at unreasonable hours, and looked like it would be completed in a couple of months anyway. Plus I can't exactly blame the hostel for something like that.)
The office, lounge area and bathrooms were a neat open concept style with nice roofs over them, but no walls (except, obviously, around the toilets and showers) The bathrooms were tidy enough, although the cleaning staff apparently cut some corners; toilet paper needed to be replaced more frequently, and one of the shower drains stayed quite clogged with hair for all three nights. Certainly nothing outrageous for a hostel, as always, check the TP situation before you use the toilet.
The downside to the open concept was that it gave the mosquitoes free reign everywhere except for the rooms themselves. Anyone travelling in Thailand will know that this is something of a malaria concern, although much less so in Chiang Mai than many other areas. I would also say that being so exposed to the elements gave the whole place something of a shabby feel, but again, I don't expect 5-star decor at a hostel. It just seems strange to see lockers, PC's, washing machines and furniture out in the open, and they all look a little worse for wear because of it.
The beds were pretty comfortable, my only gripe with the dorm room was that there was a big window in the door which allowed the exterior light in to shine in all night from the hallway directly adjacent. That won't bother some people, but I found the room to be too bright.
All in all I found the Gongkaew ChiangMai House to be a decent little place for a good price, and with very friendly staff who know the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kyle P
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have just left this hostel and it was awesome!! One of the cleanest hostels I have ever been in. I stayed in the 8 bed all girls dorm. It really could not have been cleaner. Really not sure how people can have a problem with cleanliness as they were cleaning the whole place every morning from top to bottom to the extreme!! There was even hot showers! Amazing! The Internet was amazingly fast I managed to Skype my mum in uk without a hitch. I stayed 3 nights and would have been happy to stay longer. The fabulous lady on reception hired me one of their shooters, she booked a fabulous cooking experience and all my travel requirements. I have been travelling for a year and so I can say this was one of the best! Enjoy!

Room Tip: If u are a woman, I would highly recommend the all girl dorm... Away from the smelly boys!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KiwiB34
Dublin
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights during our travels and were really looking forward to it after reading reviews etc. Let me start by saying that the staff here were extremely friendly and helpful in helping us organise trips etc. The location was good only a short walking distance from main restaurants/shops. There was free tea and toast available at any time and facilities to wash clothes available. The only downfall and the one thing that changed our opinion of here was the bathroom in our room. The bathroom and especially the shower was beyond dirty and the smell of sewage continuous although worse in the morning. We know that this was a great price for the facilities available but nevertheless didn't feel this was appropriate to give guests as public toilets we used were cleaner than this. It was very disappointing as we felt we were trying to avoid being in the room at all. Also a lot of Mosquitos, geckos and cockroaches in room which again we understand are hard to avoid but all the same not enjoyable.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Gongkaew Chaingmai Home for 3 nights. The owner was pleasant and helpful. He had a good knowledge of the tours and was able to set everything up for us. We did the half-day elephant mahout training, which was an amazing experience! There is a central outdoor, covered, common area with chairs, couches and tables, not to mention unlimited free toast and coffee. There are 3 computers with free access to the internet. Only 1 was working during my stay. The internet is very, very slow and was not working at all on my last day. We stayed in a 3 person private bungalow with our own bathroom. Room was just what we needed - basic and clean. However, we did notice a sewage like smell in the bathroom that increased as the days went on. However, the same smell was also noted in our second Chiang Mai guest house bathroom so maybe it's a normal thing. There was also construction going on next door during the day, however we didn't really notice it as we were awake and exploring during the day. At night, it can get a bit noisy with all the frogs but I never had any trouble falling asleep. The rooster waking us up in the morning was somewhat unwelcome, but just added to the whole atmosphere of the place. Overall, is a good place to stay if you are on a budget.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends