“Liked it!”
Review of The Dome Residence

The Dome Residence
Ranked #146 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Just left The Dome Residence after 6 weeks there and liked it. Have to say up front we are not high maintenance people and prefer to be left alone to do our own thing.

One of the best things about the Dome is the location. We could walk to just about everything! The zoo was only about 25 minutes walk, the center of old town was about the same - we walk briskly. The brand new Maya mall (with food court downstairs) was about 5-10 minutes walking west and so was Kad Suan Kaew walking east (3 food courts and night food market out front 5 nights a week and a supermarket downstairs). Since we don't speak Thai it was great to be able to tell a songtao or tuk tuk driver we wanted to go to Kad Suan Kaew and everyone knew where it was! Also, since we were just off Huay Kaew there were tons of songtao whizzing past all the time. I'd think the further you are off of a large street the more difficult to convince a driver to take you there or to find one driving past.

We thought The Dome was very quiet resident-wise. I read someone say the halls were dark - how could it be when the entire center of the building is one big atrium with a opaque ceiling! We were on the 7th floor so perhaps the lower floors were darker but we could see all the way down to the garden on the bottom floor. Some folks did slam their doors but wasn't anything you couldn't forgive, right? OK, there is traffic noise but it was because we had the room overlooking the busy street and Doi Suthep on the hill. We liked the view and watching the traffic so that was the compromise we had to make - we slept with the balcony doors opened but if you closed them it got quiet. One thing to mention with any place you choose, be aware of the sun direction because certain sides of buildings are much cooler than others, but that's not a flaw of the Dome it goes for everywhere.

The actual room doesn't have many amenities. We had a deluxe room so it was bigger than the basic room but all there was inside was - a double bed, an armoire, 2 night stands, a built-in desk with one chair (asked for another, no problem), wide screen TV and a fridge. I read other reviewers mention microwaves, we didn't have any nor any other kitchen equipment. Oh, we had one plate and 2 glasses. Got a few supplies at the Central Dept. store to round things out. But I'd suggest buying any short term living supplies at a number of small shops that are meant just for people like you. They have everything needed, laundry baskets, dinnerware, storage supplies, detergent, etc. We also bought a light socket on a long cord and a light bulb and mounted it in place with a Command Strip plastic hook. I like things bright!

Important for me was that there were no bugs, the drains were quick, the shower was hot, the air con worked great. BTW the total electrical use for us for 6 weeks was about 38 cents usd per day but we didn't use the aircon but did have our computers on all the time. OK, they do ask an extra fee for a second computer but it's only 50 cents a day and the connection was really strong. There are two elevators in the building and both were quick and we never had to wait more than a few seconds till one arrived.

We never asked much of the front desk crew but there is one lady in particular who speaks really good English. The others not so much but we just kept our questions until we saw this lady.

Just to let you know, a new building is going up about a block away but we weren't bothered by the noise. They begin work around 8:00 am or later and quit around 4:00-ish. We were out of our room for most of the day anyhow and it was fun to watch the progress and definitely not a bother.

If we were to stay in Chiang Mai again we would definitely be happy to stay at The Dome. People unhappy with places always say, "I found a much better place and cheaper, too!" well, would you mind telling us where that is??

Room Tip: Pick the shady side of the building and upper floors have a nicer view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hyatraveler
There are newer reviews for The Dome Residence

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed here for two months from December 2010. Good location near Nimamhamin area and near Central shopping mall. Clean, modern building and room. There was a restaurant on the ground floor which was ok. I understand the restaurant has now closed so I reckon now the ambiance has changed. Overall the place was good with few issues. Internet worked fine most of the time in the room. Good price for monthly stay.

Did find the front desk staff to be somewhat young and sometimes not so polite.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Gee_DC
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The hotel is nice enough - clean and well-kept. Parking lot. All amenities, including coin laundry machines. Nice lobby. Clean big room. Comfortable bed. Far enough away from the old city to avoid the narrow local streets. But arriving by car is still difficult because the main road doesn't allow for U-turns, and the soi where the hotel is located has no thru-way. Upon arrival, I was immediately put-off, because I was refused the request to see the room first (I was deciding between the standard and deluxe room). The staff member informed me that she was the only staff there, and could not leave the desk. I suggested that she let me go up myself (no - must pay first) or that she let the guard or cleaning lady take me up. Finally, she took me up herself, and we agreed to stay. I was in Chiang Mai for work, so internet was important to me. Extra 100B for the internet in my room, and they only allow you to have one computer logged in at a time (no internet for my husband). I got three different log-ins and passwords for the internet, depending on where I would be in the hotel. Wi-fi did not work in my room, nor in the lobby. I asked for assistance and was given many excuses (often told that I was using the wrong password, which I most certainly was not). I was also encouraged to pay only for one night, because the price for the room would be going up the following day (starting the high season). In any case, the extra charge for internet (that didn't work) and fluctuating room price gave the impression of nickle and diming. Employees need more training, although I can't really blame them for the complicated system. We had plans to stay in Chiang Mai for 4-5 days, so the next day we moved to another nearby, and more straight forward, hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ThaiBrazil
Reviewed 24 January 2013

The Dome is a no-frills hotel/long-term rental building located on Huay Kaew Road. Its location makes it convenient to do things in the northern part of Chiang Mai, such as going to the university, Suthep Mountain, and Nimmanhaemin Road.

The rooms are clean and have cable, but the appearance is a little drab although the building is only a few years old. The hallways are very dark.

The staff are not enthusiastic about their jobs. No food venues so one has to walk at least five minutes to find anything. It isn't expensive so would be appropriate as a stop-over.

Room Tip: North facing is best to avoid street noise and karaoke.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank zzyyxxww
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Location. Pros: About 10 restaurants within 600m walk, plus a major mall with 2 food courts and some freestanding restaurants. Cons: Close enough to one of the busiest roads in Chiang Mai that leaving the balcony door open is an unattractive option because of the noise. Late nights feature the howl of high powered motorcycles. Returning to the hotel from the east during late afternoon traffic means creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic.

Big bathroom, good capacity instant water heater. Western toilet, asian shower which means no curtain.

Desk space for 2 people at laptops, but only one chair. Mid sized refrigerator. Sink on balcony.

An excellent mattress but sheets were not 100% cotton.

Thin walls. An atrium seemingly designed to amplify any sound. Doors that close with a BANG unless one is careful. Could understand every word of my neighbor's phone conversation. In all fairness he was in a heated discussion, emphatic but not shouting. Hearing other's TV is routine - and that's sleeping with ear plugs, which I always do.

Friendly, helpful desk staff with limited English skills which seemingly decrease with the severity of problem one is attempting to solve. Room cleaners not as friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Without a doubt the worst hotel experience I have ever had, and this is after working and traveling in Asia for nearly 20 years. From the mosquito infested lobby (the only place where wi-fi works) to the inconsistent service (my room went days without being cleaned) to the officious and arrogant management (she obviously felt she could because it was high season), this place promises a lot but delivers close to nothing - a roof and a bed. No facilities to speak of, always asking for money for this bit and that bit (even a hot water kettle in the room) they treat all travelers the same - short and long term. Fortunately I was able to get out of there after a week to a place that offers a lot better facilities and services, more hospitality, all for the same price or less. I actually feel sorry for the normal staff there, they mean well but are clueless because they seem to receive no help from management.

Room Tip: They are all the same.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank matthew b
Reviewed 8 November 2012

A nice building in a convenient location. Unfortunately, management here is lazy and clueless.

The staff are just idling around most of the time.

There is no restaurant or coffee bar in the building. Based on earlier reviews, this building used to have a restaurant. That is no longer the case. The fact that they can't even sort out a coffee and juice bar in the morning is surprising. The nearest coffee shop is 5 minutes walk away. For good coffee you need to walk 15mn to Nimman. They have 2 or 3 people at the reception doing virtually nothing all day but they can't run a little coffee and drinks bar? It's just puzzling.

The towels and sheets are all stained.

Wifi is free downstairs in the lounge by reception but you have to pay in the rooms. If the Dome had a bar in the lounge perhaps this would be a nice communal space where you could get to know your neighbors. It isn't.

There is a laundry room where you can do your own laundry. You have to buy detergent at 7 eleven. There are no racks to dry your laundry anywhere. They expect you to use one of the driers? In this climate?

We booked a "suite" for 5 days. It was advertised to have a kitchenette. We figured it would be a nice room higher up in the building with some of these mountain views they advertise. The pictures on the web showed nicely decorated and spacious rooms. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

In Thailand, expectations for kitchenettes are low. That said, here you only get one microwave, along with plates, mugs, and cutlery. Unless you want to microwave something, you're out of luck. There is no stove. There is no kettle. There is no coffee maker.

We were on the 2nd floor on the shady side with no views in a room that had clearly seen better days. It wasn't worth doubling down for a "suite" at all.

Management here is just lazy. This building could easily be great and lively. They could provide services for both short and long term residents and make money in the process. They chose not to. It's depressing.

You can survive here and the nightly rate on the studios isn't bad. For a short stay, you can do much better at one of the lodges in the old city. For long stays in the Nimman area, there are better options.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple