“Great Value for Money!”

Ranked #158 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Great Value for Money!”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This was a great value for the money. The owner and staff were more then helpful when trying to book out of town trips and when we were trying desperately to get in touch with friends. The rooms were basic but clean. Thaphae Garden was in a central location and within walking distance for everything we wanted to do. All in all we had an amazing time in Chiang Mai and Thaphae Garden definitely help with the all over experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The guesthouse was neat, clean, with fan, TV, swimming pool, nice and helpful staff - family business. It's situated 10 minutes from the old town and ten minutes from Night bazaar, great location. We stayed there 6 nights and the price was great. They can organize a excursions for you and next morning mini bus picks you up in front of the guest house.

1 Thank Pavlinjo
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Seriously. For the price you pay this Hotel is absolutely wonderful. I found the staff (family owners perhaps) welcoming and willing to help. I am not going to say a bad word about this place. I can't. They say you get what you pay for. Well even by Thai standards and prices I think this hotel gets it spot on. It's not a 5 star spa hotel. You are not paying for it. But the prices, the location, the service available, the tidiness of rooms, the layout of the hotel and how it is kept... FANTASTIC!
Now others may disagree. Matter of opinion. But manners count. I watched at the reception as a rude female backpacker walked in. The way she spoken to the lady behind the reception was cold and rude. Manners count both ways. I tried to smile (hard for me lol) at all times and thanked them all the time. If I return to Chiang Mai I am definetely using this beautiful hotel again. Why risk going anywhere else. I did not use the pool, their bar or try breakfast from them. I can only comment on how happy I was with the room, service and reception/staff. We used their reception to book and pay for a few activities also. If the hotel gets commission from them then your helping them and they certainly are helping you as it's very convenient. You could ask them to book an excursion at 6pm for you went out into Town for a meal. Next morning your getting picked up for the excursion. Saves loads of time. Plus added benefit of them speaking thai to the activity company you choose. My friend stopped here an extra night (when I left to Bangkok a day ahead of him) and he booked a biking trip with 2 men direct from the hotel (their own trips) and he told me he very much enjoyed it also.
So bearing in mind the price... IMHO... FANTASTIC.

Stayed three nights from 5th November and stayed in Room 211 (air con).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed there 6 nights.
Rooms where OK, bathroom was little old, but nice shower tho.
Rooms wheren't cleaned every day. For the price we payed I thought it was possible to clean the room every day. When the room was cleaned it wasn't perfect, so a quick clean every day should be possible.
Swimming pool was nice, but very cold, but thats OK after a sweaty day in Chiang mai. Not that clean tho (In comparison with european standards)
Staff was friendly if they could suck some Baths out of you. Otherwise they don't care.
No reduction was possible after extending 4 days after our second day.. On the website they mention to give reduction when you book a trip with them, but thats not true. We booked cookery school at the hotel and 2 times a motorcycle (at the corner of the street, family).
We also had to pay to safe our lugage there for one night because we did a trekking.. Normally you pould expect this to be free because you are a returning client, not here !!
Wifi was crap. Worked only 50% of the time .. We where not the only one, others where complaining to.. But I must admit the guy at the lobby helped us out to change to another wifi and that worked!
Breakfast was expensive but very nice!
Location is perfect! Everything is close

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We (me, my wife and two kids) stayed here for 5 nights. I have been to Thailand 4 times before so I am used to how things work.

It works like this. If you stay in a place like TGG where the price is more than fair you need to do a couple of activities with them. Then everyone will be happy. They will give you great service and do everything for you that is reasonably expected.

If you only come to stay and look around for "cheap" activities elsewhere then expect to get the cold shoulder.

We wanted to do the more expensive elephant experience but as they were booked solid for at least a month TGG suggested a much more affordable one. We were happy, TGG were happy and so were Yogi Mahout Elephant Camp (See separate review).

Breakfast was included in the price as well as free wi-fi. What else could you ask for?

Well, they even have a decent swimming pool, which our kids just loved.

The only thing that I could have complained about was that the toilet didn't flush properly. I had to open the lid to the water tank and fiddle with it until the water stopped coming out of the sides. But it wasn't a big deal. Hey, it's Thailand!

So, thank you TGG for a most pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My girlfriend and I returned recently from a stay at the Thaphae Garden Guesthouse. The price and location was good, but not much else impressed. The room was suitably sized and furnished, with good hot water and a soft bed, but the fan did a bad job of keeping the room cool (I can't imagine what these rooms would be like in summer), you had to ask to have your room cleaned, and the wifi did not work, even when we went down to the lobby. We also found the grounds of the hotel to have no real personality - compared to other guesthouses we peeked into, this place (which we had booked online ahead of time) felt lifeless and cold. No color or music or laughter. Now none of this is really that big of a deal - we came to see the city and the area, not the room where we rest our heads at night - we are on a traveler's budget and do not except 5 star service. What we do like from places we give return business and recommendations for is a friendly and helpful management.

Most of the small and quiet staff seemed nice enough, but the manager NEVER smiled or greeted us, and tried to charge us quite a bit more for trekking options and return buses to Bangkok than we found at several other travel agencies along the SAME main street. I understand they want to make a commission, but the manager make it sound like the price she offered was a special deal - it really just seemed like she was trying to make a quick buck off of tourist naivety. When on our last day we asked about certain temples we pointed out on the map, the manager told my girlfriend (who is Thai and speaks the language fluently - there was no language barrier here), to ask a taxi driver. This was before even consulting with her other staff sitting right next to her - She flat out was not going to even try to help us in the slightest. We had to then ask the staff, again SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO HER, our same question. They didn't know anything about these places either. We got one of the chilliest vibes from the manager that we ever have gotten, and did not want to spend any more time around the hotel than necessary. We are quiet, clean, and friendly guests, and we did not understand where this was coming from. We didn't try the restaurant as a result - breakfast is not included - and there are lots of other tasty places just a few minutes walk away.

Besides just other food options close by, there are tons of other places to stay in the area. Pick a place with a little more soul, this place left a sour taste in our mouths after an otherwise very sweet trip to Chiang Mai. We are definitely never coming back to the Thaphae Garden Guesthouse.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Techasith Y, Manager at Thaphae Garden Guesthouse, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Greeting from Thaphae Garden Guest House,

First of all, we need to say thank you for all comments, pros and con. They are very useful and helpful for us to improve our service and be courage for the staffs.

According to the customer’s review, we would like to explain the situations of staying as below.

1. In this case, guests had booked the double bed in the fan room with us for 2 nights.
On that day they checked in, the room with the double bed for 2 persons was booked up so we prepared the triple fan room with 1 double bed and 1 single bed for them which are bigger space of room. They There is 1 fan in the room and we are accepting that there might be warmer temperature in the room during day time. By the way, it depends to people’s physical conditions to agree that the room temperature are fine, good, warm or hot for them that we cannot control this. Some cases before booked in the fan room then they prefer upgrade to air- con while most of them are happy to stay in the fan room. In summer time, the fan rooms are also busy like in the a/c rooms. The weather and the room temperature are about something that out of control for us.

2. About Wi-Fi connection, the guest house has 2 separate Wi- Fi routers that our guest
could access from both in the room and around lobby area. By the way, some mobile devices may not connect due to many people connecting at same time or some devices could not support. In contrast, most of the time the Wi- Fi signal is working quite well as you can see from other reviews. In some cases, guest came to contact us when they could not using Wi- Fi or don’t know how to connect it and yes we appreciate to serve them. In case of these two guests, no consult from them about this problem so we never know this problem happened to them and how we could help them.

3. For the bus ticket to from Chiangmai to Bangkok, we have the VIP bus ticket booking
service at the reception. Price for the ticket is THB 650 per person includes a meal, drinks and travel insurance also this VIP bus is operating by the government. In fact, the normal price for the VIP bust ticket is THB 657 that anyone can check from the bus station. We reserve and deliver all tickets to our guests at the guest house. They just need to get the bus station themselves. In case of the low- cost bus prices are between THB 350- 450 with no insurance and no complimentary items, the bus will only drop all passengers at Khao San Rd not at the Mo- Chit station (the main station) so in Thailand tourist industry called this kind of bus as Khao San Bus. Anyone can find this Kind of bus from general travel agent if required low or limited budget.
Moreover, as we are the travel agency, the tour operator and the guest house, the prices we offer are reasonable compare to the quality control and the responsibility towards our customers. As we have been operating guest house and other tourist business over than 20 years in Chiangmai, our business could not be grow up and survive if we are unfaithful or honestly and no responsibility to our guests. We have been learning from the working and dealing experience with foreigner so we know the difference needs.
According to the guests exclaimed for the bus ticket that “the manager make it sound like the price she offered was a special deal - it really just seemed like she was trying to make a quick buck off of tourist naivety” , this sounds unfair to us as we offer the similar or in fact a little bit cheaper than the bus at the station offer.

4. On the last day, refer to the “Wat” (Temple) as I, the receptionist, a person who was sitting next to the lady that the guests state she’s manager, I’ m honestly telling that I do not know the temple that the guest’s girl friend asked for. Due to the temple is situated out of the city district, even though around the famous Mae Rim district but up to the hill, I really do not know this place. She pointed out the temple on the map and asked for the direction. As I haven’t got a clue the direction to go there and to be safe for giving the wrong direction and information so I said “Sorry, I don’t know.”
We, the guest house staffs are sometimes do not know everything in Chiangmai but try to give the right information as much as we know. Also sometimes, the taxi, tuk- tuk or the red mini- bus drivers know more routes than us due to they go around with passengers every day. Also the guests were planned to go to the temple by the taxi so the lady next to me said “I don’t know just go and ask the taxi driver.” There is something might hurt their feelings by the intonation, the verbal or non- verbal languages from the lady she sat next to me on that day. In fact, she is not the manager but just one of our staff.

On behalf of Thaphae Garden Guest House, I and other staffs do sorry for any actions or dissatisfied services made these two guests unhappy or irritate them. We could not be the completely perfect guest house but we really do our best for our value customers. Please readers do critical reading of both sides’ reviews and to use yours critically to make your own decision.

Thank you very much for you time.
Thaphae Garden Guest House
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

The rooms are not large, but they are well laid out and very clean. Small details, such as plugs at waist height near the door - ideal for charging a phone, really help make the room work. The staff are genuinely interested in helping you find attractions and events. Walking distance to a lot, I'd stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends