“Just the right place to have a calm stay in Chiang Mai”
Review of Awanahouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Awanahouse
Ranked #17 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Bonn, Germany
“Just the right place to have a calm stay in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I highly recommend this place.

The rooms were lovely (we had to change once during our stay because we did not have a reservation), both with little balcony, mosquito net, clean bathroom, AC, fridge, high quality bed linen and good matresses.
The staff was very helpful. We rented a laptop for one day, had good lunch in the hotel, went swimmung in the pool every day and also booked a one day tour at the hotel (long neck village, elephant ride, hike to waterfall and kayaking - also recommandable!).
Last but not least there is a wonderful terrace on the roof overlooking the city and the hill with the temple - a wonderful place to relax and watch the sunset!

We are a backpacking young couple who stayed in dirty hostels a lot during our tour through Asia. The Awana House seemed like paradise to us! :)

To sum it up: Best location, friendly staff and super clean and quiet rooms for a great price!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Lamastre, France
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Fantastic Guesthouse,

I stayed for almost the whole month of december 2013 in Awana guesthouse in beautiful Chiangmai.
I have been coming to Chiangmai for longtime during the winter and stayed in various guesthouses and was satified with most of them.
Spring 2013 I searched on google to plan the wintertrip. I wanted something different to the guesthouse where I stayed the years before.
I noticed Awana guesthouse, that cought my eye by its location and presentation.
Near Thapae gate, in the actual center of the town but tucked away in a small quiet alley
Price was also reasonable so I booked for 2 weeks and if it suited me I could always extend my stay.
Well, a few days after my arrival I booked for the whole month !As far as I’m concerned it’s one of the best locations in town, centrally situated with fantastic restaurants, shops, cozy bars , coffee shops and cultural activities in the neighbourhood .Just one minute to the famous Sunday market which lasts until late in the evening.
Beautiful, nice decorated and especially clean guestrooms and my little balcony which gave me some views over the vicinity.
On the top floor there is a lovely sunterrace where you can read or just chill out.
And downstairs there is a swimming pool.
Only good things to say about the staff, friendly, helpful with perfect english. Trips and excursions can be arranged by the guesthouse.
Ron, the manager is a good and friendly host who stays in the background but is there when necessary and very helpful with his advice. Not pushy and respectful to his staff .

All in all I had a great stay and I have already booked for next december. I really look forward to my next trip and would recommand it to eveybody.

Jost

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2014

For $18 a night you can't beat this place! It is super-clean, well-decorated, comfortable, safe, centrally-located and CHEAP. The staff is friendly & very helpful. The food in the restaurant is good and reasonably priced. Honestly my only complaint about the place is that the bathrooms were a tad moldy (which is a common problem in muggy Thailand). If they were sprayed down with a little bleach this place would be absolutely PERFECT!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Natalie B
Kapellen, Belgium
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed here at the end of february, 2 nights before our trekking and 2 days after in two different rooms. We stored our luggage in a closed off area during our trekking free of charge. The rooms are very spacious, with quite a hard but clean bed and musquito net. There is a closet, a big mirror, a safe and a mini bar available in your room. The rooms had a fan and A/C. There is a small balcony, but the bench isn`t too comfortable to sit, but hey, there are bars to sit outside just across the street, who needs it?! The staff was very friendly and helpfull. We ate breakfast here every morning and there realy wasn`t anything to complain about that. There is a top flour terrace where you can sit quietly on a daybed, which we often did. The area is surprisingly quiet at night, so you will get a good nights rest.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lotsje
Milwaukie, Oregon
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Stayed at the wonderful hotel in 2014, January.
Not the first time we have been able to book a room.
Great location, to get any where in town.
Very friendly and helpful staff. We would recommended
any one to stay at this super hotel.

Room Tip: we have stay on different floors and haven't notice a difference, unless you are not into walk...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maggiewesley
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I have just stated a week in Awana House and I didn't want to leave. Whoever wrote the comment about the staff being uncaring couldn't have been more wrong. In my opinion they were all truly wonderful and treated us all as part of the family. It was a very quiet guesthouse and other people staying there had respect and were quiet on the floor landings which made it peaceful for everyone.
One negative is that breakfast doesn't start until 8.00am and as we did trips on most days where we had to be collected at 8.00 we had to eat at the cafe opposite which was open earlier.
The pool is very clean but a little on the cold side. It certainly refreshes you tho! It doesn't get the sun to be able to heat it up as it has a covering over it but this didn't bother me too much as when you're hot and sweaty it's a nice relief to be able to have a dip.
We made some nice friends here and we were very sad to leave.
There are various rooms and the prices reflect this. I would recommend a room for 790 bhat a night as these were very comfy. I would also recommend you to book in advance as these rooms go quickly. I saw loads of people come in off the street to be told there was no room at the inn!! Highly recommended
Ps The Dutch owner of Awanahouse is very handsome too!! x

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jo_From_Reading
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The staff is very nice and helpful (Zindy especially). The pool is perfect for the hot Chiang Mai days. The room was clean (and the bed comfy!). I was in a first floor room, which they warned me might be loud because of the proximity to the lobby, but I never found it to be loud. The one thing I would say is that the WiFi isn't the greatest, but its a small problem. The location is excellent - near Tha Pae gate and the Sunday night market.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo