“Good location and good wifi”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rendezvous Guest House
Ranked #216 of 777 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Best wifi we had throughout Thailand and Cambodia. The rooms were nice, hot water was good and there was a stocked mini fridge. They were extremely helpful in coordinating activities. Perfect location in the Old City, great for Sunday Night Market but was on a very cute alley and not loud at all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Rendezvous Guest House

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Soaking wet from the pendulum of Songkran, I had to take shelter to dry my clothing and electronics. On a normal day, I would have walked on to find me a more suitable place to rest.

The place looked quite abandoned when I got there and the guesthouse was poorly lit. Almost every time I went to the reception, I had to ring the bell and wait for at least 5 minutes (could be they were busy with Songkran activities, which is totally fine). The price was also a bit more than I would have expected, even for the breakfast that was included.

The room itself was nice enough, had a big bed for myself and a bed next to it which I wasn't supposed to use (didn't either). The sheets were clean, but there seemed to be too many old spots on them. The room was decorated in a wooden style, but most of it seemed old and even a bit run down. They do have a T.V which is great to watch footie on.

What might be a little problem with this guesthouse, is that they have a lot of furniture, which then leads to not being cleaned properly. Although it wasn't filthy, it wasn't really clean either.

This place is far from the worst I've had, but more reasonably priced and a bit more attentive/helpful staff would increase the value for this place, in my humble opinion.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

My friends and I happened to come across this hostel whilst searching just off the night market street and decided to give it a go. The most interesting thing was that they actually had a 3 single-beds room, which we only asked for as a joke pretty much. The room bad no AC tho and it got pretty hot during the night. Besides for that, the stay was a decent one. Nothing too great but nothing too terrible either. I'd recommend it if someone who is looking for a central location and isn't too picky about the setup.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My partner and I spent two weeks at the Rendezvous Guest House, mostly because we had a hard time finding a guesthouse that wasn't fully booked during the Christmas period. It was a pleasant enough place, and a great location, but if it hadn't been for our difficulty to find a decent bed, we would have left much quicker.

Overall, our experienced was mixed, with some good, and some bad.

The good:

- The place is cute and thoughtfully decorated. The rooms have a nice look when you see them first, and some of them have a balcony overlooking the neighboring temple.

- One of the reasons we stayed so long is that they allow you to decide one day in advance if you want to stay longer or not, as opposed to hotels where your room can be booked by other guests long in advance and you're forced to move out.

- The guesthouse is really well located, within 5 minutes of Tapae Gate in the Old City, inside a quiet and peaceful soi next to a temple. It's a particularly great location on Sundays, as the Sunday walking street market is right next door yet the noise doesn't reach the guesthouse.

- The price of the room includes breakfast. I had it a few times and grew bored with it (it's either two fried eggs and bacon, or fried rice, with fruit and coffee), and didn't find it very tasty, but I'm sure others may disagree.

The bad:

- Cleanliness was a serious issue. The room felt clean when we got there, but the daily cleaning was inadequate. The bedsheets were rarely changed (twice in two weeks, and we asked) and the bathroom was grimy and poorly cleaned. Our towels were rarely changed, and when they were, they were replaced with "clean" towels that smelled terrible. The staff used a scented spray to seemingly give the room a clean smell.

- The place gave me the vibe that its glory days were behind it. A few things are falling into disrepair, and the staff doesn't seem too interested in fixing them. The owners are usually surly and grumpy, but they've always helped when I asked (such as changing a lightbulb).

- The rooms are very poorly isolated from noise, due to a window facing the corridor. In general, the guests were very respectful and quiet, so we slept pretty well. But when the guests across from our room opened their door, it sounded like they were walking right inside our own room.

- The bed mattresses are bad and need to be changed.

- Shower was not good. Water pressure came and went, which meant the water went from lukewarm to boiling and back without warning.

- The guesthouse is too expensive for what it offers. At 200B less it might have been a good deal, but the type of room we could get for the same price once the holidays were over was stunning. We found a place outside the Old City, in a bustling Thai neighborhood, and by paying by the month (an option which the Rendezvous doesn't do), we ended up paying the same daily price as the Rendezvous, yet got something that was superior in every conceivable way.

Overall, it's not a bad place to stay at all, and its location is really convenient. But if you're not traveling in the high season, shop around, because there are much better deals to be found.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Situated just off Sunday walking St near tha pae gate, great location on a quiet street. Rooms are nice with tvs and good showers. Breakfast is toast and fruit. Beds arent hugely comfy, that's the only thing. And one day they forgot to clean our room and they never changed the towels even though we were there 5 nights. Also stayed at Kavil, a few metres down same St. Also fine but without the tv and breakfast, but there are places nearby to eat and kavil is slightly cheaper.

Room Tip: There is one room they have with a glass door that is an extra room ... avoid staying in this one it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

-good free wifi
-peaceful
-decent restaurant
-efficient reception staff
-cheap and fast in-house laundry
-great peppermint cafe restaurant next door
-decent rooms
-can book lots of tours at reception
-unbeatable location

Negatives:
-inconsistent room cleaning: sometimes not until later afternoon, if at all
-fruit at breakfast not great quality
-shower can be very weak and no hot warer tap for sink
-beds very soft and quite uncomfortable

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kstar664
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I would have liked to rate it 7/10 instead of 8/10 if there was an option to do so. The place is good value for the money charged, the rooms are done up well and the amenities are good. Its located in the old city and is perfect if you want to visit the Sunday market, which is quite a highlight in Chiang Mai, and also some of the sights in walled city.
The minus points were.... the breakfast was not so good... coffee/tea, a couple of toasts with butter and jam and a little fruit, some of which was not fresh. The structure of the building is such that there is a small privacy issue , as one can hear clearly what is being spoken in the corridor outside, (and i assume it would be the same if i were speaking in my room)
And the free wi-fi in the room did not work too well.
It offers many travel services and others like laundry etc. The attached restaurant seemed to have a fair choice, although I did not get a chance to try it out.

Room Tip: I had a room near the stairs, and there was quite some sound when people were going up and down, and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo