“A cosy, friendly guesthouse”
Review of Kavil Guesthouse

Kavil Guesthouse
Ranked #101 of 379 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“A cosy, friendly guesthouse”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at the Kavil Guesthouse for 5 nights in late July/early August. It is located in the central part of the old city in Chiang Mai and provides easy access to all the key sites in this area. It is a 'traveller' area of the city and has all the necessary shops, restaurants, pharmacy, banks, ATMs and money exchanges within walking distance (5-10 min). If you are getting a taxi from the airport I recommend taking a map from tourist information and showing your taxi driver where you want to go on the map as the old city can be quite confusing in a car and our cabbie did not know where he was going (a Soi is an off-shoot lane from a main street, in this case, Ratchadamnoen Road).

The guesthouse is family run and the staff are friendly and helpful. We booked all our taxis and activities through them and received a discount in most cases as a result.

The prices for the rooms are great. We payed 450B for a large double room with AC and a bathroom. When it came to booking the room I had to make a telephone call to arrange things. I would therefore recommend getting a Thai SIM card (these are often handed out at the airport by mobile service providers) or using Skype.

I have stayed in a lot of guesthouses over the years and found this one to be great. The staff are very welcoming. When I returned to Chiang Mai again a few days later, I stayed in a mid-range hotel for the sake of convenience. The hotel cost more money, provided a lower standard of service and the staff were disinterested and unhelpful, I wished we'd gone back to The Kavil Guesthouse as it really was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gecko Room (it had a massive gecko print on the wall) located on the first floor...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first

300 for large fan room (twinsbed, doublebed, bathroom) 1-2 person
350 for large A/C room (twinsbed, doublebed, bathroom) 1-2 person
400 for large fan room (triplebed, bathroom) 3 person
450 for large A/C room (triplebed, bathroom) 3 person

1st floor :have restaurant, a little place for chilling, for order some foods, some drinks
also have information for Booking tour, cooking , tracking, fishing, you can ask

not allowed smoke inside!
staff they are so nice, welcomely, friendly and warm
they have a slogan "everyone is family"

Room Tip: *(toilet paper, towel, cleanup room(10am-3pm), wifi problem, you can ask staff 24Hrs) 1st floor :h...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Davehulona
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Great small family style guesthouse, quiet and near thapa gate.
Stayed there last few times while in town.
Yesterday they even returned my rental bike, when I was running late...
Check out little owner operated 4 table restaurant across from Kavil - Somnam.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank deintheworld
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Lovely Budget Guest house in Chiang Mai, Walking distance to centre. Very friendly english speaking staff. Excellent Value breakfast recommended especially Nuii's pancakes. Only downside is beds quite hard otherwise no complaints

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chrismarog
Switzerland
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Needed to find one night's accommodation to extend the stay and stumbled on Kavil's guesthause 2. Not sure if the same or what 2 stands for but we were very pleased to find it. We got a private room at the top, 3 flights if stairs, not a bad size and with en suite bathroom. A would consider a bargain for 250 bts a night! At night could be slightly noisy with couple of bars across the road but no problem with ear plugs, which I always carry with me. Very nice looking breakfast club 20 meters away servings gluten free cakes among many other things, which I think were also organic. We absolutely loved juice bar on the next street, mixed juices for 40 bts and smoothies for 30bts.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Forli, Italy
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Chiang Mai offers a lot of good accommodations and in my opinion Kavil Guesthouse is one of better ones for location, price and courtesy. The room where we stayed was big and clean with aircon or fan, the cost was 350 bat.
The guesthouse is in the old city very closed to the main attractions of Chiang Mai, the friendly owners will suggest you the best way to visit the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Harrycane78
Moab, Utah
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

I kind of stumbled into Kavil, and I'm so glad I did! The rooms are basic, but cheap and clean. I booked a tour through Kavil, and not only did I get it cheaper than everyone else in the group, but Kavil kept my bag locked up for me while I was gone, served me a beautiful breakfast before I left, and gave me a free nights accommodation the day I returned. As if that isn't great enough, the location is ideal! On a smaller, quiet side alley, so you have privacy but are a few minute's walk from all the temples.

• Stayed November 2013